When To Call 3-Bets

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am finding myself calling 3-Bets out of position quite often, and was wondering, what is a good call vs fold percentage? I believe I am good at reading opponents, especially ones that are very loose/manic, but I feel like this may be a leak in my game.

I am calling most 3bets with a range involving 77-QQ, most suited aces, and the occasional suited connectors(KQs, KJs, QJs, 78s), while 4-Betting with only the top of my range.

I play at the micro stakes, where everyone calls everything. Perhaps I am calling too much now myself?

I am basing most calls off of the opponent I am facing. If I know the opponent to be loose, or don't know anything about the opponent, I call. If I know the opponent to be tight, I will fold unless I am getting good enough odds. I don't know my exact call vs fold percentages, but I would guess I am calling upwards of 40%.

Curious to hear some feedback.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If a player has already set a 3-bet and reached the showdown, pay attention to what hands he had in these hands. If you have seen that he has placed a 3-bet with a hand such as, for example 44, you can begin to add such hands as pocket fives (and better) to your range of calling 3-bets of this opponent.

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am finding myself calling 3-Bets out of position quite often, and was wondering, what is a good call vs fold percentage? I believe I am good at reading opponents, especially ones that are very loose/manic, but I feel like this may be a leak in my game.

I am calling most 3bets with a range involving 77-QQ, most suited aces, and the occasional suited connectors(KQs, KJs, QJs, 78s), while 4-Betting with only the top of my range.

I play at the micro stakes, where everyone calls everything. Perhaps I am calling too much now myself?

I am basing most calls off of the opponent I am facing. If I know the opponent to be loose, or don't know anything about the opponent, I call. If I know the opponent to be tight, I will fold unless I am getting good enough odds. I don't know my exact call vs fold percentages, but I would guess I am calling upwards of 40%.

Curious to hear some feedback.

i agee with the post before me. an don't try to look at your quota. it is mostly an indicator not more. for examble you get 3 times AA and every time 3-bet. wold you fold tthe third time because the quota is 2:!: OF course it is an idicator, but i orientate me at the range of my hands like my predessor wrote

C

Cloxy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know that I should make less calls of the 3-bet especially on the river.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold 3-bet optimal range is around 65-70% in low stakes game according to Nathan Williams.

I think when playing standard 100BB deep, you should not be calling weaker suited aces which could easily be dominated by villain 3bet ranges. You may be better off 4bet with A5s,KQs from CO when facing 3bet from aggressive BTN. Nathan Williams has shared a generic range calling 3bet in his website but you should adjust based on position

https://www.blackrain79.com/2017/09/how-to-defend-against-3-bets.html

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-bets are serious business. I easily fold dominated hands like KQ,KJ,AJ,AT. I always calls as long as the implied odds ratio is good with a small pocket pair.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3-bets are serious business. I easily fold dominated hands like KQ,KJ,AJ,AT. I always calls as long as the implied odds ratio is good with a small pocket pair.

I agree with this response because it is what I try to do also.

I'm rarely flatting.....come over the top or fold.

Good luck !

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A pre-flop 3-bet is an effective way to isolate weak opponents and limit the number of players that see a flop.
But how you react when Facing a 3-Bet and the frequency of your flatting or calling is an other thing to consider yourself by analizing the tendencies of the 3-bettor is he just a maniac a loose aggro player a Tight p^layer or just a nit once you answered to this question you must look to the 3 bet size and compare it to your effective stack is it enough to make you get to the turn or showdown if you intend to call dpending on what your holding and how well your hand will realize its equity so try to avoid the Nit or Tight players 3bets since they do it with the very top of their range like AA KK or AK suited and make big folds pre-flop with JJ 10-10 and 99 4bet fold QQ like 30% and rejam it like 20% 50% big fold with QQ which is not easy to do but against tight and nit players it's better to fold JJ QQ then busting or loosing a big part of your stack
The LAG or loose and aggressive player that 3-bets at a very high frequency can be exploited with a wider range or with more 4-bets and calls.

The size of the raise is the most important factor to consider when facing a 3-bet as it determines the pot odds we are being offered.

if you have a clear idea about your pot odds you will know what equity is needed to profitably call against our opponent’s range.
So if you started with some poor pairs 22 to 88 it will be hard to realize your equity as they are easily dominated by the whole Vilain or 3bettor range however low and middle Suited connectors are better to carry on and see the flop since they play better post flop and realize their equity better than premium hands or suited AK KQ JQ as they should be blocked or behind most of the times against Aggressor range if he is a nit one and will perform well as a 4bet against the loose aggro or maniacs.
Players at low stakes care less about 3bet and will ridiculize you when they hit their low sets and make you get all kind of bad beats with your 3bet AA KK as they will get easily sets of cards like 66 to 10-10 which will look like a safe board for your continuation with hand like QQ KK AA when board is just 6-9-10 or 2-5-7 or 3-6-9 believe me if they check or bet small they trapped you and if you make your move and Cbet or make big pot they will rejam and take your stack with their sets or starights and flushes.
So I will recommand to flat your big pairs and call moreover with Suited connectors like 76s, 87s, 98s T9s J9s, T8s as they should be a part of your flatting range since you can easily get your monster draws with this cards then with Monster hands.

LanaRhoades

LanaRhoades

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I raise and the vilian 3bet I call only with monsters hands.or maybe I go all in.