When is it good to trap in poker?

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is ever such a move lol. Sometimes the trapper becomes trapped in poker. Limping with the best hand is a no no you should always raise. Check taisng is my thing, but sometimes it's costly. When do yall utilize this attribute? :confused:

In my opinion, even when you, as the author of this topic, do not play poker, you are already trapped. If you ask such a question, then you are already trapped. Why? It's simple - a player with poker skills that will allow him to play with profit will never ask such a question in his life, because he does not set traps, but plays according to tactics and strategy. You, not possessing the skills of the game, are already trapped, thinking that you can lure someone into the trap)))

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Sometimes the answers to such questions strike me as far too rigid.

Surely, the idea in poker is a lack of predictability. So logically there will be times to trap and other times to raise. To me it is like saying there is only one way to play aces if anyone says never trap. That's absurd.

I love trapping in large part because your opponents will frequently have no idea where they are in the hand. If, as it happens trapping allows your opponent's hand to develop, then so be it - that's poker. Every play does not succeed and aces can be cracked.

However, if you do not have trapping in your arsenal I believe you are limiting your gameplay.

K

Knockofff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with your post 100 percent i enjoy trapping my favorite is a set of dueces as it is always a good hand to get paid off

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its good to trap an opponent who does something too much- they steal too much, they play too many hands, they cbet too often, they call too much, etc.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When you aren't the agressor and have the best hand.

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only time you should try to trap is when you flop the virtual nuts with no possible way that your opponent can catch up. You need to somehow get money into the pot without chasing them away.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You must have a situation, where the possibility of losing is very low, you are in a late street, and the opponents seem to have good hands also, but yours is little better!

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The concept of trapping is over-rated due to players like Phil Hellmuth.

Checking with Strong hands should be done to protect checking range. One can make exploitative adjustments by checking more often against aggressive opponents.

Logically it makes sense to build a big pot with Strong hands.

Deadrabbit

Deadrabbit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Walking the tightrope

Table selection is the key to success.
Therefore knowing your opponents on said table is the true key.
So when do you trap, obviously you're going to trap aggressive players, knowing how to trap these aggressive players can be tricky. Also realize that when you're trapping what is it they are calling with? Are you leaving yourself room to get out if need be? If the answer is no many times you end up trapping yourself. That is the tightrope dance.
And poker there just isn't a definitive answer for any play. This is why computers can't beat humans in poker because it's situational. So when dealing with the nuances of complex strategic play most of these things you're going to have to really figure out yourself playing incredible amounts of volume.
Cheers

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In tournaments it is actually GTO strategy to sometimes put AA and KK in your calling range, when stacks are short. The reason is, the stack to pot ratio will still be low, so you can still comfortably get it in postflop on most boards other than maybe KK on AXX or something similar terrible. But in cash games there is usually very little reason to not always take the aggressive line preflop with these hands.

Postflop the main condition for slowplaying is, that you are unlikely to get drawn out on. You should also lean towards a slowplay, if you have the board so crushed, that its difficult for your opponents to have anything good enough to pay you off. Like when you have JJ on JJ2 rainbow. Its also often good to check in way ahead way behind situations, like if you have AA or KK on the same JJ2 board.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's good to trap when you feel like it.