Study or Experience?

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
believes that it is possible to be a good poker player and earn money without studying, and only through years of experience to be a good player. How did they do at the beginning of time? the study was created later.

H

Hotlantan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Studying is by definition learning from past experiences, whether they are your own personal experiences or the experiences of others. Someone has to gain experience in order to have something to look back and learn from.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
honestly i think reading books about poker is a real waste of time, you only need to study the basic. the experience makes you strong.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is much easier to learn how to perform correct actions from a good player, and then compare his actions with your actions in similar situations to put them into practice !!! Such training will be much faster and more efficient !!!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, the field of players in our time is constantly increasing and without training it will be extremely difficult to be competitive.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to do both. Study to learn the different strategies and then using them in game for the experience.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
believes that it is possible to be a good poker player and earn money without studying, and only through years of experience to be a good player. How did they do at the beginning of time? the study was created later.

Hello.
Of course, in order to become a successful player you need experience. But it is obvious that in addition to experience, patience, discipline and skill are also required. Only a combination of these factors can lead to success.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well ... the ideal is that both concepts go hand in hand ... if you combine the experience acquired with the current study ... you will have a mixture of extraordinary knowledge ...!

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the two go together!

you will only be experienced if you study and learn from your mistakes.

GL ;)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Study means to watch and analyse the informations you see and your experiences. So study was always with the game. Study and experience are needed both and they are always in front of us!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
In order to play the lottery, you do not need to study, you just need to buy a lottery ticket. There are many poker players who actually play the lottery and don't even realize it. But successful players never stop learning and are always in the process of improving their skills.
Good luck.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is studied at the beginning, it is necessary to know how to play and the hands that we must play depending on the position of the table that we find ourselves is to know what range of hands we must play.

Over the years and experience we develop more knowledge about the game.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You should at least know the basics of poker and then experience plays a bigger role again. You use your own experience and that of others. In order to be able to use the experience of others you either have to talk to others about it or you read it in books and that is a kind of study. You need a lot of hands to learn how to best assess the opponent at the table and that is experience again. I believe that after you have learned the basics of poker, you willingly or unintentionally continue to learn and gain experience

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played a lot to meet all kind of situations on tables and ofc a little study

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is true that you can only become a great player through experience. Small but in order to gain experience, you will need thousands and thousands of hours at the poker table. And with knowledge of the theory, you will need much less time to achieve the same result.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both is important. Without a study you will not improve your game. You will never learn poker without experience. To become a good poker player, you need both. It is important that you analyze your hands after a session and see which hand you could have played better. You can also check whether your decision was the right one and which one was not. This is the only way to improve your game.

Momo9292

Momo9292

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Study is very important, learning how to approach situations differently and expanding your knowledge of the game will greatly improve your EV. It is possible to become a good player without study, but 99% of people just don't have the correct mindset and logic to get there on their own.

I have seen players who have been trained by a coach for 6 months and they become winning players online in that time. I have also witnessed players who have played for 12 years and are still losing at the tables, also.. the majority of people are just losing players, that is a reality. The winners are the select few with natural intuition for these types of games, and the rest are players who put in the effort to learn how to win.

Nobody likes to really put effort into things, especially when it so easy to just pass it off as "Unlucky". All losing players are super unlucky, and the sites are "cheating" them, if you haven't noticed LOL. Meanwhile all the top players, all the winners get the same amount of variance and the same amount of bad beats, they just play situations better, and get more value from their hands.

Sorry this was so long, moral of my book here is.. If you want to get good, invest in it, buy a course, actually invest the time and complete it. It will take you maybe 1-2 weeks and you will begin to change your game and start looking at poker through the eyes of a winner.

If anyone is interested in some materials or wants to discuss further, feel free to message me! Thanks for reading!

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Knowledge is useless without practice, and practice will give little if there is no knowledge ))
A good formula is 1 hour of study and analysis of the game for 3 hours of practice...

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without learning in a more rigid, school-like way I think you can see some success, but you will have a cap in your ability that you will no longer be able to beat. Where that point is in your journey, it is hard to say.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My opinion is that experience is needed for the best game. To have only one knowledge seems to me to be superfluous, since sometimes you will play very carefully and lose a lot of chances to win.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most people don't know how to study. I sure don't. I have played by the seat of my pants for a decade, but it works out okay for me at my micro level. You don't have to be the best poker player in the world down here, you only have to be competent to succeed at the cheeseburger steaks... I know my range equity calcs, I've done my share of poker stove'ing thru the years, but I don't even use a HUD, I just wing it and do okay.

I used to think a college education was important to being a successful person. I went and got one myself, years ago... Boy was I ever wrong about that.

These days, I do not admire people with college degrees. I admire the people who learned a craft and became skilled at it (such as woodworking). Poker players are not the people with the college degrees, poker players are the skilled craftsmen instead. Book smart can only carry you so far, you need some common sense in life and you learn that 100% thru life experience. Same thing in poker IMO.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that studying is fundamental, the more you study the more you will earn money. Of course, experience is important, but in a game of decisions if you don't know why you make each decision, you will be having the wrong experiences and the wrong learning.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Experience is the main thing. I don't understand what theory there can be? There can't be the same approach to the situation at the table. Everyone knows that the strategy requires an increase of 3. It is already clear that the opponent has approximately. I don't see the point in these theories. I have never heard successful professionals say that theoretical courses or information from a book helped us. But this is my opinion, maybe it helps someone, and at this time it was possible to play. On the other hand, while they teach useless theories, I will not lose money. This is the only benefit for such players.