What advice would you give to someone starting to play poker?

H

herickbr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I started I have many doubts and I believe they can contribute to my evolution.

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
study the basics of the game and the rules, watch videos and professional books and go directly to playing against other people ... the best way to learn is on the fly and in person, even if you make mistakes that ends up helping you improve and train your own style of play

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Start with playing freerolls at the beginning. They are available in all rooms.
And definitely start to study how the game works at all, if you are a beginner.
And take time to learn about strategies. When you have accumulated some bankroll, then try out different kind of games and have a look what kind of game suits you the most. Then dig deeper into the strategy of this kind of game.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Before you start playing poker, learn at least the basic rules and then start practicing what you have learned in freerols or play money games. and then later when you understand the game then you can slowly play for real money. Take your time, Rome wasn't built in a day eitherTake your time, Rome wasn't built in a day either . You reach your goal step by step. So be patient and learn to understand the game properly and then play it

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I learn mostly by experience. I have read many poker articles, watched videos, bought software aids, etc, etc. Bottom line is I had to learn from mistakes and learn how to fix them by research. Stick with a range around 20%, keep tight. Looose doesn't work when learning. Good luck. Have fun.

Dan'O

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Equip yourself with patience and resistance to temptation, to avoid as much as possible the mistakes!

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Desde que empecé tengo muchas dudas y creo que pueden contribuir a mi evolución. [/CITA]
I recommend studying before playing because if you only play you will be taking the longest way to understand poker, when you study you get better and practice at the same time, but before that you have to ask yourself if poker is just a hobby or if it will be a profession or a goal.

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I started I have many doubts and I believe they can contribute to my evolution.
I recommend studying before playing because if you only play you will be taking the longest way to understand poker, when you study you get better and practice at the same time, but before that you have to ask yourself if poker is just a hobby or if it will be a profession or a goal.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
If you play online, get used to incredible bad beats.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be selective with the hands you play and don't be afraid to bet when you sense weakness even though you may not have a hand.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice to anyone who starts to play poker is not about improving the quality of the game, which is certainly very important, but about managing the bankroll. Don't waste money playing poker, adjust buy-ins to your quality level, don't be a losing player, even if you stay at the freeroll level for a long time. It is the basis that you can enjoy the game without much frustration and a prerequisite for your qualitative progress.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing is patience, throughout your poker career. First you need to watch a video about the game, read it and you can start playing, with the number of games the skill will come. I wish you good luck!

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all you need to learn about poker from basic to advance but it takes time so start from bottom and most importantly bankroll management. Learn about hand ranking on NL holdem and hole cards and community cards and how it impacts you and your opponent and position is main thing in all aspects of poker so learn that tok and bet sizing is important too.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are still at the beginning of the path to poker, do not waste time on it)). If you want to make money playing poker, get ready it is long and tedious if you are not a genius. As entertainment, they are always welcome, only without big expenses.
It is better to find yourself a hobby that, over time, can become your craft, which will always feed you.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Well you are at a right forum, for starters. I would say only the thing I found most problematic when I first started and that is- bank management. Play at a level you can afford. If its only CC freerolls, then its CC freerolls. While you are learning you have to play at a level where you can afford your growing pains.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, it's very good that you got to the forum CardsChat, here you can find a lot of information for beginners, including a 30 day course! I'm a poker newcomer myself, but I would advise you to watch professional games and play freerrols! I play poker recently, but I already realized that the most important skill is discipline, and then everything else (well, this is for me personally), train more and understand your mistakes and you will succeed! Do not hesitate to ask your questions in this forum, here people are all responsive and positive, they will always advise anything! I wish you good luck in your endeavors, I will see you at the tables!

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have fun! :) it's a game after all,,,

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

That you deposit between 20 and 50 dollars and play micro levels until you make a good box and go up the levels ...

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
To play freerols at the beginning.They are so useful for new players.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Drop this game. You won't have enough nerves. Here is the best advice. :)

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
learn the basics of poker and play many freerolls, do it for the first 3 months and then if you want, make a small deposit in your favorite room or platform and start from the micro limits to play and over time you develop a game strategy that suits you best.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many strategy tips and advice, but one of the most valuable mindsets I believe is to have an emphasis on learning and improving. Even loses help you gain experience. Looking at poker from this perspective, short-term loses won't be as frustrating because you should (ideally) be becoming a better player as a result of that experience and learning process :)

P

pakyut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for all the advices. For me, I am still a newbie so I just read the comments here.