Tips for Winning Poker: Over-Betting the River

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thx Shells, great read, maybe if I read this earlier I might be a little bit ahead. cash games always seem to get me and learning how to extract that extra from made hands is a play I don’t often do if ever, I’d usually bet small looking for the few extra dollars or hope for the reraise/shove.
Hope this helps👍

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thx Shells, great read, maybe if I read this earlier I might be a little bit ahead. cash games always seem to get me and learning how to extract that extra from made hands is a play I don’t often do if ever, I’d usually bet small looking for the few extra dollars or hope for the reraise/shove.
Hope this helps👍

I am a tournament player, and I tend to think that we need chips as often as possible. Getting a fold with the nuts seems like a disaster in a tournament. We do not have the nuts often enough to let it pass. A small bet that might get raised, but will certainly get called seems superior to me.

When we do the math, this is all about comparing EV. A quick GTO+ look at the EV suggests that we could get 80% fold equity with the shove and only 20% fold equity with the small bet. Since we don't know much about this player in the example, we have to assume they know what we know and will make a good decision here. If they are aggressive, then the small bet seems like the best way to get their chips.

Good article, either way. Good luck and God Bless.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a tournament player, and I tend to think that we need chips as often as possible. Getting a fold with the nuts seems like a disaster in a tournament. We do not have the nuts often enough to let it pass. A small bet that might get raised, but will certainly get called seems superior to me.

When we do the math, this is all about comparing EV. A quick GTO+ look at the EV suggests that we could get 80% fold equity with the shove and only 20% fold equity with the small bet. Since we don't know much about this player in the example, we have to assume they know what we know and will make a good decision here. If they are aggressive, then the small bet seems like the best way to get their chips.

Good article, either way. Good luck and God Bless.
against a thinking opponent
the overbet can sometimes get calls from even worse hands than usual
bigger river bets look more bluffy to your opponent

569bb7fc1aabd95664f94d1e8005a44b.png
-Ashley Adams

Last edited:
AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just a great article
Ashley Adams words it very well and has some great insight every player should have in their bag!
TY Ashley for writing that!
GO CARDSCHAT!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Interesting read. Not sure it applies at the micro level because I think most players call or fold the river based on their hand - not a lot of thinking about whether opponent is bluffing, or not. I do like it for tournament play, so if I go all-in just know that I have a made hand and fold!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice advice. I've employed this overbet shove move occasionally, but perhaps I should try it more often. What is sure is that it depends on the opponent you are up against for certain.

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a quick look, nice stuff

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sufficiently informative and well-composed article, I look forward to a continuation.

Jwl8092

Jwl8092

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good stuff... Use everything you can learn and most importantly .. know your table

JW

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love me a good overbet at the right time.

there's so much value to be had when you know someone simply isn't folding no matter how much you bet (and you have them beat) or likewise... when you know someone isn't capable of calling a huge bet and you want to run a bluff.

That's something Greg Merson told me was such a gamechanger in his game was that he was happy to use overbets but he was consscious of knowing 'when he had to have it' vs 'when he didn't need to have it'

A lot of that is being attuned to your opponents, aware of your table image, and knowing what the dynamic between you is.

Powerful stuff. Thanks for the share Shells!

Q

Queen Anna 777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River can change everything .. i wins so much on the river with an flush full or street .. very nicy but u cant get everytime luck .. sometimes is an fold better than a lucky gamble

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars Poker Tips