Why Do People Bet on Draws?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have began to notice that a lot of players will bet when they are on a draw. I'll see it relatively often if hero has a flush draw or an open-ended straight draw where they will bet when they flop a draw and are checked to in position. Some of them even being pot sized bets. Would it not make sense to check and pick up the free turn? I kind of understand that it gives fold equity to bet, and I can kind of understand if you are out of position and would rather not play out the rest of the hand out of position if you miss, but you would think that those folds become more valuable as action if you hit your draw, specifically in position, right? Just curious, still learning about holdem and this situation seems to come up a lot.

This is why you should raise and re-raise opponents that are betting into you.

Especially suspicious behavior if you are the original raiser preflop with a strong hand - like a big pair in holdem. If they have a strong hand on the flop then why not let you c-bet and then check raise you for value?

For all the good reasons a player has to be their draw - you need to define their hand. If they are betting their draw then usually they will just flat your raise.

If you play live then you can get a lot more of a read off their body language and facial expressions.

Good luck !

Last edited:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is basically 2 reasons to bet....to build the pot and to narrow the field.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Everyone! On the question: "Why do people bet on draws?" I can give the next my answer on the present moment:
I think, these people can't stop in time, and they continue to play by inertia, because these players think, since they bringed
money (chips) in the bank, means they need to take their more quickly back, and also to try by quickly to earn money else...
This means these players, first of all, think about the money, but is not a quality your game, and therefore them are not enough patience, and main, these players not learned change the speeds in the Poker... But able to change the speeds in the Poker is
very important element of Skill. This may to compare with driving a car: who able in time to brake, these people will hit
in a car accident rare, or they are not have accidents generally! It's same in the Poker! Therefore, that less to hit in the uncomfortable
situations, and lose less money (chips), need to learn change the speeds: this process is very difficult, but is very necessary,
and need it constantly and consistently to perfect, if you want to develop in the Poker, as successful player!:jd4:

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When betting on a draw on the flop, you either want to

A. Protect against other hands
B. Build a pot for yourself if you hit it
C. Disguising your hand so, if you miss, can try to steal it on the river

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have began to notice that a lot of players will bet when they are on a draw. I'll see it relatively often if hero has a flush draw or an open-ended straight draw where they will bet when they flop a draw and are checked to in position. Some of them even being pot sized bets. Would it not make sense to check and pick up the free turn? I kind of understand that it gives fold equity to bet, and I can kind of understand if you are out of position and would rather not play out the rest of the hand out of position if you miss, but you would think that those folds become more valuable as action if you hit your draw, specifically in position, right? Just curious, still learning about holdem and this situation seems to come up a lot.

basically you want villians to think.... if you got 4 people with you in a hand and you hit open ended str8 flop .... you have low expectations but if you do a bet might drop some of those guys... I get a ton of guys to fold with follow up bets myself in these situatio the one key though is simple if they got a hand !!!!! top pair good kicher etc.. you probably aint getting them off this hand

real thing is after initial bet knowing your opponents and you can honestly ONLY get this by playing them and a ton of hands etc...

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When betting on a draw on the flop, you either want to

A. Protect against other hands
B. Build a pot for yourself if you hit it
C. Disguising your hand so, if you miss, can try to steal it on the river

Good explanation. Also I can add that you always want 2 things in poker - position and initiative. So bet on a draw gives you the 2nd thing.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's sensible to bet every draw or you'll be over bluffing but betting with a draw to the nuts has two reasons for doing so if everyone folds you win often without the best hand and secondly the implied odds. you also create a bigger pot if you hit. Combo draws or nut flush draws players often play them really aggressively which can put pressure on one pair hands etc

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bet on a draw to get people to fold. I do not want to go to showdown. I bet to make them believe I have the high pair on the table and can improve my hand with a draw. If I sit there and check, it gets rid of no players.

I completely agree with this. Checking shows weakness at times. You want people to believe you have the best hand. On the flip side though, you do need to be cautious when chasing a straight or flush when others are betting out.

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most would agree you can't never bluff in NLHE and draws make a good portion of the best bluff candidates (that and blocking hands) serving the dual purpose of capitalizing on fold equity when behind and as backup when your opponent outflops you providing tons of implied-odds value.

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a huge difference between theory and practical. When we bet on a draw we go for implied odds and also if we have good stack size then betting is reasonable.
The odds work over huge sample size but sometimes in some games we do find to hit the flush very often and successfully either because of RNG or luck or due to poker odds. Though in ST games I advice to go for flush just because of the nature of the game.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason you bet on draws is because of the odds. You know the odds of filling a flush draw or a straight, You know how much is in the pot and you know how much it will cost you to bet. Factoring one against the other will let you know whether to continue or fold

M

mrT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet on a draw to get people to fold. I do not want to go to showdown. I bet to make them believe I have the high pair on the table and can improve my hand with a draw. If I sit there and check, it gets rid of no players.

i agree totally with you offcourse it again depends on how the action went and pot and all but ye i agree