What do you need in order to win a Freeroll?

Parashmutka

Parashmutka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, today I played my first Freeroll and I finished 700 from 2300. Can someone tell me what it takes to win a tournament? And some advices will be quite useful aswell.

W

weirdline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A decent understanding of tournament poker will put you in the best position to win, but no matter what you will need luck.

J

JordieChloe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play looser than you do in a real money game. Try to pick your spots, but realize the players will play looser because they are not risking any money. For this reason luck plays a bigger role.

THbc19

THbc19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in freerolls the main thing is luck, but only luck is not enough to make you a winner.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, today I played my first Freeroll and I finished 700 from 2300. Can someone tell me what it takes to win a tournament? And some advices will be quite useful aswell.

You dont need to play fancy to win freeroll. You need to be patient and wait for good opportunitys to get your chips in. Especailly at the start when people are playing very loose. Do not call any all-in unless you have a very good hand. Try to get a nice stack for when the money bubble comes so you can put pressure on the short stacks trying to min-cash. Once the blinds get high, this is when you will need to be very lucky. A few pots when the antes and blinds are high will boost you up a lot. When the blinds get extremely high (50,000+) you will pretty much need to win most of your hands and avoid getting busted by larger stacks then you.

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning tournaments is very hard, especially a large player pool like 2300. All you can do is put yourself in the best spot each hand. When you risk your tournament life, make sure you're ahead all the time and then hope that you hold that's all you can ask. You need to hold when you gotta hold and run good when you're behind. Otherwise you need really nice flops where you can stack people post-flop. A combination of all these things happening successfully will get you a deep run in an MTT.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play on one foot with luck...

oriole

oriole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When antes come in and big blinds get shorter then you have to play aggressive. More often than not the people who play agro will win more tournaments than those who play tight. You also need a lot of luck :D

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think to win a freeroll you need patience and a little luck. Sometimes it takes a long time to get a good pocket card.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep if it was not clear already, plenty of luck!

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Like any poker tournament, you need to put yourself in a good position to get lucky. If you win while the odds were against you, use the momentum to take it down.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Nerves, solid nerves - and some skills, of course :p

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck

You will need to win most of your flips which is going to take some luck.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker you work with variables, so that each type of opponent, tournament stage, entry value, position, stacks involved and player image will affect the game so there is no one way to play.

To achieve awards in freeroll games I usually follow a simple list, and modify it as I see fit.

1 - At the beginning of the tournament be tighter, play the hands of value preferentially, over time bad players will eliminate, and the game will begin to be real poker, to risk the tournament in the beginning to try to aculate chips quickly with hands speculative is complex, you will lose most of the time.

2 - Use the position in your favor, the ideal is always prefer to play in position, sometimes when I have many chips I try to play in final positions to take the pot even without good cards, but prepared to drop if necessary, in order to not to lose too many chips.

3 - Do not let your game predictable, make bets and increases equally for different hands, to make it difficult for your enemies to read your game, sometimes to be aggressive with strong hands, other times more passive, but always paying attention to the type of board, and be willing to ditch strong hands that can easily be hit, such as AA on a board with straight, flush and two cards, many players play per setvalue, so be aware of 3bets that may indicate three of a kind.

4 - Nowadays many players are aggressive because they consider the best way to play, but if a passive player starts making aggressive moves it is better to have caution because it usually indicates that he got a very strong hand, in the same way if an aggressive player plays passively are a indicative of some trap.

5 - If a player made a high raise or bet preflop, flop and turn, beware, bad players try to check the hand on the turn or river, if they did not drop it may indicate a good hand, but if you catch one of them doing these bets and bluffing to the river, it's worth playing aggressively if you realize that some card on the board can scare the range in which you put the villain.

6 - Take a table of ranges and positions of your choice, follow her as an example and adapt as you need, play tight at the beginning of the tournament and become loose as you get chips and is near the end of the tournament.

Good luck, see you at the tables.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play with patience and discipline if you know that your opponent already has the winning hand. Do not give him more chips. Play your strong hands with aggression.:)

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play the 10 dollar ondemand alot when BR is low. I go all in with almost any 2 prem cards, or suited connector most try to double up or triple up first hand so its easy to catch a stack quick I cashed in 2 last night. its easy peasy

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that in freerolls besides much study of the table and players, you have to hope for luck to be by your side due to the number of bad players who pay or enter all in with any hand.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
To win a freeroll tournament ... you need a lot of patience ... in a tournament where 2000 or more players are registered ... you should expect good hands to arrive and play them aggressively so that you can double in chips and play more comfortably .. remember that in these tournaments in its initial stage you usually find yourself with players who play everything with marginal hands ... so do not do the bluffs ... and try to get to the winning places ..!

C

chubby

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cashing in freerolls

i have played many freerolls, you need to know how many players get paid as some freerolls only paid a handfull , the top 10 players from like 750. These freerolls luck will be very important especially early where you will need to risk your whole stack in the first couple of minutes in hope of doubling or trippling your stack early, then you can play passive agressive using your chip stack to push short stacks of pots.

In freerolls that pay small income but to about 12.5% of total entries id say you can play your regular game be more patient since more players get paid. Try to avoid going all in with Ace rags ( A-9 or lower) if you can, unless you are very short stack then open up a bit more agression.
Hope this helps

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
time luck and patiance cuase a free last about 3 to 4 hrs learn how to maybe bluff late steal blinds

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck just luck you need good hand deal and players move because freerolls its so crazy :D

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Winning a freeroll takes patience, observations and most of all luck.

If you just don't have the luck, winning a freeroll is not going to happen.