What Limits Should I play?

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo two keeps you busy...normally what I do is I start up 2 or 3 tournaments on several sites at the same time and I don't keep adding them because I head deep into one I need to concentrate more hope this helps a little bit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Good advice, I have been playing one MTT and cash games using more of a TAG style and it has been paying off. The deeper I get in the MTT less cash games I play. Last night when I got down to the final 3 tables I quite playing all the cash games and focused in on the MTT and won. Being abel to quit the CG when ever you want is a huge plus for me and I can usually win my turny buy-ins back. BR is slowly climbing its way back up :D

Thanks for the advice

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1)I know dropping back down level is the right thing to do but I still would have over 100 buy ins for the $1 level. Do I keep playing the $1 games till I get to the $300 and then play $3 games? If this is the right move what happens at $285 do I drop back down to $1 games?
it isn't either/or. You can take shots at the level you're looking to move up to; e.g. take $15 and use it for a 5-buyin shot at the $3 level. See how long it lasts (making it last isn't the goal though), and try to evaluate whether your game is good enough to move up / what you need to work on to be good enough. If you drop below $3, go back to $1 and work on what you've identified, then take another shot.

2) What is the best advice or rules to stop the bleeding on loosing days? I think I'm a wining player I just keep getting pooped on with set over set, stuff like that.
If you're playing well and losing because the cards are running bad, there's no need to stop playing unless it's affecting your ability to continue playing well. Some days, you just can't win. Those days aren't an issue if you're properly rolled. The tricky part is not fooling yourself that you're playing well when you're actually not.

And remember that "I'm a winning player" is not synonymous with either "I win every session" or "I'm a winning player when I play my B game".

3) Does any one use guide lines wen going into a session? Such as if you don't cash in the first 3 games don't play any more for a couple of hours/the day.
I don't. I quit asap when I feel I'm off my game, which can be for many different reasons from playing worse than my usual game to not being focused or interested enough. How much I've lost has never mattered because I don't play with money I'm unprepared to lose, both BR-wise and mentally / emotionally.

But that's me. Figure out what works for you, which may involve some trial and error.

4) Should I stick to one type of game only? SnGs/MTT or Cash/Ring games
For recreational players, I generally suggest playing whatever you feel like at any given time. I wouldn't mix game types at one time, but if you feel e.g. like playing some ring after finishing an MTT, enjoy.

Sure, some people will tell you it's better to focus on one type of game. But others will tell you it's beneficial to learn different games. Neither position is right for everyone; it depends on your individual goals.

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Solid advice Arjonius.
Your answer to my first question about BR management and moving up levels was exactly what I was looking for. I don't want to make to many mistakes, when I could just ask someone for advice.
Thanks

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha I've already blown a good 300 or 400 in online gambling and if your a complete newbie I'd suggest starting at the lowest level and check on your br once every month if the br is above your original starting amout than you should move up to 2.20 this is of course if you play a decent amout of volume so you win a decent amout

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha I've already blown a good 300 or 400 in online gambling and if your a complete newbie I'd suggest starting at the lowest level and check on your br once every month if the br is above your original starting amout than you should move up to 2.20 this is of course if you play a decent amout of volume so you win a decent amout

I would say I play a good amount of volume. I wish I could use a poker manager but have yet to find a good one for MAC. If any one knows of one please let me know. Im going to set something up on my other laptop but I know this will not last long importing them every time. Plus i don't get on that laptop much at all.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I wish I could say I play decent volume too haha I hope one day I can say that and also funny enough I've never ever look into all the hud stuff deeply I did it on holden manager free trial but I didn't like it at all

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know Black Chip Poker has $1.67 SnG's.....they also offer 27% rakeback for new customers. I think they already charge lower rake than other US poker rooms like Carbon (compare the amount paid for buyin versus rake and you will see BCP is very reasonable).

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know Black Chip Poker has $1.67 SnG's.....they also offer 27% rakeback for new customers. I think they already charge lower rake than other US poker rooms like Carbon (compare the amount paid for buyin versus rake and you will see BCP is very reasonable).

I tried to check out Black Chip Poker but I could not find any download for MAC. I really love my MAC but its starting to become a pain when it comes to online poker.
Thanks anyways

guicor30

guicor30

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

very low levels not recommend it because there may be much chance, I recommend you play levels if pokerstars MTT play 180 players $ 2.50 or $ 4.50 for 180 players with time range of 15 minutes.

developer716

developer716

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can play the$ 1 6 : 45 a.m man mini SNG's but if you're not a beginner !

When that at the beginning of that as I began to play lost$ 20 Deposit(((((((( then I realized that we should play limit the lowest started with 0,02/0,04 wish you good luck )

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very low levels not recommend it because there may be much chance, I recommend you play levels if PokerStars MTT play 180 players $ 2.50 or $ 4.50 for 180 players with time range of 15 minutes.

Im in the US so I can't play on PokerStars. Im going to stick with the $2.20 MTTs and the $5.50 MT SnGs that Bovada offers till I can get over $700 in my account and move up from there. Well that is the game plan for now.

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can play the$ 1 6 : 45 a.m man mini SNG's but if you're not a beginner !

When that at the beginning of that as I began to play lost$ 20 Deposit(((((((( then I realized that we should play limit the lowest started with 0,02/0,04 wish you good luck )

I have tried a phew cash games at the 0.02/0.04NL but have yet to have any real success at them yet. I will win $5 on one game then loose $5 on the other.

Today I'm going to set up my other laptop that is a windows machine to see what my ROI is and review some hands. I have yet to do this and have read quite a phew posts about how important it is for studying.

Also I have gotten lucky and found someone to give me a little couching. More or less good solid advice about BR management and what games to play so far. I find the more I post and talk about poker the better understanding I have of the way online is different than live poker. Now its time for me to take my game to the next level by studding and evaluating my game play.

Good luck, stay positive and keep the good advice coming.
Thanks

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo if your playing cash you'd def. Want to play at full flush poker because of the amout of donks and Bovada is def. The best for tournaments Imo the micro mtt are decent because they've got a decent amout of donks and decent blind structure hope this helps :)

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a quick little update:
I lost half of my bankroll over the last three days, I'm now down to $158.38. I twisted my ankle really bad. Got some pain pills and have been playing non stop for the last three days. I have played more poker in the last three days then I did all last month. The lesson learned: If your board and high on pain pills(doctors orders) don't play poker for something fun to do. Watch a movie or take a nap!

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im still in it but I obviously still have a lot to learn about. I have been reading The Mental Game of Poker and this book has help me out a lot. I help me realize that loosing half my bankroll in two days was a type of tilt that I did not even know or realize was a problem of mine. I recommend this book for anyone that plays poker. Anyone know of any other awesome book or article?

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just can't win lol ! At least it has felt that way for the past 3 days. Ks cracked by 8s, As cracked by Ks. One hand was just brutal AA vs villains 6 10off, got it all in on the flop of 9 high (flop was 269 rainbow) he hit two pair on the river. Normally I would be so happy that he wanted to give me his money but this was a 1,000 player MTT and he ended up knocking me out about 20 away from the bubble.

I know variance has some to do with this run bad but what is the best way to deal with it when I mainly play MTTs on Bovada that has no rakeback? Do you stop playing for a week, play through it knowing your probably going to loose but you played your best so its ok(I feel like this is more of a cash game strategy) or I could drop down a level in SnGs to the 1.10/3.30 games in hopes to win a couple to make myself feel good. I guess that could backfire and I could loose a phew 1.10 game and feel worse about my game.

HELP.... any advice is good advice

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$40 is not a bankroll, it's money to take a dame to the cinema and get a soda pop after.

You can't afford to gamble, you need to focus on your building a career.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they have micro 1/2c Ring games, I would give them a shot too,

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$40 is not a bankroll, it's money to take a dame to the cinema and get a soda pop after.

You can't afford to gamble, you need to focus on your building a career.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. Im not a professional poker player it is only a hobby for now that I would love to get better at. If I want to deposit $40 every day I could (been there before) but then I'm just be giving away money. I would like to get better at online so I'm trying to learn. So thanks agin for the advice :girl:

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the words of wisdom. Im not a professional poker player it is only a hobby for now that I would love to get better at. If I want to deposit $40 every day I could (been there before) but then I'm just be giving away money. I would like to get better at online so I'm trying to learn. So thanks agin for the advice :girl:

If you're still trying to learn, I would suggest playing freerolls (or even play money sit and go's). You can learn a lot without spending a dime.

When you are ready to deposit, I would suggest depositing at least 100-150. That at least gives you a little wiggle room, and lets you survive the variance.

(For what it's worth, from reading your unlucky couple of hands from above, it just seems like a little bit of variance. However, you have to be able to have a bankroll to be able to sustain the downswings).

Best of luck

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they have micro 1/2c Ring games, I would give them a shot too,

Switching over to ring games was an awesome idea. I ended up wining a little over 8 buyins at the 2/5 stack game in around 3 hours. I still played a couple of my usual MTTs for the day too but no SnGs and ended up coming ahead for the day.

After wining some in one of the ring games i singed up for a MTT after about half an hour into the game I had doubled up and was feeling good. There was a villain at my table who 3 bet everything and had every one folding to him. Im in the small blind with AA. Villain(3 better)UTG + 2 raises 3x blinds with one caller. I reraise min knowing he will raise or shove. He shoved all in 2nd villain folds, I snap call. Villain has KK vs my AA, blank flop and the turn was a big fat K. I went from on top of the world being one of the top 15 in chips to having less than 400 in chips with blinds at 50/100.

The point to that amazing story is that I thought maybe my variance(down swing) was over but is it really ever over? Maybe if I play in ring games and not so many MTTs and SnGs it will turn around. Then when the variance kicks in for ring games I will play SnGs agin. I don't know if it works like this but I'm willing to give it a shot for sure.

Thanks BigJamo

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're still trying to learn, I would suggest playing freerolls (or even play money sit and go's). You can learn a lot without spending a dime.

When you are ready to deposit, I would suggest depositing at least 100-150. That at least gives you a little wiggle room, and lets you survive the variance.

(For what it's worth, from reading your unlucky couple of hands from above, it just seems like a little bit of variance. However, you have to be able to have a bankroll to be able to sustain the downswings).

Best of luck

Thanks for the advice sam1chips

My situation is more along the lines of dealing with variance. Earlier in my post I talk about buying in for $40, dropping down to $2.00, building it back up to over $300 and now I'm back around $150. Im blaming 65-70% of these swings on variance and the rest is me playing like a donk on a free roll.

I totally agree with you about having a bankroll to sustain the downswings. I use to have no BR management back when I first started playing on P-Stars. I would put $20-$100 a day in my account ( lol It was so sad) . One day back in like 2008 I found an article from a Stars Pro about a $20 challenge, he turned it into like 10K. After reading that I started taking it serious and turned my $20 into over $600 then boom BF. Back on Stars I felt like the variance was there but not as bad. Maybe because there was so many games and so much easy money(like myself at first).

I feel as if I dont start small and slowly build a bankroll I will end up being in the same situation as when I was on Stars. Its all about the challenge and maybe the money. Micro money for now ;)

M

mitea2013

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play smart you double your 40$..Don't play more then 4 hours and you will make $.Good Luck

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play for too long....
Is this to make a n00b avoid blowing up any profits?
Gamblers never know when to walk away when they're up.
Instead they do the opposite.

Give a gambler $1000 win.
He just goes to bigger stakes and loses it all.
Always.

Or he does like Unger and just bets it all on a horse.
They are destined to lose all their money.
You can win $1,000,000 in a night.
He will lose it all later that night.

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play for too long....
Is this to make a n00b avoid blowing up any profits?
Gamblers never know when to walk away when they're up.
Instead they do the opposite.

Give a gambler $1000 win.
He just goes to bigger stakes and loses it all.
Always.

Or he does like Unger and just bets it all on a horse.
They are destined to lose all their money.
You can win $1,000,000 in a night.
He will lose it all later that night.

Not sure how to take this but thanks for the reply. :confused: