What to do when you flop the nuts?

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on my table image. If loose, keep being loose. If tight, make sure not to scare of the fish by shaking the hook too much. So, same thing as ever, hopefully. Check raise if they're skittish enough; let them "catch up in the hand".

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check or bet. Sometimes re-raise.

Whatever you do, you want to deceive.

Just don't fold ;)

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check the flop and turn hoping that someone caught a little something they want to bet on and just call. When the river hits if they were betting enough that I think they will continue I check, if not I bet.:D:D

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on what kind of nuts that I have on the flop and what the board is showing. (Example - If I have quads with a possible straight or flush on the turn than I will check and allow other people to bet for me. If they don't I don't mind giving a free card hoping that they hit a straight or make a flush. I'll place a small bet on the turn no matter what, because if I give another free card and they don't hit their hand than in all reality a bet after the river as a generality will be futile in the aspect that they can just throw their hand away without a care in the world. That being said if they call the turn, that means they have a bigger investment in the hand and some poker players are funny about not wanting to let go of chips invested in a pot. If on the river they have made their hand or there is a possible hand on the board besides the boat or quads than some players will make a bluff from time to time.) (Another example might be if I have top nut straight after the flop but there are two of the same suit on the board. In that scenario I will want to place at least a nice little bet on board to make a player pay to see the next card in case they need that next suit card to make their flush. For that matter they may have trips trying to make that full house. Or they may need another card to make a higher straight. Maybe your opponent(s) have two pair. Either way they have to pay to see that card. If your opponent(s) don't happen to fall in any of these scenarios than they should fold and you can win the small pot and not take a chance on losing chips. Best case scenario is that your opponent(s) have a lower straight and shove their chips in. Basically what I am saying is a player has to pick and choose their spots on how they decide how to play the nut hand on the flop. experience in these situations will help you out more than anything. I hope this information will be valuable to you in your endeavors. Good luck!!!

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never flopped the nuts, but I guess I would just check, to see if someone wants to steal the pot and call. Now he/she/they are a little more pot comitted which changes the whole game.
I might as well pretend to "steal the pot" when I'm in position and nobody bet before.
I would check the turn anyway, to let em build their crappy hand I'm gonna beat.
The river bet depends on the opponet, how much do I think he's going to call.

If my opponent is a 100% c-better, I would trap him and let him bet into my nuts. :laugh:
you see, it's not the cards....