What to do with pocket fours?

L

LOKIE77

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO The best way to play your small pocket pairs (22-77) from any posn in poker is to set mine with them. At an aggro table fold from early posn as it will cost you too much to continue and you likely won't have big stacks and the correct implied odds to continue. This means that you should try to hit 3 of a kind with your small pocket pairs on the flop. If you hit a set then you should play your hand very aggressively. If you miss the flop though, then you small pocket pair should be folded. To make a set or better your only at 12% or 8-1 odds. If you are first into the pot then Raising & Folding Low Pocket Pairs First In is best. However, from the earliest of positions like UTG and UTG+1 in a full ring game, most of your small pocket pairs should be folded. You can try and raise with hands like 55 and 66, but anything lower than those is just too optimistic.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hi and welcome to the Cardschat forum:)
After noting your position at the table and the number of callers, call only if the BB is not more than doubled, the pair of 4s is weak, so it is better not to throw the all-in, because the board may come with two pairs stronger than the pair of 4s and unfortunately you may only lose by kicker

Captainine9

Captainine9

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If there were any raises before the flop, I simply dont play this hand unless in a touney with less then 10 bb.

I guess so. Back in that period there were a lot of these insane preflop raise-reraise wars, where I guess, the idea was, that if you just kept reraising, your opponent would eventually give you credit for having AA and fold. There is also a famous hand from the TV show "big game" featuring Vanessa going crazy with J7.

This show should definetly comeback, pokerstars! I grew up dreaming of being a loose cannon, hahah
And I would definetly love to play with Vanessa, she is simply ruthless.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I only play 44 when I am in the big blind and no one has bet before me. Then I look at the flop and depending on what is on the table and how my opponents at the table act and then decide what my next move should be. And then it is usually a fold