Thinking in Ranges (Day 3 Course Discussion)

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me and especially with amateur poker players, I think ranges are extremely important when it comes to reading players when they bluff. Some people that play in my home game will often try to represent a Broadway card or wet board on the turn when their betting was inconsistent with that hand PF.

They then often wonder why they get called by the better players, when they would raise PF with those hands.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just finished Day #3.
Ranges are key and we should continually try to improve and develop our ability to put others on ranges.

S

Showbizin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 3

Day 3 was not the hardest to understand for me but it's a bit harder to apply at once.
But several days passed and it seems to be easier.
Before I watched this video I tried to imagine a specific hand not a range. Now I understand how important to think in ranges especially in spots when opponent raises from UTG (his range is tight with high chances) then board T J Q comes and you understand that opponent could have a straight, for example.

As I'm not experienced in defining ranges and sometimes there is not enough time to think about ranges on microlimits MTTs I gonna try next: I want to open a picture of all possible ranges when I play to visualize ranges and think fast. And when I'll become more experienced it won't be a problem anymore.:)

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thinking in ranges didn’t come naturally to me either at first, but perhaps even more than most things in poker, I think it’s a case of the old cliche “practice makes perfect.”

And it sounds like you’re doing a great job with it already, way to go! :)

I love poker because there is a quiz in each hand to put the right range. If you guess correctly, you can play any two cards.
I practice my assumptions about ranges when watching high stakes online cash game or observe STT and try to guess what the players are holding. This is interesting because there are several showdowns, and you need time to correct the range of players. But low limit usually shows looser ranges it's normal.

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the limits in which you play, in micro limits or low limits the ranges are much wider than in the high limits, so first I think that you have to adjust and feel comfortable with the limits than with the ranges.

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We have to place our villains in a range of cards according to their usual moves.

M

Magicman1642

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is he flat calling with AK on the river. Can’t he have his villian on Ax and hope he gets paid with villian thinking it’s going to be a chop pot.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
what I like about ranges, is, they change after the size bets and the turn and river. it's interesting when a hand it is played preflop until the river, and you put the other player in a range, especially with lots of chips to play, deep in a tournament

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
day 3 completed , just finished watching the video and reading the article and all the discussion posts , very useful , Thinking in Ranges in a must know thing , thanks CC for this great thread , it will really helps me improve my game

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My quarentine is more productive and fun with this course ! Thanks for this !

SO glad to hear this specifically about improving your quarantine time; when I realized that the timing of the course coming out was going to be during the pandemic my hope was that it would make someone's time more enjoyable :)

A

Alpha325

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My range of betting is extremely different on the games play. Ex Heads up play to tournaments

M

Marcelobp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SO glad to hear this specifically about improving your quarantine time; when I realized that the timing of the course coming out was going to be during the pandemic my hope was that it would make someone's time more enjoyable :)
Be absolutely sure that my time is being more enjoyable with this course. Thanks katie !

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really nice course. This is pretty interesting chapter. Reading hands of your opponents sometimes is not easy to do but most of the time it could be obvious after putting on the range.

Regarding to quiz: I am curious what hand had the Villain :)

Poma Lekain

Poma Lekain

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the video lesson, it would be logical that in the last example the opponents have AA or KK. But in general, given the fishes and the fact that poker is allowed to bluff all these ranks often do not work.
It is very important to consider at what stage of the tournament this is happening, the way the opponent plays and the size of his stack.

K

koXhunter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to be onest if i play poker i just play it for fun don t know what to be aggressive mean so sorry but that is the way i played poker

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very interesting topic with great examples. Reading other players bets is really important and can help you save chips or win some. Regarding to quiz question I was thinking about hands like QQ, KK or AA

T

Tux97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Valuable lesson thank you. Just one minor thing, the expanded range on page 14 should include KQo.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting, I never heard or thought about Ranges before.

E

essimicke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is very interesting!

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Range is an amazing part of the game. It sure can be a leveling war when you're playing against better players who love to open wide in early position. Also can be a double edge sword when going against an agro player in late position who may possibly wake up with a hand when you decide to jam on them from the blinds. Range is a huge an important part of game. If you have loose players noted correctly their range can be ATC : any two cards. Always consider what your opponent is opening, flatting or raising you with considering your stack size or SPR : stack to pot ratio. This is why I love poker so much. Range can make poker a very complex game depending on the situation and players you're against. All you can do is make the best decisions at the given moment with the limited information you have available and hope you're correct when going for thin value or a bluff. Don't forget to study.

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Day #3 okay!

The concept I usually put in practice is: You don't play your cards, but the scenario.

No matter what u got, if u don't know how to use.

So, even with weak hole cards, considering position, and the possible hand of the villain, observing the action u can win.

meagain00

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Valuable lesson thank you. Just one minor thing, the expanded range on page 14 should include KQo.

You're completely right, thanks for pointing this mistake out! I've passed it along to the CardsChat team :)

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I still don’t know how to think in ranges, I play in the old fashion, intuition + observation of opponents.

M

morthiman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my biggest frustrations with range reading is removing too many hands from the range based on a passive action.

If we consider a starting range for a player and automatically remove QQ+ from their range because they didn't bet or raise, we may just be setting ourselves up for disaster. Many players are intentionally deceptive and may check some of these hands. It may be incorrect to not get value now, but I am sure they are thinking they will get the chips later in the hand.

So, as I mull these ranges over in my head, I just go around in circles never being sure of what they have or what they don't have because a check or a raise doesn't mean nearly as much as I would like it to. With that being said, i find myself being very wary of thinning out my opponents range and tend to trust the starting range and not so much trust the actions unless it is very clear.

Any tips for getting out of this quagmire??

Came here to say this, but he already said. So, what about slowplaying, setting traps. On the video, if the guy thinks I'm strong, and has a flush...he will tend to CHECK to induce my value bet...and then raise...>

I constantly think about this kinda of play instead of checking by being weak