What hands should i always play preflop?

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With all the respect, this is like one of the worst advice that you can give to anybody... Preflop strategy (unlike postflop) can be very specific, learned for different spots, especially your opening ranges (and this is what successful poker players study a lot). Your advice is to just play without any starting point, ignoring the fact that preflop game can be learned much more easily than any other street.

Play money is probably the worst place to learn ranges as well as typically there is a lot of limping. Lets say that 5 people limped and you are on the button. You get 6.5:1 odds which is like crazy good price to call with almost any holding... Learning on play money without solid fundamentals will only make you learning bad passive poker most of the time.

With respect I have played with play money chips and learnt what hands to play and not to play. I've outplayed many people who have studied preflop hands. So much so that i've reached final table several times. I've won money in the process. My first cash table was $1.10 buy in and i won $3 and some change. With respect, before you judge someone's advice, rather don't.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With respect I have played with play money chips and learnt what hands to play and not to play. I've outplayed many people who have studied preflop hands. So much so that i've reached final table several times. I've won money in the process. My first cash table was $1.10 buy in and i won $3 and some change. With respect, before you judge someone's advice, rather don't.

But what does it prove? When I started learning poker more seriously, I turned 10USD into ~50 playing 1.5USD mtts (18 players) on pokerstars, then turned 5USD into about 30 on micro stakes playing cash on 888. And getting better at preflop play had huge impact on this winnings.

But guess what - it doesn't matter that much anyway. What matters is that almost every poker coach, book, pro poker player will tell you that studying preflop ranges is crucial part of learning poker. If you think that winning 3 usd is reason good enough to not listen to them, that's fine, but I would say it is a weak reason...

D

danielbalaci

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am new to the forum, but I have already seen this question asked twice and sadly in both threads there are a lot of misconceptions and false advice or some vague answers that "it depends on many things"... Of course it depends, it is not chess, it is poker ;) (I am not saying that chess is easier, but it is a solvable game)

You shouldn't be thinking about "good" or "bad" hands, like some people here suggested by writing lists of "good" hands. Of course, everybody loves to get aces as it is the best hand to have preflop, but the information that this is "good" hand to open is sadly totally worthless. Instead of thinking in good/bad hands category, you should be thinking about ranges. This is because opening only premium hands is easily exploitable. That's why it is important to have balanced range.

I wrote a post about that in the other thread (you will find charts for preflop charts):

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/what-best-starting-hands-323583/post-3630747.html

You are correct.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think there is any hand that you have to play preflop. I would even fold pocket aces in some situations. I know a lot of players will disagree but if there are to many players shoving preflop in a tourney, I will fold if I have I feel I am better off playing more hands than calling with less than a 50% chance of taking the pot.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, you must understand that in earlier positions you need stronger hands to enter the game. More often than not, you will open the game preflop with a raise and only in rare cases to call an increase in the opponent. Thus, your pre-flop game depends on the strength of the starting hand, your position and the actions of your opponents in front of you.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always said that all these rules only rules and not 100% to use them in the game, but if it was not all in preflop, not to throw away any pairs! you need to play and see the flop for a set!

Sergiy777

Sergiy777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket Pairs If Blinds Are Not Too Hight.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands