What did I do wrong

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all the same this hand trash , u need fold in flop always, only in board u have 228 or 22x, and other situathion need fold, because no value..
The flop was checked around.

4kingsmike

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Regarding the JJ All-In:
At microlimits many players play very loose and I can understand the call to the All-In IF you didn't have a read on the player's playing style. Seeing you knew him to be tight... bad call.

Regarding the 82 win:
What were you thinking?! Raising after the turn with only an open-ended straight?! A cheap call I can take but that raise just blows my mind! The end result is what matters I suppose...

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very good player told me once that there are three ways to play a pair of Jacks.. All of them wrong. LOL

princippitoo

princippitoo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
n| 23 in the bank roll ;( loose with AA versus 9Q jajajajaj thats póker you can win with jj or loose with AA

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Read my post from above, this hand not have value, only sick play in flop this hand because need understand this -EV...

The only time you would play a trash hand which has -EV is when you are sitting in the BB and everyone has limped, as you have already paid the BB before the cards were dealt.

This is your only chance to punish the limpers.

I was sitting in the BB once and checked on a worse hand than what the OP played here, the flop had given me a gutshot so I check again and so did the other 2 left in the hand. The turn gave me a straight and I bet half the pot and the guy to my left shoved and the so did the other player.

The guy to my left showed AA, he was punished for slow playing aces, and the other guy had 44 with a 4 on the board.

From what should of been a instant fold, gave me the chip lead!!

Use your BB to punish your limpers!!!

W

wherbie718

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re: JJ from the CO -- Raising pre flop from your position is a fine play, however as others have noted, when you call the big reraise from behind, you're hoping for a coin flip situation at best.

We first have to consider the range of the hands that we can put the raiser on. Since this is a micro-limit, we have to widen his range a little. I'd include AQ+,99+ roughly. Without any additional information on this player, we'd have to assume that he is towards the higher part of this range. Against this range, JJ have about a 50% equity. At this point, you're calling $.72 to win $.98, which is about 1.35 to 1, which would mean that you would need to win about 42% of the time, making this a good call from an odds standpoint, however this call can turn borderline in a hurry if we tighten the villains range.

From an EV perspective, you're looking at a +EV of 8bb or $.16 (since you would win $.98, 50% of the time, and lose $.72, 50% of the time). I think this is a good call if this the range we put the villain on, however this is may not be profitable if the villain was any tighter.

Re: 28o from the BB -- You're pretty fortunate here to get a free look all the way to the turn to have an open ended straight draw. When you raise the turn, you're basically making a play to take the pot down here while still having your outs. We're fortunate not to get reraised here in hindsight, however, as this could take us off a potential big hand. Since the other players in the hand have folded when the action is back to you on the turn, I'm in favor of a call here since you are not drawing to the nuts and could easily be raising into a made hand that could make a large 3bet to take us off the hand.

On the river, donking the river is fine here, however if you're going to raise the river here, I'd go ahead and shove it all-in most of the time here. You're likely to get called by two pair hands that include an A, as well as sets and possibly smaller straights, although some of these hands may fold in this spot. There are going to be a smaller amount of times that we lose to the nuts here and given the action, that was a possibility. So I'd recommend generally being more careful with this type of hand.

Hope this was helpful (This is my first time giving detailed hand analysis, so feel free to give me any feedback here).

W

wherbie718

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That should be $.26 or 13bb of EV in the first hand.

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re: JJ from the CO -- Raising pre flop from your position is a fine play, however as others have noted, when you call the big reraise from behind, you're hoping for a coin flip situation at best.

We first have to consider the range of the hands that we can put the raiser on. Since this is a micro-limit, we have to widen his range a little. I'd include AQ+,99+ roughly. Without any additional information on this player, we'd have to assume that he is towards the higher part of this range. Against this range, JJ have about a 50% equity. At this point, you're calling $.72 to win $.98, which is about 1.35 to 1, which would mean that you would need to win about 42% of the time, making this a good call from an odds standpoint, however this call can turn borderline in a hurry if we tighten the villains range.

From an EV perspective, you're looking at a +EV of 8bb or $.16 (since you would win $.98, 50% of the time, and lose $.72, 50% of the time). I think this is a good call if this the range we put the villain on, however this is may not be profitable if the villain was any tighter.

Re: 28o from the BB -- You're pretty fortunate here to get a free look all the way to the turn to have an open ended straight draw. When you raise the turn, you're basically making a play to take the pot down here while still having your outs. We're fortunate not to get reraised here in hindsight, however, as this could take us off a potential big hand. Since the other players in the hand have folded when the action is back to you on the turn, I'm in favor of a call here since you are not drawing to the nuts and could easily be raising into a made hand that could make a large 3bet to take us off the hand.

On the river, donking the river is fine here, however if you're going to raise the river here, I'd go ahead and shove it all-in most of the time here. You're likely to get called by two pair hands that include an A, as well as sets and possibly smaller straights, although some of these hands may fold in this spot. There are going to be a smaller amount of times that we lose to the nuts here and given the action, that was a possibility. So I'd recommend generally being more careful with this type of hand.

Hope this was helpful (This is my first time giving detailed hand analysis, so feel free to give me any feedback here).

Good morning. First off thank you for your input. Well written, concise and easy to follow so I was able to pull a lot from it.

I see your point about going all in on the river. The raise re-raise was really more of a waste of time than anything.

And you were partially correct when you said I was trying to steal the pot on the turn. It was a bluff as well as a safety. Because I didn't have a made hand I wanted to place a safety bet just to see if villain had a hand or not. Also I was a little concerned that if I didn't bet villain may have bet higher. I had a feeling if they had something they would slow play me and I wanted to see the river.

Was this too risky?

W

wherbie718

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning. First off thank you for your input. Well written, concise and easy to follow so I was able to pull a lot from it.

I see your point about going all in on the river. The raise re-raise was really more of a waste of time than anything.

And you were partially correct when you said I was trying to steal the pot on the turn. It was a bluff as well as a safety. Because I didn't have a made hand I wanted to place a safety bet just to see if villain had a hand or not. Also I was a little concerned that if I didn't bet villain may have bet higher. I had a feeling if they had something they would slow play me and I wanted to see the river.

Was this too risky?

This was definitely too risky in my opinion since the action had been folded around to you on the turn and your call would have capped the action on the turn. So you would have gotten to the river for one bet, inside of opening the action back to the original raiser who would then be able to reraise.

Not having a made hand here lends more credence to calling here as you don't have a hand that you can raise for value or defend to keep the villain from outdrawing you.

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was definitely too risky in my opinion since the action had been folded around to you on the turn and your call would have capped the action on the turn. So you would have gotten to the river for one bet, inside of opening the action back to the original raiser who would then be able to reraise.

Not having a made hand here lends more credence to calling here as you don't have a hand that you can raise for value or defend to keep the villain from outdrawing you.

Thanks for your feed back I appreciate it. One of my goals is to learn outs odds and risk vs reward so this information is excellent.

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as the first hand with jj I normally fold the jj to the alliner because it always seems I get burned and out flopped to any over card the villan holds.As far as the second hand I dont see a thing you could have done any different seeing the outcome.You were able to lime in and checked to on the the flop,only a min bet to call on the turn to get the straight and you extracted all the players chips from him getting max value.what more could you want?