tilt issues

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if they do i raise knowing that my 7s r still good then they shove with kq kj qj aj aq r ak

This range is incorrect as it doses not contain a single hand that beats you

i was rite
about 40%-60% of the time im rite

The fact that the range is incorrect is reflected in this statement. If the range were correct then you would be correct 100% of the time as the range you give does not contain a single hand that you were behind.

so u think i should have folded my 77s knowing that he r she didnt have nothing but k high

As the range you give is incorrect and this is backed up by your own estimate of how often you are ahead its fair to say you didnt know your 77 was the best hand.

Until you can get to grips with whats being said in this post you wont be able to progress as a poker player.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember it IS a game, and shit happens, then go for the hard stuff, and swear at the dealer...........

If you are pretty sure you are doing your part right, then you have to understand that sometimes the poker gods don't like the color of your undies and will punish you for your audacity. And trust me, they can see thru whatever you use to hide the color of your undies.:toilet:

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only sure way is to stop and take a break until you calm down.

For me at least, the suckouts happen in bunches. I went one month without winning one all in where the chips went in on the flop. I don't play that many hands per day but that's still some stretch.

Try to start each session with a calm head and hopefully lady luck has had her fun.

bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Drink heavily and swear at the dealer..........

Remember it IS a game, and shit happens, then go for the hard stuff, and swear at the dealer...........

If you are pretty sure you are doing your part right, then you have to understand that sometimes the poker gods don't like the color of your undies and will punish you for your audacity. And trust me, they can see thru whatever you use to hide the color of your undies.

lol
well i was rite that hand and i took a big beat on the turn
heres a hand that i was wroung and only reason i put him all in is because i had him well covered in a sng i was dealt 97o on the button he was in hi jack raised it up and i called every1 alse folded flop comes k9k 2 hearts he bet pot i raised him all in after a lil. thought he called after and turned over aces so i was beat badly no 7 could help only 2 outs maybe 1

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
only reason i put him all in is because i had him well covered in a sng

Oh well I give up until you realize that having 97o on a KxKh9h flop which was raised pre is useless.

How many combos that you beat will be there taking opponents line ?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh well I give up until you realize that having 97o on a KxKh9h flop which was raised pre is useless.

How many combos that you beat will be there taking opponents line ?

OP is an idiot and has a lot to learn about playing poker.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's a cash game problem?

I found I could tilt lots of money off playing cash games, less so in tournament mode..maybe try some low buy-ins for MTT's?

ps: I'd take Stu's advice.

Last edited:
bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's a cash game problem?

I found I could tilt lots of money off playing cash games, less so in tournament mode..maybe try some low buy-ins for MTT's?
i may try muti table sngs ive noticed that
in tournament mode
i may play good
ive been playing for 2-3 years online and cant seem to take my bankroll over $145 that is the max ive ever had it thats from a $20 deposit
ive read tons of stuff on the net and stuff out of books

bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Losing is part of poker and all serious players, including the world's best, can recount losing streaks that lasted for months. Often, the downswing starts with a particularly unlucky run of cards. A series of bad beats or impossibly tough hands eat away at the bankroll. As the bad run continues, and money continues to disappear, players are forced to confront one of the toughest questions in poker: Am I a victim of lousy luck or am I playing poorly?
John D'Agostino knows how difficult it is to find the correct answer. "Any time I lose a few sessions in a row, I start questioning myself," D'Agostino says. "But I know that some days, even if I play perfectly, I'm going to lose."
Erik Seidel notes that in tournament poker, months-long dry spells are to be expected. In the midst of such a run it's hard to know if you're a victim of expected fluctuations or if there's something wrong with your game. "It's really hard to determine," says Seidel, "but I think most of us tend to fool ourselves and tend to think we're playing better than we are."
Then there's the inevitable interplay between bad cards and poor play. The pros report that in the midst of a bad run, bad luck can lead to bad decisions. Jennifer Harman notes that when things are going poorly, she has a tendency to push hands. "Let's say I have Ace-King and I don't flop a pair," says Harman. "I'll be in there raising. But there's no point. My table image is bad and nobody thinks I can flop a hand, so I can't bluff. I might as well wait till I flop a pair. At that point, my opponents are going to call me down and pay me off anyway."
For D'Agostino, a bad run can lead to more timid play. 'I definitely made some bad days a lot worse than they needed to be. Sometimes, I started playing more passively. In the middle of a hand I'd be asking myself, ‘How is this going to go wrong?' But if I played the hand the way I usually would, I'd have won the pot earlier on." D'Agostino says that when he has that sort of mindset, he's likely to miss bluffing opportunities.
Such a streak can destroy a promising player. Harman says, "There are a lot of players who have gone on losing streaks and can't recover. They start playing bad and thinking that they're doomed forever. And all of a sudden, they're on the rail."
How do the pros get a handle on their play and determine what's causing the downswing? Harman recommends sharing hands. "I'd ask people to watch me play or I'd jot down hands and ask friends ‘Did I play this right?' If they said I was playing it wrong, I'd have to reevaluate my play because I was letting the losing streak affect my play."
"Just book a win," says D'Agostino. He notes that confidence is critical at the poker table. So, in the midst of losing streak, leaving a session with a win - even if it's a small one - can help a player regain that mental edge. "Once you can feel confident about yourself, things will start to roll," he says.
Finally, a winning player needs to develop an honest, self-critical nature. Seidel notes that he rarely talks poker, but when he and John Junada chat about a play, the conversation usually begins, "Listen to how badly I played this hand.…"
When playing online, there's every opportunity to assess your play. Save your hand histories. When a session is over and your head is clear, review your actions and see if you can spot problems in your play.
Team Full Tilt
heres a tip from the pros on running bad
heres another tip on tilt
By Ben Roberts -- About two years ago, I wrote On Cavemen and Poker Players, in which I talked about the importance of learning to control your emotions at the poker table. Since then, I've had time to further refine my views on this topic, especially when it comes to the concept of tilt.

To begin, let me state the obvious: tilt happens to everyone. In fact, it's safe to say that tilt is one of the most feared words - and concepts - in poker.

So, what causes tilt? Well, that's different for everyone. For some, it's a bad run of cards or continually getting unlucky when your opponents hit their miracle two- and three-outers on the river. For others, it's just playing poorly for an extended period of time.

No matter the cause, however, the fact remains that once most players do finally go on tilt, all bets are off and their games suffer. They end up playing the wrong cards in the wrong situations or at the wrong times and losing a lot of chips. For some players, this can be the beginning of a vicious cycle that feeds upon itself and, eventually, destroys their confidence along with their bankrolls.

Knowing what causes tilt is one thing, but the bigger question is, what is tilt? Personally, I believe it's a chemical reaction that takes place in your brain. It's similar to the primal emotion of being in danger, coded into our DNA just as if we're in the forest being hunted so many thousands of years ago. Instead of being chased by some wild animal, we're being hunted by other players looking to gun us down with another bad beat.

Ben Roberts
An unexpected phone call mid-betting-round can definitely precipitate tilt.

The effect of this primal emotion is enormous - your whole chemistry changes and you go into a different frame of mind that will completely change the way you play the game. The key to stopping this from happening and going on tilt is the ability to separate yourself from that emotion. Rather than playing based on that primal instinct, you should continue to play smart, thoughtful poker without worrying about your short-term results.

In order to achieve this, you must train yourself to believe that winning and losing at the poker table, at least over a short period of time, both have the same meaning. This might seem counterintuitive at first, because the object of the game is always to win. But you have to accept the fact that you can't win every hand and that losing is a part of the game.

Look at how you approach a coin-flip situation. If you're winning at the time you're faced with a coin flip, you're going to be more hesitant to take that chance because you don't want to risk losing what you've already won (and possibly more).

If, on the other hand, you're presented with the same situation when you're losing, then you're probably going to be more willing to take the risk and go for the coin flip because you want to win your money back.

Ben Roberts
Coin flip: Hmm... should I take the chance?

Either way, I think both cases are detrimental to your game because in either situation, you're more worried about the short-term outcome rather than about playing solid poker over the long term, which is what being a winning player is really all about.

When you become indifferent to winning or losing over the short term, you won't have to worry about going on tilt because you're focusing simply on playing good poker. That's all that matters at the end of the day - playing well.

As poker players, we can do nothing more than to play our best game and let the cards fall as they may. When you adopt this attitude, your long-term results will take a turn for the better, no matter what kind of variance you face over the short term.

-- Ben Roberts
OP is an idiot and has a lot to learn about playing poker.
who is op for the 2nd time

Last edited:
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
op is original post, OR original poster. And in this case it is ........bigdog6262.....surprise!;)

Also, for future references, please include source info for quotes.

bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
an idiot that was rite that hand i would say ur idiot for telling 2 fold the better hand regardless of the cards i didnt say he/she mite have such as q10 a10 any 10 combo any over pair i knew she missed like almost 100% sure
so ill make u fold ur mid pair to me knowing almost 100% sure that i got nothing huh well gl with folding the better hands 2 ur opponents wanna be

the 77s was cash game
that k9k hand freeroll wouldnt done that in a real money sng

ty for letting me know that dj11 alrite will do

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
an idiot that was rite that hand i would say ur idiot for telling 2 fold the better hand regardless of the cards i didnt say he/she mite have such as q10 a10 any 10 combo any over pair i knew she missed like almost 100% sure
so ill make u fold ur mid pair to me knowing almost 100% sure that i got nothing huh well gl with folding the better hands 2 ur opponents wanna be

the 77s was cash game
that k9k hand freeroll wouldnt done that in a real money sng

ty for letting me know that dj11 alrite will do

Reread my posts.

Against a range that includes some hands you beat and some that beat you, you simply do not have enough equity to call an overbet.

You think your "read" is correct about 40-60% of the time which translates to "the range contains some hands that beat you" THis means you are not 100% or near 100% sure he missed.

You need around 65-70% equity to call overbet shoves, so if you do an ev calculation you will be loosing money not winning money by doing this.

Why dont you understand this? I dont think I can explain it any more simply.

Calling preflop with hands like 97o is horrendous. There is almost no possible range this hand has enough equity against to call.

Last edited:
bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
97o yes is almost a fold like everytime u get it but that was free and i was chipleader and felt like playing my botton and 97s is like 1 of my fav. cards 2 get preflop
40-60% of the time im rite in different hands im pretty good on reading hole cards of my opponents hell it mite even be 30-60 but im good at that and that rite there will be 1 of my best things at the table im trying to get even better at it
but that 1 hand i was almost 100% sure he missed
i dont remember how i got the read maybe i could tell by the c-bet but i was like 75-100% sure he missed

heres a hand that i played not 2 long ago but it will kind of show how good i can be on reading hole cards
10 handed sng
i think he was mp3 utg3 whatever its called he limped with ak and thats the hand i said he had from get go
anyways im in the small blind with ajh i knew he had ak so i just called the rest of the blind glad i missed the ace lol
but at showdown he turned over that ak

Last edited:
Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive added more 2 my post above
theres another hand that i posted on here on how i knew some1 had poket qs

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think he was mp3 utg3 whatever its called he limped with ak and thats the hand i said he had from get go
anyways im in the small blind with ajh i knew he had ak so i just called the rest of the blind glad i missed the ace lol
but at showdown he turned over that ak
Ok, this thread is ridic and Im sure Stu will come in here and be the boss that he is but what you wrote here makes no sense. Villain limps and you put him on a single hand? ROFL. Then you you let him get to showdown knowing he has AK and no A on the board? Why didnt you use your awesome hand reading abilities to win the hand? DUCY you are maybe not as good as you think you are? I think you need to drop the attitude or you will never learn how to play poker or stay around here long enough to learn more about it.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
my biggest tilt is when someone calls my all-in or any big bet , beats me and then says sorry .... i find the sorry after a suckout and insult... is this a wrong feeling,, because it really puts me on tilt,

I'm with you on the post-win apology. absolute foolishness.

definitely agreed! no need to offer fake apologies; plus its weak. its just the way it is;) ty come aghain
This is what tilts you guys the 'most'??:confused:
Interesting interpretation of their 'sorry'. Personally I don't mind it at all... & the way I'll typically interpret it is (typical situation, MTT play), villain gets it in bad vs. you, sucksout, knows he either 'played it poorly', 'misjudged', 'bad read', etc. & says 'sorry'. I take it for what it is... 'sorry' meaning he knows you played the hand well (got it in way ahead &/or had villain play their hand poorly given the situation) & he got lucky. I don't take it as him bein' sorry he got lucky. Instead I see it as a sign of respect for your play.

I see similiar situation happening often & then villain says ridiculous comments in chat like "bye bye loser", "I got your chippies", etc. etc. I see this stuff quite often (doesn't tilt me although at one time it did). I'd take the 'sorry' over this other B.S. any day of the week.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've actually run sn's on there a bunch in the past (first 5 names & you'll see their VPIP/PFR & cbet%) "Elephant" covers a pretty wide range of players, typically "a very loose player who will play any two cards" VPIP >30%
A typical 'Elephant' in micro cash (based on a sample of ~30 players) is VP$IP ~38%, PFR 5-18% (you get your station Elephants & your spazzgro ones too).
If I see an Elephant on my table I'm always bum-hunting them & trying to get on all of their tables (just sayin'...)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ok, this thread is ridic
Yah but it's kinda fun too! :)

tilt issues for myself, taggin' players on my MTT tables, the BIGGEST Fishcakes on the table, knowing I'll get some great oppurtunities to get it in great vs. them (or have them make the worst possible action at the time, etc. etc.) then when the oppurtunity presents itself.. "BOOM".. they suckout with some ridiculous sheeee-ite (just had a few in-a-row this morning so they're still fresh in my mind). In the past this could mess me up for an hr. or more. Now.. not so much.
Today within 5mins. I busted out of 4 mtt's, sitting ok in each, losing to the worst BS you can imagine (ie. utg raise.. FIsh in UTG1 calls.. I 3bet otb w AA.. utg folds.. Utg1 4bai (HUGE) with KTo.. I snapcall & he flops the nut straight (ffs!). Another, fish raises 15x over UTG rs, I ship w KK in SB..he snaps me off with K5o & flops a set of 5's, lol.. BOOM.. 'gg'. Another was a satty, 5 off the bubble, I'm not playing any hands at all but get to see a flop in BB. Flop is checked, I turn nut straight & lead out.. freak in SB check-raises me so I ship it HUGE!! He snapcalls (we're even in chips) & he has air.. but rivers a flush, lol. The other.... more of the same B.S.

This is the stuff I typically have tilt issues with > you set yourself up for perfect oppurtunities vs. f'n donkeys & lose. In reality though, these idiots are GREAT for the game & although it really blows chunks at the time... it's no big deal if you're lookin' at the big picture. I know I'm getting better at it (show some signs of improvement) because now it's a few mins., sometimes 5-10mins. & I could care less about it (& while playing, it might last 10secs.). Before I would bitch about it for hrs., try to find friends who'd listen to my badbeat woes (while knowing its so counterproductive to my game).

Related Full Tilt Reviews: English - Dutch - German - Spanish - Portuguese - FT Casino - Full Tilt Poker Mobile