Can we limp A-K?

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cannot play a hand the same way every time. You have to mix things up. But it also depends on the situation. AK is strong preflop but it is a drawing hand. Lots of hands beat it at showdown. You have to read the moment and the opponents to determine your play. You may end up in a bluffing situation if it doesn't develop.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG limp is always suspicious, experienced players know that. I understand, you managed to double it, but you haven't played it well AK! Why? what if nobody raises but 3-4 player calls? the flop comes in and anyone can have anything! This often happens, and then the AK is worth nothing!

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends. If you're at an action table and you're in early position, you can easily limp strong hands like that. It's really important to not play all the hands the same every time.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think limping early with AK is fine as long as you are willing to get away from it when your trap does not work (big multiway pot). In other words if you have the post-flop skills I think mixing it up can be very profitable. However, raising and being aggressive is an easier line to take and also profitable most of the time.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That’s a good move against the right opponent. If you’re at a table with a lot of call stations you’re going to get outflopped most of the time. You open they limp and then it’s off to a flop. Then your CB will be getting called or reraise a large portion of the time especially if you’re multi-way. You’re right about creativity but it’s going to be extremely player dependent.

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer min raising with AK in Early position and raise to 2.7 or 2.5 BB in late position , limping in early position will often be read as a really strong hands

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm not a fan of this approach. Sure, on this occasion it paid off nicely and your 3 bet got called by a hand you dominated, but not many players are going to call a limp re-raised with KQ.

Limp UTG shouts strength to me if it comes from someone who open raises every time. Then the re-raise screams strength, so I'm laying down basically anything but AA and KK and then your AK has less than 30% against KK and less than 8% against AA

Don't forget AK might look pretty but is still only A high; any pair beats it. Even against a very average hand like 87o, you're still only a 62% to 38% favourite.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
limp with overcostly looks not effective at a distance

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So it is possible to play in simple tournaments, freerolls or inexpensive tables. To play serious tournaments in this way is a big mistake.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course you should play AK any way you want there is no standard way

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always do that. But usually, when I get two aces, everyone at the table just folds.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are missing value.

Your hand is not a "made" hand and you are not eliminating anybody by limping.

At the same time you have a strong hand and you should be building the pot. Say the villan has AQ, you limp and the flop goes A49- now your bet on the flop is smaller than if you had raised and the pot will probably end up being smaller -so you are risking getting outdrawn and winning less.

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to limp AK SB vs BB and the opponents shoven more often than bluff. Generally, I always raise it and rather limp AA. But ok, you can see that it can work with AK as in your example.:)

M

mousebites

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a pretty hand but dosen't always work out. limping is a safe move just incase it docent hit.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK

Of course, it changes by the situation.

RINPU, even if, even if I fold, that isn't minded.

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I never limp with AK, so as not to get into a rival a player with some kind of rubbish cards

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp with AK, someone's all-in would freak me out and I would fall (if small stack).
If I catch flop, I then check making original risers go all in and then just calling. Eliminated two that way yesterday :)

S

shwyga

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
usually 3 bet with AK. Well, a lot depends on the opponents

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's what separates the men from the boys, these readings table and opponents. I'm still on the side of the boys!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Amost always I raise , but sometimes if the opponent is very aggressive and I have very few blinds I might try to limp - raise all in . In freerolls I play a lot more crazy game :) I want to learn to entrap with some big hands more in the future , still I am working on it :)

dimasps12

dimasps12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I think that the standard move is to always raise, but each table is a table, so... For instance, if I am UTG, I raise 2BB. If I am in late position I do raise 3BB. Sometimes when I am SB, I do raise All-in, but also I just limp to see if a grasp more chips from the BB.

I think that we have to raise, of course, but seen how the table is going, we can change our way to play, to do not become too obvious.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did the same thing yesterday and ran into aces - twice. I'd rather get in cheap if I could.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Probably limp with AK only seems well in mtts with a short stack when you use 'stop and go' trick to increase fold equity.

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it really depends on how you read your opponents... I open shoved AA once in a tournament because I was sat around with snooty banker types who seemed to be the type to think they Should be winning

I figured at least one of them would come along

the guyright after went all in....I had him covered....

he flipped over AK
I showed my AA

after favorable cards I collected the pot and the other guys asked me what the heck I wasdoing open shoving seemed quite aggressive...told them I knew at least one of you would call.....made it all the way to the final table in that tourney....