Value of pocket 2s and difference between pushing and calling.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
by the way, and sorry i missed this in my previous post, this part i quoted above is a fallacy. what he got in one hand, or a recent hand, does not affect what he could get in the next one at all. just today i had a run of 4 hands in a row, in all of which i got pocket pairs. yes, it is a slim chance, but it will happen, and basing "a read" on that is definitely wrong. (your read was more in line with what he had done earlier, so that was better)

i still say that it was a gambler's decision, and since it worked for you, nice :)

Thank you for the info and I'll keep that in mind next time because I will agree with this and fix that thought. People can get pocket pairs multiple times within few hands. But I consider frequency of hands too sometimes because it gives better prediction and better read when I'm focusing on reads. Because this guy has been raising with hands like 78 clubs, TJ diamonds, all sorts of hands.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly do not understand the reason why people criticize me more than the guy who pushed with Q9s.

Because there is no comparison between shoving and calling an all in. DUCY? If you don't, load up sng wizard and play some shove ranges against a TAG.

Anywhoo, ya the call was meh, but who the heck cares. You gambled a little against a shortstacker and won.

Next time this happens, just say 'I felt like gambling' instead of trying to debate +/- EV and pot odds and hand ranges etc etc.

H

headtrip13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a fan of calling with 22, as per Sklansky's gap method it takes a bigger hand to call with than to shove with, 22 is dominated by all pockets pairs and a coin flip with pretty much any other unmade hand, so you have put yourself in a situation where your best case scenario is a coinflip, this doesn't sound like a positive EV position to me.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next time this happens, just say 'I felt like gambling' instead of trying to debate +/- EV and pot odds and hand ranges etc etc.

+1

There's also an image opportunity here that you shouldn't ignore, even (or especially) if you lose the race. "OMG, what else will he call down with???" will be a question everyone at the table will ask themselves when they have to play against you.

Be cocky about this play, not defensive, as Effexor implies above.