Typical BB defend

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unknown opponent make a standard op-raise and c-bet50%.
You defend BB with a call and now have 2nd pair.
What's next?

Flops are typical:
K♦ 9♣ 5♠
J♥ T♠ 7♠
A♦ Q♥ 4♥
etc...

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check raise if you wanna put pressure on villain and his weak holdings. Call works great also

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the range the RFI is playing, which against a thinking player mostly depend on position. Against a UTG open on an ace-high board, you should probably fold. Against a BU open you could get sticky. Check-raising with a marginal holding is bad most of the time, you really just want to realise your equity share.

What makes poker fun (and profitable) is that there are no hard rules for general situations like this. It always depends on a lot of different factors. If it were easy, everyone would do it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I flop second pair on boards like those, I will almost always check-call a 50% pot bet. Second pair definitely has showdown value against a flop C-betting range, and it also has potential to improve to trips or two pair. If we fold, we are folding way to much to C-bets, and second pair is typically not strong enough to check-raise.

Its quite common to then end up folding to a second or third barrel. But thats ok, because it puts the opponent to the test to actually fire those barrel and in tournaments maybe risk a large percentage of their stack. If the opponent has nothing, its quite common, that they will give up and check behind, and then we can get to showdown and be good with our second pair. Or if they check back turn, we can either bet or check-call river on some runouts.

Configuration and exact board texture also matter though. If the opponent opened UTG, I am more excited about having QT on JT7 than on AQ4, because I expect the opponent to have way more AX than JX in his range, and on JT7 I also have some backdoor straight potential.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the opp is weak, then you can check-raise right from the flop. If the regular, then check-call.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably depends on player types and my own table image. If a completely unknown opponent (like we have here), then I'm more likely to play straight-forward or fold the first few hands to observe how they play.

Ironically, if playing live poker, then no one is completely "unknown" because I can observe how present themselves and interact with others even before the poker game begins.

I don't like the check-raise ideas mentioned. It might work for some people, but I feel like check-raising is only getting called by hands better than 2nd pair.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its really hard to say to be honest. I would depend on who is raising me and what style player they are and what they have in there range. I could lead or or check call and could check raise. Its really player dependent to me.

C

Carlloss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against a weak/medium opponent, I prefer to follow the check/raise line on the flop, but knowing that I need to have enough chips to release another strong bet on the turn and river if need be, many bad players don't release a draw or a pair. average so easily. Against a good player, I prefer to re-steal preflop, to fold to a 3bet, but I only do this with a hand that I can play postflop, many good players will call re-steal to steal the pot in any sign of weakness.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe check-call with LAG with plan to call to river if cards don't get worse for our range