The Two Types of Equity (Day 4 Course Discussion)

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 1 - Chapter 4

This chapter definitely gave me a headache with all this math!

When I play live and I try to do math, my opponents usually get frustrated. They have no idea how hard my brain is working trying to put all this math into perspective.

I guess it will get easier with time.

Response to video question;

Q1 - Killdonk has 8.8 % equity

Q2 - Killdonk has 42% chip equity

Q3 - Killdonk has almost 0% fold equity. Very little chance that
villain folds holding top pair!

Q4 - Killdonk has a 58% equity gain in chips if villain folds.

Hope this works out. A lot of hard work there but really good information.

One more chapter to catch up with the crowd. Whew, what a grind!

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys. Day 4 completed. I like the point about determining equity based on the range of opponents and is something I hadn’t really thought too much about, but listening to it and reading it through in this course has made so much clear sense.

Thanks Collin.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Bentley, glad to hear that!

Nice work Redboy and Ammje!

A

armadillo999

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
EV is What?

Simply the probability of winning the hand at the end.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understanding the equity is very important for a player dont get into tilt, iff u understand that in every single pot u play a persentage is yours and another is off the vilain,off course only one will take the pot donw,but dont forget u have take a part that doesnt bellong to you and you will have to return it sunner or later, iff u understand this is impossivel for you to go tilt because off lousing a hand or because off been in a donw swing

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hey!!
This part of poker study I am actually struggling with for a while. It kinda stops me from advancing because it seems very complicated, especially that english is not my mother language and I don't know the equity term outside of poker!
But here, in this course, and I'm fairly expressing this, equity is very well explained, and I am happy to finally getting over this (a little bit ashamed since this concept is very simple)

Anyway. Thanks again for the knowledge

gl gl gl

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys. Day 4 completed. I like the point about determining equity based on the range of opponents and is something I hadn’t really thought too much about, but listening to it and reading it through in this course has made so much clear sense.

Thanks Collin.

There's a lot more to learn in future lessons - you are going to love this course!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe this section contains one of the most important aspects of gaming..what is your presence worth and what are you bringing to the table. When you`re at a table everyone sizes you up in terms of equity...who thinks they can own you and who thinks you will own them. This is where equity first introduces itself (ie. The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time). In the video, K9u vs JJ, if K9 was known to rarely go all-in then JJ would think it plausible to go all-in despite being at a known disadvantage. In my opinion, there should be another bit of information, possibly in the form of player notes or other format that must account for K9`s tendencies..a feasibility threshold for example.

The Kelly betting criterion was derived from Shannon`s work in information theory and in my opinion to properly assess the equity attributed to each player in the hand requires more information on each player`s behavioral tendencies. At the very least, there should be some volatility measure associated with the equity values as shown.

Although not explicit, certain intrinsic measures of data can be modeled surprisingly well with Benford`s Law. Can Benford`s Law, Zipf`s Law or other such statistical observations be used to enhance Kelly betting (thus equity)....other than finding weaker and wealthy poker players.

Information Theory sounds interesting indeed. I am not a great math person by any means, but I love investigating things like this logically or hypothetically. I was familiar with some of Shannon's work, but not on information theory.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Side note here: I kind of laughed inside when the lesson revealed that there are two types of equity ... "bluff, we are poker players so get used to it", then actually discusses more than two types. xD

O

osvimanCC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a good concep to keep in mind but not sure if it's good to use it when playing live.

Guess I will find out with the time.

:)

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically we have to know the player's range of cards to have a more accurate idea of equity, AA against a tight nit player is not the same as against a manic player.

S

Showbizin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 4

Thank you for explanation of one of the most important topics. It was informative and easy to understand. Much appreciated!

When I started playing poker I heard about equity many times so I decided to study it first of all. When I read your book I've already known what equity is. Despite that fact, I found out lots of new things for me (fold equity, for example). Moreover, now I know how equity is connected with EV.

I have a question: how to maximize EV? I put opponent on a range then count my equity and play pots with 50%+ equity and don't put chips in less than 50% equity pots? :confused:

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Side note here: I kind of laughed inside when the lesson revealed that there are two types of equity ... "Bluff, we are poker players so get used to it", then actually discusses more than two types. xD

:D :D :D

Thank you for explanation of one of the most important topics. It was informative and easy to understand. Much appreciated!

When I started playing poker I heard about equity many times so I decided to study it first of all. When I read your book I've already known what equity is. Despite that fact, I found out lots of new things for me (fold equity, for example). Moreover, now I know how equity is connected with EV.

I have a question: how to maximize EV? I put opponent on a range then count my equity and play pots with 50%+ equity and don't put chips in less than 50% equity pots? :confused:

Maximizing EV isn't quite that simple, but we'll talk a lot more about this in the days to come including the process for optimally playing draws.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my oppinion, it is always better to thing in % equity. Am I right? If not, in which situation am I wrong?

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another question: can I use Equilab while I am playing at pokerstars?

Why not? Use it if you have enough time to choose your hand and range of the opponent, it is not easy. It’s better to calculate the special situation and mark the patterns.

If I am having trouble determining equity fold. Does this mean that I'm not good enough to put an opponent in the range?
Do we calculate fold equity?

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not? Use it if you have enough time to choose your hand and range of the opponent, it is not easy. It’s better to calculate the special situation and mark the patterns.

If I am having trouble determining equity fold. Does this mean that I'm not good enough to put an opponent in the range?
Do we calculate fold equity?

7NPCRIr.jpg

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my oppinion, it is always better to thing in % equity. Am I right? If not, in which situation am I wrong?

Yes, if there's an option to think in terms of equity, you would always want to do that :)

Another question: can I use Equilab while I am playing at pokerstars?

Carmenzu is right; Stars doesn't allow you to use many programs when you have the software open. This list includes both ICMizer and Equilab.

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really enjoyed the comparison of equity to house prices - makes it so easily relatable! I thought I understood equity pretty well, but this chapter is so well written - I really enjoyed it!

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Important fold equity term if we get to dominate it well and added to the ranks of your opponents before the flop and after the flop; and against a passive player our fold equity can give us a big pot.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really enjoyed the comparison of equity to house prices - makes it so easily relatable! I thought I understood equity pretty well, but this chapter is so well written - I really enjoyed it!

So glad to hear that, thanks Mateo!

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
day 4 complted , equity has various types, and from what i have read in the guide , there are prinicpally 2 types , thnx collin for the great explanation and thnx CC for having theses great people amoung us in the best poker community ever

italorohdrigues

italorohdrigues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just finished watching Day #3 and #4 and those videos really complement each other, really great content!

Also I realise I've been using fold equity pretty much on spots close to the bubble or the final table, this not the first time I hear about fold equity but I didn't quite know exactly what it was, it's nice to understand the specific move I'm making now