Win big quick, then lose big quick. How to stop the cycle?

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My tip is to be patient, and play more where there is less effort.

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if you're playing good poker you will go through huge fluctuations. That's why it's important to have a big enough bankroll (50-100 buy-ins) and play at the proper stakes.

You need to play as if you don't care about the money.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set some limits on your down turn . If you turn .70 into 17 set a limit as to how low you let your stack go before leaving that table , like 14 or 15 , then go to another table and start at .70 again . Then you can only lose .70 at a time instead of your whole stack . Good luck .

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Used to happen a lot to me. I noticed I was suffering from winners tilt where I would bluff more or play cards I would normally throw away.

Now when it happens I am aware and stick to my ranges and bet sizes.

MeSayBeauxm

MeSayBeauxm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely have experienced swings as you describe them, though rarely on the cash tables, because I try to stick to tourneys. It's pretty much just straight down when I play cash. For me the self-control aspect of poker is way harder than the actual playing of poker, and is what has prevented me from achieving what I want.

If it makes you feel any better this is my biggest and most recent up and down, down, down. This graph is over 7 days. Ultimately, I just had to take months off get my own shit straight (meds, schedule, life) and enlist the help of my wife to ensure I don't do something this counter-productive again. https://i.imgur.com/QjN9SGV.jpg (It won't let me put the picture in-line for some reason (cliffs won ~10k, lost half back by 7 days later))

At least you recognize the issue, though fixing it isn't easy.

Last edited:
C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also look at how you play after a win. Some players will get greedy after a big win and start thinking that they can grow that by hitting hands and start chasing big pots. Make sure you are sticking to your A game.