Why is it so hard to be Tight?

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I qualify, being honest with myself, like a guy who wants to see the Flop constantly, paying the lowest amount possible, if someone raises is already reason to fold. This strategy is not helping me at all, because I end up losing and I get annoyed. I know if I adopt a more Tight style I will go further in a tournament and next to the awards, because I will play less, and with a strong hand range I will play aggressive and with that I can make my Fold opponents and win the pot.

Why is it so difficult to be a Tight player?

Why is a range like 45s, 46s, 58s, 67o, 89o, irresistible?

Why can not I fold these hands?

:icon_boun

Because when these hands connect they will crush those premium hands. Only problem is these hands only connect very rarely and aren't worth the money you pay to play them

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I qualify, being honest with myself, like a guy who wants to see the Flop constantly, paying the lowest amount possible, if someone raises is already reason to fold. This strategy is not helping me at all, because I end up losing and I get annoyed. I know if I adopt a more Tight style I will go further in a tournament and next to the awards, because I will play less, and with a strong hand range I will play aggressive and with that I can make my Fold opponents and win the pot.

I have no idea why someone would find it irresistible to play 58s, which is a complete garbage type hand.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no idea why someone would find it irresistible to play 58s, which is a complete garbage type hand.

I think you are mistaken in your words and you were unhappy in your statement, first I think you have to have respect for the sport and calling the letters out of the trash is absurd in my design. For me it is irresistible because I see many opportunities with these letters.

:confused:

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at that power. Look at what a beautiful and wonderful thing. Full house is we have a Flush on the board, someone can have an A on hand. Lots of opportunities. Look at my position, Cutoff, I went into that hand with a 3-bet light to see the Flop. Imagine the danger that the opponent is under if he bets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171018-190650.jpg
    Screenshot_20171018-190650.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the opposite problem. I play tight too long on tournaments. At the beginning, it's okay to be tight. But as the tournament goes, I get swallowed by the blinds.

I hate losing, like everybody else, and the best way to lose is by not playing. But by not playing, you can't win. A thing I have to work on myself.
Try cash games instead of tournaments. You seem like a very analytical type of player. I had your exact problem and found much less stress and unhappiness in the cash game format.

A

astein1987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think calling those types of hand is bad play at least very early in a tournament or sit and go when blinds are very slow and they could turn into a monster hand with a little luck on the flop. However in Ring-Game play and late stages of a tournament you definitely want to kick that habit!

Probably the reason you're playing them is out of boredom. I'd try playing on multiple tables or giving yourself something to do while playing to curb the boredom of waiting for a strong hand to play instead

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing tight takes effort and can be quite boring sometimes. What can be especially challenging, is playing tight and getting bad beat in the late stages of a tournament.

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because you haven't learned your starting range to the point of unconscious competence and you are currently an action junky. You love the adrenaline you get from sucking out on people and getting there with mediocre hands.

On a deeper level this may be a confidence issue. Deep down you don't believe you are a good enough player so you don't always see yourself winning. And because you don't see yourself winning, you know you are going to lose, because you know you are going to lose at some point then you decide if you are going to lose then it's going to be on your own terms. Losing to you is like when someone tells you they are going to slap you when you least expect it, you become anxious and even when you are not thinking about the slap, the idea of it is constantly running in the back ground. You know it's coming you just dont know when, so rather than wait around anxiously you decide that if you are going to get slapped, it'll be on your own terms. So you start provoking the slapper and getting away with it until eventually they slap you. Even though you just got slapped and it hurt, you are no longer on edge and anxious. Your mind is clear and you feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Bittersweet.

You're are not competitive. Your urge to gamble trumps your competitiveness. In which case poker may not be for you right now but you can change this by having some poker goals in the short term. Impose deadlines on them. This way you know that if you get silly or play stupid, you wont meet your poker goals.

4. Read the mental game of poker.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if we are talking about playing tournaments, playing tight may be easier because you have a good amount of chips to wait a few minutes while the correct cards arrive. As the tournament progresses, things get more tense because when entering the tournament Bubble, the bet grows so much that it becomes an important amount for your stay in that tournament .. there is where a good loose player can accommodate your position and have more tranquility .. but that also means risking loose play. If you decide to play tight that stage, it is the difficult part when you do not get the cards you expect .. playing tight becomes desperate without any playable card ..

In cash I think it is impossible to play really tight .. that simple.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You need to get honest with yourself about why you are playing poker.

There is nothing wrong with suited connectors. But I usually need several players in the hand to make it worth my while. It is possible to stack an opponent with these hands.

If you are looking for profit then you can not just call every hand all the way down - just because "you never know".

But, if you are playing for fun and are having fun then any play is ok.

Good luck !