Chips
Watch replays and later on play again to see If you get something

J

JordieChloe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play 2 to 3 times as much as you study. Review hands that were crucial in the session. What decisions were correct or incorrect? I find it easier to correct my mistakes if i know why I am making them.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if possible, make a schedule.
1 hour theory is the rest of the game.
find your mistakes and then read them and fix them.
Try the professional advice during your game. there is no limit to learning in poker

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played way more than study when I first started but that is because there wasn't much to study when I was learning the game, around 2004.

These days there are so many resources available to get better fast. Books, video courses, software tools, youtube, twitch, forums, hiring a coach. The list goes on and on.

I would spend a lot more time studying if I was learning the game today.

F

fastjob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both are necessary, the results will be the size of your commitment.

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys when first starting out poker, do you recommend studying more or playing more???

Alot of people say " Experience is the best tool of learning" but so many times during gameplay I'm very clueless and end up losing money.

Thank you.

Also, definitely will love to know on how you guys approach studying and then how you are applying it to your game.
when im studying players i uasually do very well when i have company or drinking just playing say you will i tend to get bounced alot sooner! always keep an eye out for low stacks to push on and never bluff a big stack!!!

M

muckem97

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played way more than study when I first started but that is because there wasn't much to study when I was learning the game, around 2004.

These days there are so many resources available to get better fast. Books, video courses, software tools, youtube, twitch, forums, hiring a coach. The list goes on and
on.

I would spend a lot more time studying if I was learning the game today.

Thank you, boss. Love ur book :)

P

patfreed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend playing heavily at first. You need to have some data to apply to your study.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning, for the first two months you should only learn and play freerolls. After getting paid places you should try cash games and learn more. Professionals recommend 25% learning and 75% of the game. Good luck

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need BOTH to do well.

If you arent playing dedicated structured poker at the table in good quantity and studying how to do so away from the table as well, you wont improve.

Id say every 3 hours you play = 1 hour of study/review in early stages. And can drop it to 6/1 once you hit the level you'd like to be at.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the most important thing in training is practice. But it would be better if you combine play and study.

S

soillwill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study at the table and watch your opponents make plays in inconceivable ways. This game is about more luck than skill when all is said and done. 2 7 off suit can be potential 4-of-a-kinds or full houses or a straight.. or absolute trash like they start out as.

P

pokerpick311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you study the mistakes you make when playing, the more advantages you take, if the errors do not manifest themselves and you are doing things right, I would say that you study the rivals, maybe this is your weakness to get the most out of your game, as long as leaving aside bad luck.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Studying e come playing low limits and freerolls is good way to learn some of the game.

Duraphig

Duraphig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree with most and say that they go hand in hand. You should spend time on both. Right now I am around 60/40 as far as playing/studying. It seems to be working pretty well for me at the moment as a beginning player.

I do think they can be done at the same time too though in a way. Write down or save hands you are unsure of and go over them after the session or the next day. I like after the session as they are usually still pretty fresh in my mind. Also keep track of some hands you think you played well and why and go over some of those too. It is good to know your strengths as well as weaknesses.

Another thing I would like to add is that some days either playing or studying will stand out for you more. Sometimes I notice a weakness I am having and want to study to improve that aspect which helps me concentrate on studying more. While other days I may start to study something bit find that it goes in one ear and out the other because I am not giving it my full attention. Find a balance that works well for you between the two so that you keep it fresh and enjoyable.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not do both, play an study? I read about anything if it helps my poker game. And I love to play, to....

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say mostly play, but you can also study much better players and listen to how they analyze how they play their hands.

While playing take note of how aggressive or passive players are playing BOTH pre flop and post flop. Some players are more aggressive post flop then they are pre flop.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, you need to know what level of poker you are. I advise you to have a mentor with experienced for appropriate guidance and counselling. Studying is always good way for be a good player.

A

awkplayer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice thread bro, It's very important for beginners.

B

babboonnexx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think once you have a solid foundation of the probability involved, and certainly applied to which pre flop hands to play you need to jump in and start playing. Youll gain ample knowledge of the flow of the game and after thousands of hands youll be a pro!

maybe start on freerolls!

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
From the beginning to play, and then disassemble your game on parts and corrects, eliminating all wrong decisions. If you do not study anything, and rely on experience you can not improve. And as online poker is constantly evolving, players improve themselves, then you will lag behind it and will not be able to compete in this large field.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys when first starting out poker, do you recommend studying more or playing more???

Alot of people say " Experience is the best tool of learning" but so many times during gameplay I'm very clueless and end up losing money.

Thank you.

Also, definitely will love to know on how you guys approach studying and then how you are applying it to your game.
When I first started to play poker online in 2005 I only played with play money.
I had played at least 15,000 hands if not more, before I ever got up the courage to sign-up to a real money account.
Back then I never bothered reading any poker books, my poker education was purely by playing the game and learning by my mistakes.
It took a few months and tens of thousands of hands played, before I felt confident and was not concerned in playing bigger games.
After a couple of years of self-teaching I finally decided to buy some poker books and study the game, for me this was probably the best direction to go by because I was in a position to truly understand what I was reading without having any confusion on the topics at hand.
The approach that I took to the game may not suit everyone but for me it worked out just fine.

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
playing...I think I have learned about all I can

L

Liezzi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you're starting out, you should study more than play. If you have a good experience and a solid game, you better balance the two. If you are an expert, you can play more than study because you only have to study enough to stay current

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you first learn. You need the funds, otherwise it does not have any sense to play. Without a basic knowledge, you can acquire bad habits, which is very difficult to fix afterwards. You can get practice afterwards.