Time taken to becoming a winning player

T

Tails97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

Just recently started playing again and was just wondering how long it took people to start becoming winning players and if there was any game changing tips that helped you become a winning player.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't really say as I was lucky enough to win my first MTT with the potential to win money! (it was an event through cardschat).

At least for my limited experience, a lot of the "winning" comes BEFORE you ever get to the tables though. I studied a lot of the cardschat course, took detailed notes and even read a few poker books from cover to cover - for sure it helped me play well...and perhaps get a bit lucky too ;)

My preparation gave me a better chance to get "lucky" though :)

One tip of advice which helped me a lot (although simple) was to "bluff less and value bet more." I (and many others starting) have a natural inclination to try and trap opponents, but sometimes it is better to play straight-forward and bet your stronger hands :D

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hey everyone,

Just recently started playing again and was just wondering how long it took people to start becoming winning players and if there was any game changing tips that helped you become a winning player.

Hello!:wavey:
To be honest, I've never been a winner (except on one occasion when I won a $215 tournament ticket for first place). I won prizes in tournaments with monetary rewards, but I couldn't win. I believe that the best teacher is practice, and I openly write about it everywhere: in practice you will meet something that will not be written about in books.
Don't worry about losing and strive for victories. Good luck!:icon_flow

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am on my second try with the poker, but this time I done better than last time. I'm still not into too much winning I make the money, I still need to manage my bets better when I know I have a hand that can be beaten in the turn and the river I think perhaps I over commit to what really is a bad hand. Even though I'm winning, I think in the later stages two pair is one where I loose alot of chips. Straights and flushes normally

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning vs losing…. Running good vs Running bad

I believe that some poker websites (weather they want to admit it or not) make internal adjustments to favour some players over others. You can only run bad for so long…. Can’t you?? I mean how can you run bad for 10+ years on some poker sites?? The odds do not make sense. :)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning means that you will have a strong interest in every aspect of the poker tournament.
It will take years.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My concept of playing poker is never play your own money. I started with 4$ August 2021 and now at 190$. It's not much but I take it gradually and try to improve my game rather than get to higher limits ASAP. So my advice is never put any considerable amount of money and preferably don't put any at all and try free roll your way up to some starting $$$.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Painstaking work on the game will make you a successful poker player, but you need to understand that this will take at least 2 years. If you will work out the mistakes and avoid them. Patience and composure are also very important.

duri32

duri32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From what I've learned and heard it takes a long time but once you are patient and hard working succes will come.:)