What advice would you give to someone starting to play poker?

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for all the advices. For me, I am still a newbie so I just read the comments here.

Great; got to start somewhere :D

In fact, I learned the rules of poker online by literally searching the rules on Google and I've been learning mostly through cardschat ever since; you are in the right place :)

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Choose one of poker disciplines(cash, tournaments,S'n'G) and study all what you find about it.

Try to use your knowledges in real games.

All questions you can ask in our forum.

Be patient.

Good luck!

fang215874

fang215874

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
do not play in debt, spend no more than 5% of your monthly income on the game.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would advise not to hurry, be patient and build a bankroll by playing freerolls. Freerolls will allow you to gain experience and improve skills. In addition, freerolls are an ideal option for a beginner, which allows you to create an initial bankroll.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Starting your poker career?

Good morning everyone, first take a poker course, then join a poker team, the evolution of players who join a poker team is huge.
I play poker all day long, I don't get bored, I like playing poker a lot, if that's your case and you're just starting out, poker has no secret, it's study and dedication.

P

pakyut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be patient and keep on learning more.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don’t. No poker training works, or if it does I haven’t found it yet.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is also a free roll.
You can also deposit $ 1000 and start with the lowest stakes cash game.

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Only play good hands dont follow up the donkeys out there they want you to throw your chips out there most the time there just throwing there chips out there for somebody to take there betting up the next person hand there just betting the pot up hoping to maybe there going to win that's why there donkeys

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
study, put into practice and always respect your bankroll!

L

lancabcd10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As poker is a sport that has big issues, I believe that for someone who is starting, and already understands the gameplay, rules, etc, it would be to explain strategies and the game plan during a tournament.
Playing hard, always right, as it is a way to get results and move on to other more complicated parts of the game.

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are going to lose a lot so dont let that keep you down you keep on playing and it takes a lot of playing to become a good poker player

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to learn the mechanics of the game the best you can.

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep your head, don’t let the swings get to you. Cause ur gonna get beat at some point, you just need to capitalize on good hands and know how n when to play them

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would study first. Take the 30-day Cardschat poker course and read a couple of good books. Then start with freerolls to get your feet wet. There are a lot, for cardschat members.

This is great advice.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
bankroll management, play mostly freerolls first, then parlay your winnings into big winnings

good luck

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some time playing poker is very boring , because miss out plenty of chances to win big money , such as loser nearby awarded million ticket places . But never give up i believe eventually we will achieve a sweetness ,

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opening hand charts. Either find a software to have them almost immediately accessible, I used to take screen shots of mine and used a photographer App for sorting through large groups of pics to access them. That or memorize them. Opening charts are pretty easy, but once you get them down you will understand position a lot better and everything is easier from there.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn how to fold and be patient.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have fun

Just practice alot with all the freerolls that pokerstars has along with Cardchat. Look it is a game to enjoy and have fun. Practice makes for a exciting future in poker. Capo1014

CaSpeR851

CaSpeR851

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning everyone, first take a poker course, then join a poker team, the evolution of players who join a poker team is huge.
I play poker all day long, I don't get bored, I like playing poker a lot, if that's your case and you're just starting out, poker has no secret, it's study and dedication.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Since I started I have many doubts and I believe they can contribute to my evolution.

My advise would be, You need to remember that poker is a long term game.

Many people join thinking its easy money and look for the instant gratification. Poker is a complex skilled game where your battling other players of various skill levels. Your also playing a math game and yes you might have a hand your favored to win 80% of the time but you will lose that 1 time out of 5 no matter how skilled you are. Also the games you play and the variance you will encounter. Everyone is looking for the big score but if you playing tournaments of 1000 players and you play just 1 tournament every day you win win one on average every 3 years. If you playing this size game you will see your bankroll at time drop 100 or more buy ins before you get a good score. Like I said, remember poker is a long term game.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to delete poker and forget about its existence. Lol.