Suited Connectors

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problems:
You're very rarely going to actually make your hand.
Going in with smaller cards you're going to be dominated a lot more often than normal and you're going to do a lot of donating.
that's where the postflop play comes in. U hit u kick ass. U do not hit .. fold. U have to be worried about an overpair or other strong draws. Anyway the postflop play is where good players comes in and there is a lot to study and experience to play. In theory is easy to play suited connectors .. but when u play them postflop all becomes blurry:)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U hit u kick ass. U do not hit .. fold. U have to be worried about an overpair or other strong draws.
You'd have to have buckets of implied odds to make this work....

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well as I seen in TV.. you can flop monster full houses. or maybe trips out of any cards.. so if you play suited connectors.. you can flop a straight .. or maybe flop a set of flushes.. goodluck though :D

I've also seen Phil Ivey bluffin with suited connectors..i don't know why but it works for him

rcrocketman

rcrocketman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey thanks for the info I always fold suited connectors now I will try to play them in my game instead of fold fold fold

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well as I seen in TV.. you can flop monster full houses. or maybe trips out of any cards.. so if you play suited connectors.. you can flop a straight .. or maybe flop a set of flushes.. goodluck though :D

I've also seen Phil Ivey bluffin with suited connectors..i don't know why but it works for him

In Phil's case, I'll venture to guess that the cards don't matter. Phil is playing the opponent and going with his reads as opposed to card strength.

isaac

isaac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey thanks for the info I always fold suited connectors now I will try to play them in my game instead of fold fold fold

lets break it down. Why would i rather be holding a 78 suited than a 96 for example.

for a 96 to be the nuts you MUST have a 785 on the board. Although a 7810 does give you the straight, you can always be beaten by a 9j. They same can be said for a straight flush, albeit unlikely you will be beaten.

with a 78 the board can be a 456 for the top straight or 569 which gives you 2x the the chance for nuts. if the board is 6910 or 910j you have the bottom end of the straight, but you still have WAY more possibilities for a straight.

Let me conclude you only have 1x for the nuts with 69 (785) and 1x other chance for a straight (7810).

As for 78 you have 2x for the nuts (456, 569) and 2x for a straight without having the nuts (910j, 6910) giving the hand 78 double the potential to hit a straight, which is why i would rather play suited connectors. it took me a while to figure this out, but i did. Now you know!:)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm almost 100% certain that anyone who reads most of this thread, and takes it seriously, will have their game suffer. The amount of bad advice swirling through this thread is just so ridiculous. If it was deleted, the site would be better for it.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I'm almost 100% certain that anyone who reads most of this thread, and takes it seriously, will have their game suffer. The amount of bad advice swirling through this thread is just so ridiculous. If it was deleted, the site would be better for it.

Can you be a bit more explicit, I found Sly, thepokerkid123 and Weregoat gave some useful analysis, I usually toss smaller SCs but may try playing some now to balance my range.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually toss smaller SCs but may try playing some now to balance my range.
Shazam, my point is manifested in your post.

1) You probably play at a stake level where balancing your range, especially preflop, is pointless.

2) Even though you listened to the better posts in this thread, it still caused you to come to the conclusion that you should be adding more SC's to your game.

3) This is the learning poker section of the site. The players reading this are likely going to consider themselves beginners. SC's are a pretty tricky set of hands to play, and newbies screw up playing them pretty badly. The topic is just totally out of place.

johnmenard1

johnmenard1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes I agree, I like suited connectors also, if I am in a tourney, and the blinds arent to high, I play suited connectors, alot of outs.

rcrocketman

rcrocketman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks been playin suited connectors more and have improved my game

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I don't think alot of newer players will necessarily look at all the posts as being 'advice' (or at least they shouldn't). Even the bad 'suggestions' on how to play SC's will hopefully get newer guy thinking about it... & maybe even seeing that said 'suggestion' isn't a good one. Any thinking... is always a good thing. Maybe giving 'good' advice isn't a 'good' thing?? (but that'd be a separate topic altogether).

L

lolrobertlol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah.I like suit connets.I alwalys raise 2.5BB LP to steal the blinds.
If some body call.
We always have chance to win.
:D

womackcali02

womackcali02

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the value of suited connectors is in the estimated value. If your opponent is raising with tight hands would you raiter call him with AQ or AJ knowing very well he could have you dominated. Or would you rather call with 78 suited and try to not only hit the flop but also he won't see it coming. The estimated value is the size of his stack. So if you are both deep in a tourney and he raises why not call with 78 suited it could get you the chip lead.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
suited connectors works a lot for me.. it can flop you a monster full house..
a straight or even a flush O.O Legit.. it's also good in bluffin :D