Studying poker with a scattered schedule?

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone! I want to (finally) start studying poker more seriously, but currently, it's really hard for me to set aside 1-2 hours straight when I can focus on playing + studying. Instead, I try to make the best out of the short free time I have early in the mornings and late at night when I try to read as much as possible. I also have a full-time job, so there's not much room to read anything during normal office hours. Any advice? I know this sounds chaotic, but maybe some people have previous experiences dealing with that.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hey everyone! I want to (finally) start studying poker more seriously, but currently, it's really hard for me to set aside 1-2 hours straight when I can focus on playing + studying. Instead, I try to make the best out of the short free time I have early in the mornings and late at night when I try to read as much as possible. I also have a full-time job, so there's not much room to read anything during normal office hours. Any advice? I know this sounds chaotic, but maybe some people have previous experiences dealing with that.
First of all, I recommend that you pay attention to our free course. I think you will be able to integrate this training course into your busy schedule. The course is made by professionals and really helps you learn the basics of the game very well.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you can wath movies on the youtube and work in poker programs and offcouse play poker game

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Dedicate 30 minutes to poker every day, playing poker every day, you will develop a useful habit. As you can imagine, this will significantly improve your playing level. The next tip is to create a space for yourself in which you will be alone with poker. You need a place where you will not be distracted and where there will be no irritants of any kind. Just you and poker for at least 30 minutes a day.Listen to poker podcasts. This is perhaps the best advice for all those who spend a lot of time in traffic jams, on buses or in lines or at work.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Any amount of time that you can dedicate to poker study will help you. You will find it a challenge to do this when working a job and have a family. It’s kind of interesting when I am profiling players (I play live) and see a wedding ring on someone, the first thing I think of is, ok this might be a family person, and if he/she is, how much time do they devote to study. So any study you do will be an advantage. The more you can study the more advantage you will have. Good luck!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have limited time the best thing you can do is to play and capture your hands with a tracker and then look for your worst leaks and then study that---it allows you to pinpoint exactly what you need to read and therefore max imize your time

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have limited time the best thing you can do is to play and capture your hands with a tracker and then look for your worst leaks and then study that---it allows you to pinpoint exactly what you need to read and therefore max imize your time
Yeah, that's a pretty good idea. As I replied on another topic, I think posting the hand in this forum and getting an outside perspective might also help improve my game. Thanks for the advice!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It is really not about how you put in the time and work but about making sure you do the work. I typically get 30 to 40 minutes a day before work. I study during lunch for an hour. I will also et time at the points of the day as well. What I found i i retained more information doing a few smaller sessions each day over 1 big one. As for when, I have gotten time to study during a work break, I usually wait 10 to 15 minutes a day for my wife to get out of work to study. Kids soccer practice, bring my laptop ad study , same for band practice or other school activities. You might be surprised at how much study time you can sneak in when you want to.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a busy work schedule, then maybe weekends or other days off are the best time to focus on poker? But if you do want to play and study during workdays, then for sure you need to focus on either cash games or SnGs and preferably turbo SnGs. And as others have said study does not need to be rocket science.

One option is to collect your hands in a tracker (I use PT4) and then review some of them after the session. As you suggest maybe even share them to the forum and ask other peoples opinion. Another option to take the 30 day course. As the name suggest, this is designed to be taken in small portions over a period of 30 days, even its possible to do it faster. Each video is typically 15-25 minutes long.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As said before, steady but perhaps only 20–30 minutes a day will help a lot in getting progress.
The steadiness in repetition is the big benefit.
It's like to train a special sport or playing a music instrument,
the things have to go into your brain that works more subconscious.
This is the way it works,
whether it is ranges, reading boards, players, fixing leaks, and so on.