What's the best way to play 2 2

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it was final table that was full and i was small stack i would fold however if it was beginning of tourny and blinds were still small i would just most likely limp hoping to catch a set.
At the final table the blinds will be very high, so if I was a small stack I would be more likely to shove with 22.

P

pokermatch

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time you should just call with 2s. The thing is when you go playing with a small pair like that, you are looking for the trio!! I mean someone will usually get a pair against you. 2s is a hand used to win big bucks!... Now if your only playing against one player, you could go raising with it cause theres a good chance the other person wont catch anything, but i mean 2s could make you a lot of money if a lot of people limp in with you and you catch it. Thats the kind of hand it is.

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a re-post but it needs to be re-posted...

These are the odds of overcards flopping to your pocket pairs.
KK 22.6%
QQ 41.4%
JJ 57.0%
TT 69.5%
99 79.3%
88 86.7%
77 92.1%
66 95.8%
55 98.1%
44 99.4%
33 99.9%

Pulled off of 2+2.

You'll notice some interesting things here about these numbers. The odds of an overcard flopping with 66 are only 4% lower than with 22! In fact, it's not until we get to Jakes that we stand a reasonable chance of holding an overpair. Even your Tens are highly susceptible to paint on the flop.

I think the chart above will help players decide where their ranges will be. It's going to be a personal decision and will change based on the table you're playing.

T

The Muppetteer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am an advocate of limping with 22 from early or middle position and raising 3xBB with 22 from late position CO - BB. If I am in early position having limped and there is a raise I may call depending on the size of the raise and the amount of callers or players behind.

I would throw 22 away to a raise and call or reraise but apart from that 22 is a hand I love to play as when you flop a set it takes all by surprise.

The Muppetteer

SydTheCat

SydTheCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The trick with 2 2 is make them become bigger than they are. I will sometimes raise them 3-4xbb in EP or MP. Limping in with 22 to me is weak. Raises in EP is considered strong, so now your twos suddenly become pocket kings or aces.
Of course dont try this with short stacks at the table. They may push and you will be forced to call.
IMO.

M

MENGAOPORRA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best way to play it is not to play it ! Fold ...

S

SlipperyPete

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I loves me a set of deuces. If i can get there cheap you can bet I'll be playing em. Yesterday late in a 90 person sng sitting with a medium sized stack, about 14 people left I picked up pocket 2's in late position, limped in hit my set and doubled up on a guy that hit a pair of aces on the flop.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The odds of somebody hitting pair with any card on the flop are about 32%. The odds of hitting trips on the flop are about 11%. Lets say you call and there are 2 others plus you still in. If the others have different cards which is likely then there is a 64% chance that one of the them will have a pair after the flop. Not good odds for you. Having said that I have called against limpers and hit trips which is nice. If however you are trying to steal the blinds then it can be worth a pop. If you dont hit though you may need to be agressive pre flop to bluff your way out of the hand.

nutshooter

nutshooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will only play Dueces if it is a matter of calling the blind to play. Someone once told me that twos statisticly get married almost every time. I don't know what would seperate the hand from others but after hearing that i noticed that it was true *Knock on woood*. Only call the blind and get on your knees and pray that a 2 hits on the flop. I would only call if the blinds were very low or I was a very large stack

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just re-read this thread:

2 thumbs up!

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level