Is there any situation uglier than this?

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most people will (depending on the stats of the opponent involved) will call an all-in if they are holding AK (suited or not). The most ugliest situation I can think of is if you are holding AK, you call an all-in... and it turns out your opponent has AA.

To me this is a horrible situation. If either the A or the K can go down and you will probably lose. It is almost impossible to win. Flushes and straights are also pretty rare.

If you are holding ANY pocket pair you have a better chance of winning against AA than AK.

What do you think?

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes this is a very bad situation setted with AK against AA or KK. But not hopeless against my AA sometimes collected straight or a flush and the CC no one has been canceled! Ultimately, AK is very strong hand besides you block possible AA and KK!

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes this is a very bad situation setted with AK against AA or KK. But not hopeless against my AA sometimes collected straight or a flush and the CC no one has been canceled! Ultimately, AK is very strong hand besides you block possible AA and KK!

Yes, funny you mention that about KK vs AK (off-suit or suited) as well. I was going to include AK against KK. The thing with that situation though is that if an A goes down (1:16 chance) you will most likely win under most circumstances.

I know AK has a very high probability of winning against an unknown hand. I think I may be right in saying that if you hold just 22 you actually have a better chance against AA than if you were holding AK. I could be completely wrong though if you take into consideration straights and flushes.

Last edited:
fenoz

fenoz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that AA defeats you is not so offensive. It is much sadder when your couple, for example, QQ loses QJ, or KK vs QK. Even before the flop, right after the opening, you see that the opponent’s chances are negligible, and then the street moves in a wonderful way.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lost so many times with AA vs AK going allin preflop on pokerstars. Board goes like QT8, and i know turn will be J.

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lost so many times with AA vs AK going allin preflop on pokerstars. Board goes like QT8, and i know turn will be J.

Would have been glad if that happened with me today, but I lost with AK against AA again!

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that AA defeats you is not so offensive. It is much sadder when your couple, for example, QQ loses QJ, or KK vs QK. Even before the flop, right after the opening, you see that the opponent’s chances are negligible, and then the street moves in a wonderful way.

Yes, and it often seems to happen to the players who play +60% of their hands :rolleyes:

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most people will (depending on the stats of the opponent involved) will call an all-in if they are holding AK (suited or not). The most ugliest situation I can think of is if you are holding AK, you call an all-in... and it turns out your opponent has AA.

To me this is a horrible situation. If either the A or the K can go down and you will probably lose. It is almost impossible to win. Flushes and straights are also pretty rare.

If you are holding ANY pocket pair you have a better chance of winning against AA than AK.

What do you think?

If you are afraid of allin preflop with AK, then you can play passively postflop, but if A or K rolls on the flop, you still give up your stack. So take it as it is.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A worse mistake is to fold your AK when in most situations, you will be ahead or at worst a 52%-48% dog when you come up against an under pair.

Sure, when you come up against AA or KK, it sucks, but the vast majority of the time you're going to be ahead.

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A worse mistake is to fold your AK when in most situations, you will be ahead or at worst a 52%-48% dog when you come up against an under pair.

Sure, when you come up against AA or KK, it sucks, but the vast majority of the time you're going to be ahead.

I do fully agree, I would not fold AK because it is a premium hand. Also yes, I am pretty sure those odds are correct. I think 22 does actually have a better odds against AK (52%-48%) but people say AK is actually better. I believe that is because IF the flop favors you, you can take down more hands (especially 22 or similar).

If I understand this right, it is:
  • To get a set of 2s there are 2 cards left out of 50 (if you don't know any other card).
  • To get a pair of aces or a pair of kings for AK there are 6 cards left in a pack of 50.
  • The straight or flush you get for AK will be the best (as long as the straight is 10-A!)

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I do fully agree, I would not fold AK because it is a premium hand. Also yes, I am pretty sure those odds are correct. I think 22 does actually have a better odds against AK (52%-48%) but people say AK is actually better. I believe that is because IF the flop favors you, you can take down more hands (especially 22 or similar).

If I understand this right, it is:
  • To get a set of 2s there are 2 cards left out of 50 (if you don't know any other card).
  • To get a pair of aces or a pair of kings for AK there are 6 cards left in a pack of 50.
  • The straight or flush you get for AK will be the best (as long as the straight is 10-A!)

The point is, you are more often ahead that behind and when you are behind, it is only by a small margin unless you run into AA or KK. So in the long run it is a profitable play.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having your top card dominated by a pocket pair is indeed the worst possible scenario all-in preflop. It does not matter, if you have AK against AA, or if it is T2 against TT.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is indeed annoying to be confronted with AA when you have AK, but I would not say it is horrible. This can happen and you need to accept this. What is more annoying is when you have KK and your opponent has AA. The other day I saw an all in situation with AA, KK, QQ, and JJ. No kidding. KK won because there was a K on the flop.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not that bad. For one, running into AA when you have AK is ~200:1 or .5%, so it doesn't happen very often. And two, don't worry about coolers, it's going to happen. Nobody is folding AA there and neither of you is in the wrong getting it in pre, so don't sweat it.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
It is an unfortunate situation but 'ugly'? I don't know, depends on how one views what ugly is. For me, ugly is when you get it in good and you lose.

Here, you are dominated opponent played correctly and you got it in bad so you lose. It happens, its unfortunate.

Ugly is when you are the one holding AA and you lose to AK. Now that is an ugly situation.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You will lose to AK holding AA and you will beat AA holding AK..

Just gotta play enough hands... :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ugly is when you are the one holding AA and you lose to AK. Now that is an ugly situation.

Assuming it was correct to get it with AK - which it often is - then I dont really see, why one outcome is more "ugly" than the other. If both played correctly, then it is per definition just a cooler, regardless who win. It also wont matter in the long run, since we will have AK against AA just as often, as we have AA against AK, and we will win our fair share of pots.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What do you think?

Think this is uglier not enjoying my absolute gorilla handling beats with AK today.
$100 buy in under the gun J8 lets go seriously.:argh:
https://www.boomplayer.com/32563221_588932491F

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What do you think?

In terms of equity, yeah this is about as bad as it gets, because especially with short stacks usually AK is very excited to get all the money in preflop. The good news is that typically if the roles are reversed you will be getting all their money, so it's just bad cards, not bad play, and therefore outside your control.

As for the ugliest... I think in my career of playing and watching poker it had to be this one

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is indeed annoying to be confronted with AA when you have AK, but I would not say it is horrible. This can happen and you need to accept this. What is more annoying is when you have KK and your opponent has AA. The other day I saw an all in situation with AA, KK, QQ, and JJ. No kidding. KK won because there was a K on the flop.

I would have to say I would much rather have KK against AA than AK. If it was an all in pre-flop and I was showing KK against AA, I would have my fingers crossed. Fair enough, it is only 1/24 (for each of the 5 table cards (don't ask me to work out the math on that lol)) for a set to be made. AK on the other hand means that either K or A goes down you will most likely lose.

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In terms of equity, yeah this is about as bad as it gets, because especially with short stacks usually AK is very excited to get all the money in preflop. The good news is that typically if the roles are reversed you will be getting all their money, so it's just bad cards, not bad play, and therefore outside your control.

As for the ugliest... I think in my career of playing and watching poker it had to be this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HBb_omw1AM

Oh man I could just see that coming :D (then again the title of the video indicates what will happen). Thanks for the video.

I saw something similar with my AQo but I was fortunately the recipient of the lovely flush. It was a hard decision but I decided to just go with and accept someone's all-in. Turns out they had AQo as well!

Both just sitting there thinking: "Yup, just another one of those split pots..." and then the river card changes all that. He must have been annoyed.

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming it was correct to get it with AK - which it often is - then I dont really see, why one outcome is more "ugly" than the other. If both played correctly, then it is per definition just a cooler, regardless who win. It also wont matter in the long run, since we will have AK against AA just as often, as we have AA against AK, and we will win our fair share of pots.

I agree it is correct play to go hard with AK but the all-in showdown pre-flop is just dismal. If it does get to the straight then I would consider that a horrid bad-beat for my foe.