What Is My Problem

J

JAJONGLEUR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems that I have developed some sort of mental problem. I don't know if I'm alone in this or if there are others that have this problem. When I play in a tournament, I make a lot of my reads correctly, I wait for good hands in good positions and I get my chips in when I know I have the edge. I cash most of the time and make the final table once in awhile. However, when I go play cash games I'm a fish that just keeps feeding players. Does anyone else have trouble going from one game to the other?

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It seems that I have developed some sort of mental problem. I don't know if I'm alone in this or if there are others that have this problem. When I play in a tournament, I make a lot of my reads correctly, I wait for good hands in good positions and I get my chips in when I know I have the edge. I cash most of the time and make the final table once in awhile. However, when I go play cash games I'm a fish that just keeps feeding players. Does anyone else have trouble going from one game to the other?

I have to admit that I have the same issue. I play tourneys and sit & go s and work hard for long periods of time to build a decent bankroll only to go lose most or all of it whenever I sit at a cash table.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I can share some of the same. What I found myself doing was betting maniacal. Not my style or comfort zone. So, I adjusted my game back to tight, top 15-20%, and being aware of the presence of each player type by using a simple HUD. I stray away from those until I land a top 10%. Then, take advantage of those with a VPIP of 40+. It made a difference for me. I was and am playing micros. If all players at the table are TAGs or NITs, I get away from that table soon. I look for tables that have the crazy folks and providing my good hand ratio is reasonable, I'll stay there for awhile. Most those folks, from what I believe are in for a fast buck and will throw their cash at you. I found I had to wait, be patient for that special moment. You can not trick a person who is drunk and does not know the game.
Good Luck!

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For me playing tournaments involves paying a known entry fee and then it is just playing with the chips to try and cash / win - a known cost to play. In cash games I find myself treating my money in front of me as just that, and not chips so to speak. So I have trouble playing some positions as I would normally play them in a MTT.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing at cash tables, the tactics of the game are different, the psychological pressure on you is different. In the tournament there are chips and here is cash. You start to behave differently in the game.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Cash game are different from each other. You can be a great tournament player and a loser in cash and visa versa. I have done OK in both but I am a good tournament player and a so so cash game player. It not as uncommon as you might think.

A

AndersOh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ditto

I find the same problem. When I’ve been playing tourneys where you can play a much wider range of hands and a loser style due to the stack of chips as opposed to changing tactics for a cash game where I’ve had to really teach myself to play a much tighter game. Cos it’s my money I’m losing. But sometimes it’s hard to shake one style for another especially if you’ve had a good run on one or the other. All I can say is read up and follow the experts.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hello.
I had a similar problem. I also lost money in cash games. And I found a solution to this problem. My decision is very simple, I just don't play cash games, I only play tournaments and my bankroll is growing.

F

findybaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a different mindset between the two games, One is for chips the other is for cash. There is a psycological aversion with some players who don't like losing their cash

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It 's cash poker you play a lot more hands and it 's subject to greater variance , not to mention that it requires more study about ranges and post flop play , so it 's not that you 're a fish , it's that maybe you're not ready for it yet this mode of poker.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is the problem ?
If cash games bring you losses, then you just need to stop playing them. Everything is very simple. Make a decision for yourself and play only those games that increase your bankroll. Obviously, cash games and tournaments are completely different disciplines and they have a huge difference between them.

V

vladikov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Do not play cash tables but only tournaments

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what I would do is take 100BB and sit at the table and try to duplicate it. once this is done, leave the table and come back the next day or after a break.
If you lose the 100BB it is all for that day.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

They are different ... I realized that I am a tournament player at cash tables, I avoid them for the same reason that you count ...yo creo que tenes que seguir jugando torneos!!!si te es mas rentable!!!

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

I think this is normal. Its a part of poker I don't think is talked about enough - The mental shift from tourneys to cash. I think what it is for me is that I can be patient when I see a structure that is progressing, but I can't be patient when the structure doesn't change like in a cash game, cos I feel like I have to play!

My worry is that this makes me a bad player, as it means I'm not making decisions based on the situation, but based on my thoughts. Maybe I am right, but I hope not......do you see what cash games do to me!!! haha:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

J

JAJONGLEUR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to admit that I have the same issue. I play tourneys and sit & go s and work hard for long periods of time to build a decent bankroll only to go lose most or all of it whenever I sit at a cash table.

Yes. And then I wonder what i just wasted the last 5 hours for. I seriously need to just stay in the tourneys until i get a grip on the problem and subsequently the solution. I always had a better feel for MTT's but my cash game has slipped. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

Hello. I can share some of the same. What I found myself doing was betting maniacal. Not my style or comfort zone. So, I adjusted my game back to tight, top 15-20%, and being aware of the presence of each player type by using a simple HUD. I stray away from those until I land a top 10%. Then, take advantage of those with a VPIP of 40+. It made a difference for me. I was and am playing micros. If all players at the table are TAGs or NITs, I get away from that table soon. I look for tables that have the crazy folks and providing my good hand ratio is reasonable, I'll stay there for awhile. Most those folks, from what I believe are in for a fast buck and will throw their cash at you. I found I had to wait, be patient for that special moment. You can not trick a person who is drunk and does not know the game.
Good Luck!

You may be on to something here. I do find myself chasing more in cash while in tournaments, I either have it or not and I always have an exit strategy. Cash games the only strategy is going to the cashier. I will work on my patience and thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two different formats so Cash needs more time, not the same as tournaments even though same rules, some ICM shoves don't exist, just a different beast. can't expect to succeed at cash from an MTT base

J

JAJONGLEUR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me playing tournaments involves paying a known entry fee and then it is just playing with the chips to try and cash / win - a known cost to play. In cash games I find myself treating my money in front of me as just that, and not chips so to speak. So I have trouble playing some positions as I would normally play them in a MTT.

So you're the opposite? You play tight like squeezing? I am so curious. I get so much looser with starting hands sin cash. MTT's I throw away hands that many wouldn't comprehend. Mostly based on position but other factors figure prominently though i couldn't name one now

Cash game are different from each other. You can be a great tournament player and a loser in cash and visa versa. I have done OK in both but I am a good tournament player and a so so cash game player. It not as uncommon as you might think.

I'm beginning to think you're right. The same game separated by a common currency.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, cash and MTT are really different things. In cash, be patient and dare to be - be patient - remember that top pair on the flop is not the nuts. It's just that mistakes in a tournament are much cheaper than in a cash game.

J

JAJONGLEUR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find the same problem. When I’ve been playing tourneys where you can play a much wider range of hands and a loser style due to the stack of chips as opposed to changing tactics for a cash game where I’ve had to really teach myself to play a much tighter game. Cos it’s my money I’m losing. But sometimes it’s hard to shake one style for another especially if you’ve had a good run on one or the other. All I can say is read up and follow the experts.
So you play tighter in cash?

Hello.
I had a similar problem. I also lost money in cash games. And I found a solution to this problem. My decision is very simple, I just don't play cash games, I only play tournaments and my bankroll is growing.

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner. This is what i propose to do at least for a spell.

There's a different mindset between the two games, One is for chips the other is for cash. There is a psycological aversion with some players who don't like losing their cash

Okay. I agree to this, but here's the thing. I don't care enough about money. It's losing for me. Money is just what it takes to play the game.

It 's cash poker you play a lot more hands and it 's subject to greater variance , not to mention that it requires more study about ranges and post flop play , so it 's not that you 're a fish , it's that maybe you're not ready for it yet this mode of poker.

I can grab hold of this and improve my weakness. Nothing better than the glass half full

what I would do is take 100BB and sit at the table and try to duplicate it. once this is done, leave the table and come back the next day or after a break.
If you lose the 100BB it is all for that day.

Did I just hear you say everything in moderation?

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner. This is what i propose to do at least for a spell.

At least Lena has made up her mind. After all, we should go with what works for us. I've been away from cash tables myself for a while now and I can't complain.
Good luck to you all.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I have the same difficult, but it's because when I play tournaments I'm more a tight agressive player and for my experience you need to play more agressive when playing cash games. It's funny because I can play this way when I play omaha cash games, but not NLH, so I rarely play NLH cash games anymore.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I just can't cope with having like $30 at a $0.50 $1.00 cash table and running well. I get KK in the BB and button raises to $4, I pop it to $15 and he shoves (about $70) with A 10 offsuit. I call and the A comes and you are on the rail...happened today in first hour of play. Could have played several tournaments with many more hours of play and fun.

P

plusssev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash it is not tournaments at all there are different games. In cash you usually play in 100bbs and money sharing not like in tournaments. You should start learn cash to play it well.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tournament poker and cash games are different disciplines, in tournaments, the growth of blinds contributes to a more aggressive and loose game, you need to constantly increase the stack. in the cash game, time does not rush you, the starting hands are much stronger and there are more traps.