What are the best situations to try to hit a set with low pairs?

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me the best situations to try to hit a set with low pairs are those where you have a high expectation of value relative to the cost of entering the hand. This usually happens when there are multiple players involved in the hand, which increases the potential payout if I hit a set.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cheap blinds, many players and prayers!

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the more players in the hand the better to extract more chips. I see some situations where weak players limp in, so if I have a pair of 22 for example, I limp behind and try to see the flop cheaply.

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is the typical topic that I enter to see the answers from the people and learn!

P

plusia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
low cost and too many players involved

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, for me is when the opponents have top pairs or A+ that would be difficult to fold, in this situation that you can get more chips.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It gives more security to a set of low pairs when the set comes out on the flop!!! And it also depends a lot on the community letters that come out.. greetings

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
The cheaper I see the flop with pocket small pairs, the better. And then wait for my expected set to the river, too, as cheaply as possible, when raising rates, I usually throw off my unrealized pairs:cool:

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
the best way is when you watch the flop for free or for a small amount and collect a set, you will be paid a lot, or when a lot of players enter the hand, it's also a nice opportunity to go with them to watch the flop

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You are completely wrong my friend! The best situation to set your low pairs is against a single villain, because when we face more than one range, the higher our loss rate will be. So the best situation is when we play a head up spot.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The best option to hit a triplet with low pairs is in a hand up or at most with 2 more on the table. That way you're more likely to get it right.

Qniversity

Qniversity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Heads up BTN v UTG as their range is tighter so proportionately more likely to get paid. Also 100-125ish deep so we're less worried about set over set and dropping a double buy in.

Multiway pots are a minefield of set over sets. It's now twice as likely someone has a set for the same amount of profit as third villain usually gets out the way. For example if we are button with 22, the flop comes K82 and the action goes check, check, bet, raise or bet, raise or any other strong line, are you comparatively happy?

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Beginning of the tournament, with small pots, against a maximum of 1 or 2 villains, or when there are few blinds.

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Tournament play: when I’m short stacked.

Cash game play: when there are lots of limpers/callers and hopefully a cheap call for me.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I mostly play tournaments and some of the best situations I find myself in is when the stack sizes of your opponents need to be big. The reason I look for that is when you hit the set and it holds you can try to get that big stack into your stack. If my opponents are short stacked then your return of investment isn’t great. I’m mostly raising to try and get heads up, I’m not a fan of playing any hand multi way. If I’m heads up and miss and only have one opponent to worry about then it’s easier for me to win the pot, only one person to bluff rather than 2 or more. Just my thoughts.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For me the best situations to try to hit a set with low pairs are those where you have a high expectation of value relative to the cost of entering the hand. This usually happens when there are multiple players involved in the hand, which increases the potential payout if I hit a set.
For me, it depends on stack sizes.
I don't go chasing straights, flushes and sets if there isn't a chance of getting paid off well.
So You need to consider the effective stack size.

Position is important, especially with a shallow stack. I'm not crazy about opening UTG with 15BB stack with pocket threes and lots of players to follow. Basically, I'll enter from a spot that (hopefully) avoids a three-bet pre flop.

In tournament play, set mining is most effective early to mid game when deep and the payout can be substantial when fighting against two pairs, top pair top kicker, lesser sets and missed straights.

When you do get there, don't be too cagey or cute. Get the pot growing early so it's massive by the river.

Cheers,
JT

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to have at least 30bb effective stack sizes to set mine. If you are shallower its not worth mining for the set because you wont get paid enough to make up for all the times that you miss.

Also small pairs can be difficult to play post flop when you miss.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The best situation to hit a set or any other monster hand is when we get good odds to call preflop (for cash games when players raise 2x or 2.5x), and when both of us (hero and villain) have 100 BB or more:
When we are calling a bet for odds we should look for the odds of the specific street but also look to our stack and villain’s stack sizing.
What is the point of villain raising 2x having just 10 blinds of effective stack? We have 2:1, 3:1, etc but always look to villain’s entire stack, this is how we approach pot odds correctly.
I don’t think it’s good to hit a set in multi-way pots.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the more players in the hand the better to extract more chips. I see some situations where weak players limp in, so if I have a pair of 22 for example, I limp behind and try to see the flop cheaply.
I don’t think so: as much more players involved, higher our chances to lose, even when we hit real monster hands such as flushes and full houses.
Look AA preflop: versus just one player we own 80% or a bit more. Versus two other players we own just 30% equity. And AA is the single nutted hand preflop.
When weak players limp and we limp behind we are being weak like them. Many times we are going to hit a set of deuces and end up beat by a set of fours or worst. Why? Because we haven’t raised preflop.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A lot of times my set will lose to a higher set, so I attempt it usually if I am one of the blinds.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You want to have at least 30bb effective stack sizes to set mine. If you are shallower its not worth mining for the set because you wont get paid enough to make up for all the times that you miss.

Also small pairs can be difficult to play post flop when you miss.
And let's not forget how much fun Bottom Set is when in a multi-way pot!