Why Defend Your Blinds?

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, i tend to call more frequently in the blinds with a wide range as antes move up. You start to get priced in when people 2 5 and 3x, but it has to be something playable. If you're defending with J7os you are going to have a long day.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why should blinds be defended though? Is it because we are already "invested" in the pot when other players aren't (excluding ante games)? Is it connected to being out of position?

It's never because you have already invested anything. That's absolute worst reason to make a call in poker because when you've invested too much in a bad had you're just giving your self a reason to invest more.

The main reason for defending blinds is you are betting getting better pot odds and you're closing the action. If someone makes a 3.5 BB raise and everyone including the SB folds you have 5BB in the pot and 2.5BB to call. You're getting 2 to 1 pot odds, which are better pot odds than anyone before you got. And because you will be closing the action you don't have to worry about someone 3-bet squeezing you.

So when you think you are 33% or better against villains range you should consider possibly defending. But keep in mind you will be out of position. Against an EP open you should be much tighter than a button open because the EP player will have tighter range than the button, esp. if the button player likes to steal. Always adjust your defense ranges to the player and their table position. You should be defending raises from the button and SB much more than earlier positions.

Last edited:
Scooopy

Scooopy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
protecting your stack is an integral part of poker, but it is important to understand when to defend and when to give up without a fight. Many factors, such as the stage of the tournament, the position of the opponent's attack, your stack.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah, I do not really waste my time defending my blinds. There are bigger fish to fry. Now, I will take advantage of a BB special when the hand presents itself.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The big blind is the most important position. It should be played more loosely than any other. It is very important to be able to properly defend your big blind and reduce the effectiveness of your opponents' raises. Any renowned professional knows that playing the BB right is one of the keys to being successful at the poker table.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Defending blinds is necessary otherwise you get blind out by losing a lot of chips and also you are sending a message that they cannot walk all over you