What to do with AQ?

S

STLPokerBum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ, such a risky hand. However, all situations are different. Early on in MTT's I wouldn't do much with it except with opening in late position. I am certainly not calling a shove with it.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably categorize A Q with J J in my mind. Not terrific starting hands, but decent, so I play according to position, stack size, tournament standings, etc.

J

jwlaw35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love/hate the AQ lol The thing I always consider is how bad do I need the chips cause if its a chance to double up I'm going to be pushing.. also what am I buying if I raise all in? Is it worth picking up blinds or do I want to see money in the pot? And if I run into trouble am I broke or fine? So I guess it depends on the situation.

H

HumpusDumpus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always raise preflop with AQ (3-5x BB). If it gets raised, it depends on how much it is, 2x I call, more than that I' ll try to fold.

It' s a difficult hand, but in my opinion the hand is too good to see the flop for just one BB.

When I only have a few BB's left I go all in with it.

If you hit the flop, it is easier to play 😉

This is what I do, don' t know if it is a good strategy .

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Several others have said this , but there are dozens of factors to consider . Cash table or tourney ? Full table or short handed ? Bounty, freezeout ,or rebuy ? Small blinds or big ? Early position or late ? Are you big stack or low ? Are your opponents deep or short ? Tight opponents, , limpers or bingo shovers ? Near bubble / pay jump or early in tourney ? etc etc etc . You could write a whole book on the topic .