Smallest stakes required to make a living?

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My numbers come from people I know that I just recently discovered made most of their $$$ playing poker (two friends I alleged to before in another post). I then got intrigued and asked them how they managed to get by, etc.

One of them used to grind the 100nl for a long time, 6 tabling it, and he made a niceish income while the other was a regular at some 10/20 LHE before switching to the more lucrative NLHE. Now the both play higher (400nl usually) and are quite happy with what they make. Altought not outlandish, one of them just bought a Yaris with cold hard cash (winter car since he has an older BMW for summer). Wish I could do that.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eww the guy's ballin and he buys a damn Yaris? ;)

Seriously, though, thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for, jeffred.

I remember dbitel saying he was sustaining himself solely on 400nl (I think 4 tables?). That and my recent multitabling just got me thinking about it.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Yaris is a nice car and he is a bit of an hippie (or maybe treelover...) so he wouldn't buy himself something with low fuel efficiency. Plus, he parties it up like any 23 years old with a high 5 figures income would do (and the fact that he is in a band doesn't help), so I'd wager that a lot of it is spent on girls/bars/guitars.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with the new green cars like the yaris. I know I'll be a dumbass when I buy my first car and get like a '93 eldorado gas-guzzling yacht and blow my income on maintaining the damn thing lol

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a curiosity thing. I know people obviously can make money at any level, but generally at what stakes is it considered possible to make a living?

I've been playing 6 tables of $16 turbo STTs, and while running very well but still getting my share of beats (one session got beat out of all 6 games...wee), I've been on an hourly rate that would be more than enough to fully support myself. I never thought $16s would be enough for someone to live off of though.

Also curious about nl and fl cash games too...

$16 STT's are fun and great money makers, i play them to death.

I have no idea if you can make a living off them though LOL, I made $130+ or so today from them... but it can swing so much... up down up down...because of the cost.

I figure, 67.50 for first when I win.. so I could lose 3 games, and win 1st in 4th one and still break even. If you are on a streak its like waaaaaaaaa so fast $... but if ur on a losing streak :( :(

Curious.. what place do you come in often? how many losses per placing of 1st-3rd? (you really gotta get 1st/2nd FAIRLY often for good profit)

Ya just realized you must be good, you are playing 6 tables at once???? I can barely do 2, hell usually I stick to 1. ( Didnt even see at first, I cannot even comprehend playing that many didnt even catch it when I had read ur post)

Last edited:
Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Yaris is a nice car and he is a bit of an hippie (or maybe treelover...) so he wouldn't buy himself something with low fuel efficiency. Plus, he parties it up like any 23 years old with a high 5 figures income would do (and the fact that he is in a band doesn't help), so I'd wager that a lot of it is spent on girls/bars/guitars.

Come on now, tell him to trade the Yaris for a Dodge Magnum...If he is in a band that is the car to have. Put some 22's on it and he is set!!!!:)

I used to be in a band and how I wish I had my Magnum then. With the back seats down you can camp for the night with two people and plenty of room! I haul computers around like there is no tommorow with that beast!!

strongbower

strongbower

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
blar blar, more people gabbleing on what you dont know anything about. You can be happy making $1-2k a day profit on $1/$2 then work up to $5/$10 when you build and nice roll. Never any need to go bigger than that.

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have helped supported myself playing .05/.10 and .10/.25 ring games and $5-$10 tournaments on bodog. I was making $250-$300 a week sometimes more, but hardly ever less. Where I live that is enough to get by. I dont know anybody under 40 that makes 100k a year that ain't easy around here. I guess it is all based how much you need to make.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
blar blar, more people gabbleing on what you dont know anything about. You can be happy making $1-2k a day profit on $1/$2 then work up to $5/$10 when you build and nice roll. Never any need to go bigger than that.
1-2k a day playing 1/2NL is unsustainable, unless you play a crazy number of tables/hours and even then, it's still far fectched on the long run. Please stop being patronising.

Numbers:
10BB/100 hands = 20$
10 tables = 200$
How many tables play 100+ hands in an hour? Not many, unless you're playing shorthanded.
So let's say you have 150 hands per hour, you'd need to play for 6.6 hours a day at this rythmn.

Unless you're a bot, no, not achievable.

Last edited:
T

tigertight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well mabey 10/20 limit could get you extremely far