Why is it so hard to be Tight?

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I qualify, being honest with myself, like a guy who wants to see the Flop constantly, paying the lowest amount possible, if someone raises is already reason to fold. This strategy is not helping me at all, because I end up losing and I get annoyed. I know if I adopt a more Tight style I will go further in a tournament and next to the awards, because I will play less, and with a strong hand range I will play aggressive and with that I can make my Fold opponents and win the pot.
Why is it so difficult to be a Tight player?
Why is a range like 45s, 46s, 58s, 67o, 89o, irresistible?
Why can not I fold these hands?
:icon_boun

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the problem is you,this is a very heavy style is actually as it seems,and in my opinion everything comes with experience,try different style,try passive,less profitable style but I went into a plus though in small!

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thing that helped me playing tighter is to make yourself a gameplan before you start a session and then to play on multiple tables at once. It takes a while to get used to the flood of information but in the end you will play less weak hands overall. Once you feel like you can handle 2 Tables try 3 then 4 and so on.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I qualify, being honest with myself, like a guy who wants to see the Flop constantly, paying the lowest amount possible, if someone raises is already reason to fold. This strategy is not helping me at all, because I end up losing and I get annoyed. I know if I adopt a more Tight style I will go further in a tournament and next to the awards, because I will play less, and with a strong hand range I will play aggressive and with that I can make my Fold opponents and win the pot.

Because our primitive brains want action, even when it's not good to get involved in a hand.

Because our brains find the matching colors and symbols appealing. We tend to overestimate those hands, because it makes us anticipate a flush (even though flushes are quite rare in reality).

Because you have yet to overcome those impulses. It's difficult. I'm still working on it myself.

zviko

zviko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes fall in that little trap especially when my chips are looking good, i gave myself a rule to not let the suits be the power but the denomination. Because at the end of the day even a KQs can get beat by a mysterious lurking 1 outta 4 A's out there.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For some it`s hard because it goes against our nature.I`m an aggressive personality,so i can`t play a passive game even if i tried,it goes against my nature.Sounds to me you might be the same,and why would you want to play like a nit?It`s soooo boring,,,and it`s not profitable,sure you might fold your way to the bubble,once in awhile(yippee!)but in the end,is that the player you aspire to be?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even tight players play the above hands, but you have to know when to play them.
You may not find alot of spots to play them, but they are playable.

You came to Cardschat to talk poker and learn more, so post some hand histories in the Hand analysis section so we can pick apart your play.

And might I add that your biggest problem is you lack discipline.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even tight players play the above hands, but you have to know when to play them.
You may not find alot of spots to play them, but they are playable.

You came to Cardschat to talk poker and learn more, so post some hand histories in the Hand analysis section so we can pick apart your play.

And might I add that your biggest problem is you lack discipline.

:2in1:
What's the best article about Tight, could you direct me to study?

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lack of descipline

taurusix

taurusix

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to be on a tighter side, simple advice is to start with hand charts. Focus on starting hands and recommended play from certain positions. You can still play all those somewhat nice looking hands from late position, don't forget it. It is not so hard to be a tight player, it just can be sometimes frustrating when you get card dead and left with a small stack. In this case you just play basic push/fold and that's it.
Good luck in your efforts [emoji111]

V

Verfox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you man, but after you see the difference you'll get used to it, fast!

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to be on a tighter side, simple advice is to start with hand charts. Focus on starting hands and recommended play from certain positions. You can still play all those somewhat nice looking hands from late position, don't forget it. It is not so hard to be a tight player, it just can be sometimes frustrating when you get card dead and left with a small stack. In this case you just play basic push/fold and that's it.
Good luck in your efforts [emoji111]

I think I'm starting to learn how to play poker.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe start out focusing on position, you dont want to play those hands in early position, so maybe treat yourself and save those hand for opportunities on button or cutoff where you think the villans may be good to steal from.

EllinLucky

EllinLucky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not in vain called gambling!It's hard to contain your excitement and not see the flop once again or go all in.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such connectors is better to play in late position and the small blind and big blind...

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be tight, appear 'tight enough' to pull off bluffs and hero calls. Understand?

It's about appearing disciplined but really being wild.

J

Jordenandrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's like throwing a wiener down a hallway. Hahah jk but it takes the thrill out of it I get bored when I play tight and passive.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much for you being strengthening my learning, I am reading everything, I always visit the main page of some and I take a look at some interesting topics and topics, it is very productive for my learning is being part of this world here in Cardschat.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play weak hands, you need to consider with any oponets play. Know their intended ranges. Know how often they fall into the cbet. Without all this, it is difficult to play weak hands. It seems to me so.

Gulas

Gulas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the opposite problem. I play tight too long on tournaments. At the beginning, it's okay to be tight. But as the tournament goes, I get swallowed by the blinds.

I hate losing, like everybody else, and the best way to lose is by not playing. But by not playing, you can't win. A thing I have to work on myself.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we should learn to steal blinds, learn what position is very important in the game, know how to take advantage of the position when we are the last to act, know how to bet, not to make bizarre bets, know how to read the board and fold losing hands, we must recognize that even playing right there is a variance and even the best poker player loses.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try folding many hands in a row. You will feel better having more discipline.