Which are some mistakes you keep on making?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I am aware that my game still has some leaks and of some I am aware but I still fall into the trap of making them sometimes. 🙈

Am I alone with that? If not, which mistakes do you keep on making (sometimes)?

One of the mistakes I cannot totally erase from my game is to (c-)bet with a (decent) pocket pair on a board with overcards.
GTO tells me not to do that but sometimes it works out indeed when the opponent missed completely but if you get called, you are usually behind.

I am pretty sure I lost more chips this way than won in case it worked out. 😅

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There can be protection benefits to such a bet though. Say board is K72 rainbow. Then hands like 88 or 99 can gain a lot of protection from betting and taking the pot down right now, whereas QQ play better as a check back. Lets say the opponent defended their blinds with JT, and turn is T or J. Now with QQ you can either call, if they bet, or go for a delayed C-bet, if they check, and both ways you are getting value. Whereas with 88 or 99 you are beat and need to either fold, if they bet, or check back again hoping for a miracle set on the river. Some common leaks of mine:
  • Not planning my session properly and as a result not being back from breaks on time.
  • Not paying enough attention and thinking, it has folded to me, when in fact someone has limped.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Funny thing, that you ask about mistakes because yesterday I made the same mistake in two seperate MTTs by playing too tight shortly before the bubble burst and it still bugs me :rolleyes: I need to learn to widen my range and either go down with flying colours or have a decent stack to get to the money :sneaky:

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I am aware that my game still has some leaks and of some I am aware but I still fall into the trap of making them sometimes. 🙈

One of the mistakes I cannot totally erase from my game is to (c-)bet with a (decent) pocket pair on a board with overcards.
GTO tells me not to do that but sometimes it works out indeed when the opponent missed completely but if you get called, you are usually behind.

Seems you're being too much aggressive, while aggression can be a powerful weapon in poker, overusing it can lead to costly mistakes.
If the c-bet doesn't work I just check, an try to keep it as low as possible, and catch one missed straight or flush trying to bluff me off the pot.
:unsure:I'm trying to not be always the police of the table, just sometimes Ace high is the best hand anyways.:p:cool:

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Not on a regular basis . ..but it's a repeated behaviour paired with insomnia ^^

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go into the hand, and I feel that it is not necessary to bet, the tight opponent has something higher than my pair, but I continue to bet

houcineben10

houcineben10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I keep gain confidence when i am running good an it make me ungry when a lost, then i became tilted because i want to win again and i play bad poker and i lost a lot :D

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
If you are making the same mistake over and over again then at some point it isn't mistake anymore

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well that's the definition of insanity....to keep on repeating the same mistakes over and over, and expecting a different outcome !!

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Well that's the definition of insanity....to keep on repeating the same mistakes over and over, and expecting a different outcome !!
Just wanted to post the same thing just now ^^
That's from Albert Einstein but I suppose you know that 😉

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
my mistake is winning at the beginning of the tournament by playing a good game and playing like this 2-3 hours after it gets boring and I just start checking and training so that it's not boring and draining a lot of chips:I CAN'T laugh:

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Due to some events at the beginning of the year regarding my family's health, I'm having trouble focusing on the game.
I didn't play for a week at the beginning of these problems, but I see that these concentration problems still bother me.
When I started playing again I realized that I was playing inconsistently, not focusing on the calling game with any pair I hit, that's a big mistake in poker, playing with your head full of problems, you'll never pay off like you should.
I was never a great player, but I always tried to play as correctly as possible and mainly to stay focused on the game.
I believe that to play well you must be well rested and fed to have a better use of the game.
Grateful Cesar

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Quite possibly what is happening here is that you are attempting to play GTO poker against the wrong players sometimes. As far as I understand it there is no point playing GTO against someone who doesn't know or care about it or isn't attempting to play it themselves.

SO for example in your leak. Against weak but not calling station type players I almost always C bet if I've raised and an A comes. Cos their basic thinking is, the raise pre is likely to be an A. Now they've hit so I'm losing. If they call I massively slow down.
I also think its a good idea to play slower with QQ on the flop tho, and dlay C bet on the turn, as for me one of my leaks is to get too attached to a very good hand TT, JJ QQ, and so this is one way to try and avoid that happening. As once you have C bet, then a blank comes, you feel like you have to double barrel!! Then I get in a mess! haha

I would just try C betting smaller maybe so you lose less? Almost all of GTO is a bit of a do this certain play this percentage of the time anyway, especially if its marginal.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
investing too much chips in one strong hand in late stages of a tourney in hope to double up and take the lead to relieve post stress and hope it will be a smooth sailing to victory, but mostly ending up busting:(

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I usually c-bet with second pair and raise the pot at the risk of the villain hitting top pair.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I'm going to repost as I ****ing liked the comment Mr Gon, it's nothing but the truth but it was said in a coherent context, well done!

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I usually c-bet with second pair and raise the pot at the risk of the villain hitting top pair.

I've heard it said several times already, that second pair is a great hand to check call, think about it.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Somtimes I call or raise when is obvious that the correct act is to stay calm

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Great topic, knowing how to identify your errors is the first step to correct them.

I realized that I am not respecting the bubble, I dropped out of some tournaments in the last few days without prizes due to this problem, lack of attention. And it is a very serious mistake, it drastically reduces my profitability, I need to be very attentive to this.

Another mistake that cost me a lot of money lately was also for highs, KK and AA, obviously the shitty deck didn't help me either time, because even though I squeze very high on the limps, for 8, 9 BBs, there were still fish that called with 10 and 7 off, J9 suited, here comes the board: 7 7 and 2, or 9 9 and 5, I make the C bet, the guy calls, nothing comes on the turn I jam everything, it happened more than once already, a very serious mistake I believe, I think I am hyper, over valuing the pairs, they have great equity pre flop, but everything can change on the flop, so analyzing the boards and maybe even folding a few times can save a lot of chips.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Another mistake that cost me a lot of money lately was also for highs, KK and AA, obviously the shitty deck didn't help me either time, because even though I squeze very high on the limps, for 8, 9 BBs, there were still fish that called with 10 and 7 off, J9 suited.

They're just the best starting hands, not Willy Wonka's golden tickets.

On a 772 flop, obviously 72 is King....but you can always hit that 1 card to beat them.

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I just had a perfect example tonight.... I was within just 12 places of getting a seat in tonight's Sunday Million.. I probably could have held on with the stack size I had so I should have waited

Most frustrating part for me is that I qualified for this sat during week. This one was 100 seat GTD into Sunday Million and you can't but into it direct, you has to qualify via the sat before. Your chips get carried over so I was only starting with 33K and the blinds started at 2k/4k with a 500 ante.

Over 600 players were in it, I started as one of the short stacks and then finished 112th.... Just 12 places from getting a seat in the Sunday Million tonight and who knows what could have happen if I got in.

Sickest man on cardchat tonight 🤮