Were these All In calls correct?

Murasaki

Murasaki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Hi all, I recently made a thread about my recent downward spiral in terms of starting of well in tournaments but eventually losing most, if not all of my chips. I try to play as cautiously as possible, only making calls with strong hands such as 10, A or better, or with hands that are suited with a high card. Here's a couple of examples where I am in desperate need of chips and make what I felt is a good call, but I end up losing the hand. Did I make the right decision in these examples?

Example 1: Opponent goes all in and I called with 10, J of spades.
Example 2: I am in desperate need of chips, I go All In with A, 8 of clubs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221221_212957.png
    Screenshot_20221221_212957.png
    405 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20221221_214841.png
    Screenshot_20221221_214841.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 53
Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
More information is required, what was the action before you called?? When did you call?? Was it all preflop??

(y)

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I think there is no right or wrong call for all-in in this situations. If you are small in chips then you must choice the moment to go all-in or you lost your chips in blinds.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
The one with JT is a blunder. You didn't connect with the board and you havn't any draw nor a bluff catcher.
The one with A8c, you have to do some math and see if you have the right odds to call. Suppose that we don't know what villain is holding, we have to assign him a range, here we can assume that he will move in with at least a King. Your equity vs Kx is around 42%. suppose that each time you are offred a 1:1 odds, you need at least 50% equity to break even. Vs 2 pairs you have around 32% and vs a set you have around 25% equity.
For me I will call in this spot in 2 scenarios:
1- The player has a bounty on his head. (PKO, Bounty Builder)
2- I'm short stack.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I am not clear on a lot of details, did you shove the A8s or call his shove?, player and action at the table would help, A8s is def a far stronger hand that the JTs so I could make a case for a shove there, calling would depend on the player generally, not calling with the JTs unless I have no other option, ... generally

P

plusia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I believe that the 2 all ins are correct.. That's exactly how I would play, of course in poker the result doesn't always justify you

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
with A8, I still understand after the flop to go to All-in, but with J10 to go to All-in is a rude mistake, even a friend would say you should study if you play like this all the time, it's wrong

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Hi all, I recently made a thread about my recent downward spiral in terms of starting of well in tournaments but eventually losing most, if not all of my chips. I try to play as cautiously as possible, only making calls with strong hands such as 10, A or better, or with hands that are suited with a high card. Here's a couple of examples where I am in desperate need of chips and make what I felt is a good call, but I end up losing the hand. Did I make the right decision in these examples?

Example 1: Opponent goes all in and I called with 10, J of spades.
Example 2: I am in desperate need of chips, I go All In with A, 8 of clubs.
You had over 500,000 chips, how many big blinds was that, still a lot of info missing in your screenshots.

Last edited:
Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I believe that the 2 all ins are correct.. That's exactly how I would play, of course in poker the result doesn't always justify you
How can you say that from the limited info the OP has given, he says he is desperate for chips, but doesn't mention how many BB's he had, No info if ITM or what stage of the tourny it is, as asked above by MK_ was the A8 hand an open shove or was it a 3bet call.

Is the OP playing to win the hand with the J10 or win the tourny, there's so much info we don't know.

:)

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Your play is as mysterious as your description of it so I would definitely advise not to give up the day job just yet 😂

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like Zorba stated, more info is needed, stack size, position, opponents left to act, who shoved first, was it a 3 or 4bet...
If you want to learn from your hands (get good advise) you need to include everything

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It will depend a lot on the amount of your stack. The fewer chips you have, the wider your all-in range. I think those all-ins were good.

Murasaki

Murasaki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Clearly I didn't go about this well, I apologise for the lack of info on the hands everyone. Next time when I make a thread like this, I will provide more info about the hands.

Which sounds like it should be my chips amount or BBs left, if my call was pre-flop, after flop, turn or river card and how much my opponents wager as well.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Clearly I didn't go about this well, I apologise for the lack of info on the hands everyone. Next time when I make a thread like this, I will provide more info about the hands.

Which sounds like it should be my chips amount or BBs left, if my call was pre-flop, after flop, turn or river card and how much my opponents wager as well.
Basically the more info the better, but whenever possible include your thinking also.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Stage of the tournament (ie. near the bubble, etc.)
Stack sizes of ALL of the players.
Size of blinds
What type of player is villain?
HIstory with villain.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play all-ins with these cards even when playing freerolls. Well, unless I have a 5-6BB stack and there's no other way out.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both plays are clearly wrong from the math point of view.
From what I can see in the screenshots you still had enough
chips to get them in in a much better spot with better cards.