why did i lose?

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The board is 2 pairs KK & JJ (your pair 88 is low). The villain kicker A is higher than your 8 kicker.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bigger pairs and A kicker

Antonioadv

Antonioadv

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A melhor mão são dois pares, K's e Js. Eles tiveram um A kicker, você teve um 8 kicker.
But he doesn't have a pair in his hand, I do, if he doesn't have a pair in his hand how can he use the cards on the table, and even using the cards on the table, he doesn't pair with any card that's in his hand.

Antonioadv

Antonioadv

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Você tem que jogar as 5 melhores cartas, certo? Você não pode ter 3 pares (6 cartas). Sua melhor mão neste bordo foi KKJJ8 e o vilão tinha KKJJA.
But he doesn't have a pair in his hand, I do, if he doesn't have a pair in his hand how can he use the cards on the table, and even using the cards on the table, he doesn't pair with any card that's in his hand.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Exactly as you said above.

In texas holden, which is the most popular variant, you can use or not use the cards on the board to compose your game. Unlike Omaha where you are required to use at least 2 cards from your hand.

That said, in this variant you will always use the best possible combination to make your hand, even if the top 5 cards are the ones on the board.

Good luck at the tables!!!

aquilex2799

aquilex2799

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are many spots where you 1 card of your hand. Sometimes neither. Imagine this scenario: you have KK in your hand. You shove and a villain calls it with AK. The board brings 77577. There is a quads on the board. You can't use your pair. To complete the 5 cards you need to use 1 card from your hand (K) and the villain use his A, so he wins. Can you understand?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Your pocket pair was counterfeited, and you were playing the board with an 8 kicker. Because of your pair getting counterfeited and even though there hand never improved their ace kicker was the difference.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Your opponent has an ace. There are two pairs on the table, and they are both older than your pair. So your opponent has the better hand.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Two pair higher than his pair, villain had a higher A card (kicker)

nighton

nighton

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Ur pair got counterfeited .
Ur hand is kkjj8 and his hand is kkjjA he has a better hand, u should check the basics of texas hold'em .

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
You have to learn the rules if you’re going to play, otherwise you will be confused like you are. Good luck!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In NLH you make the best possible 5-card hand from the 5 community cards and 2 hole cards. Unlike PLO there is no rule, you have to use both your hole cards. Use can use 1 hole card, as the winner did here, to make KKJJA, which is 2 pair with an A kicker. Or you can even use no hole cards, which is called playing the board. For instance on a board like AsKhQcJsTh the board is a broadway straight, which is also the nuts. So regardless what cards players hold, everyone will have a broadway straight, and they will chop the pot.

As others have said, what happened to your hand is called a counterfeit. On the flop you had KK88J, which is a decent hand. Esentially like having third pair. Definitely good enough to bluff catch over one street. On the turn you "improved" to KKJJ8, but unfortunately most hands, your opponent could have, improved to something, which now beat your "improved" hand. Your hand is also something jokingly referred to as the "3 pair hand" referring to the fact, there is no such thing as 3 pair in NLH. But new players frequently misread and overvalue a counterfeited pair :)

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You have KKJJ8. They have KKJJA, which is the best 5 card hand between you. Ace beats 8 every time.

DanielNeg

DanielNeg

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NP
Chips
Did you get it my friend or should I explain this to you in simple words.
I have been there as well so I can feel you!
Let me know.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it's easy friend you have a pair 88 he has a pair of JK because he has A what gives him a pair because of that you lost just in the future you'll know you just had to play more aggressively and try to knock him out so that he throws his cards or when you show cards you lose, you had to take this into account in advance

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
it's easy friend you have a pair 88 he has a pair of JK because he has A what gives him a pair because of that you lost just in the future you'll know you just had to play more aggressively and try to knock him out so that he throws his cards or when you show cards you lose, you had to take this into account in advance
Actually, he no longer has a pair of 8's, because his pair has been counterfeited by the two bigger pairs on the flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another common situation, where new players sometimes misread and therefore misplay there hand is having second pair or a board, where the top card is paired. Like for instance J6 on a QQJ board. On the flop its pretty clear, that we have a weak made hand, also known as showdown value. However the board now runs out QQJ-8-6, and on the river the new player is very excited, because "LOL now I have two pair". But the 6 on the river changed nothing. He still has QQ-JJ-8, just like he did on the turn, and he still loses to all the same hands, he did before, including a Q or even a J with a 9 or better kicker.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You've had quite a few different angles of this explained, it seems strange or complicated but it is actually very simple...

Everyone has 2 'personal' cards, and there are 5 'community' cards on the table face up which everyone can share...

So when all the cards are dealt, there are 7 cards available.

We always use the best possible combination of 5 cards.

Because KK and JJ are bigger pairs than 88, your pair of eights do not feature in you final hand....

As others have mentioned, in the end your hand is this : KK JJ 8

The other 8 is not used because you only play a 5 card hand.

Your hand is KK JJ 8.

Your opponent's hand is KK JJ A.

Because you both share the face up cards on the board.

You both have two pairs, kings and jacks.

There is a little rule which states 'Kickers play'.

The "Kicker" is the top card you have not involved in any pairs or the such like.

So your kicker is 8. Opponent's kicker is A.

A > 8.

Opponent wins.

Knowing these kind of subtle details are absolutely crucial when playing for money.

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't understand how I lost that hand, can someone explain? I am the player Antoniodivmg
after the showdown, each player has two pair (K and pair of J) but his kicker (8) is lower than his opponent's (A). remember that the table cards are for all players. that is, your pocket pair of(8) is useless, because the two pairs on the table are bigger than your pocket pair