What advice would you give to someone starting to play poker?

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advise would be, You need to remember that poker is a long term game.

Many people join thinking its easy money and look for the instant gratification. Poker is a complex skilled game where your battling other players of various skill levels. Your also playing a math game and yes you might have a hand your favored to win 80% of the time but you will lose that 1 time out of 5 no matter how skilled you are. Also the games you play and the variance you will encounter. Everyone is looking for the big score but if you playing tournaments of 1000 players and you play just 1 tournament every day you win win one on average every 3 years. If you playing this size game you will see your bankroll at time drop 100 or more buy ins before you get a good score. Like I said, remember poker is a long term game.

This is soooo true! Most people don't realize this. They also don't realize that not winning even if you play 5000 tournaments isn't that statistically improbable. I would akin it to a quarter being heads 5 times in a row. It just means you went against the odds 5 times in a row. This is crucial to remember.