Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hi you All ! Thank you for stoping by hope you can help me and or this thread helps you :)

I want to start a SNG challenge and play as many as my work-life schedule allows me so I want to go with a good strategy good plan because I've tried this before but with no success.

First if you know a course/site/tutorials (free or paid) please you can share it here with me I would like to check it out if not keep reading and give me your opinion/advice on the next questions.

How I want to do it? (other terms wouldn't be so fun for me)
1. I would like to go from bottom to the top so I'm going to start with 1$ + SNGs honestly lower than that it makes me lose motivation
2. I want to play only 1 table SNGs 9 handed

The questions (Finally) :)
1. How many buy-ins should I start? 10? 15? ) (Yes Bankroll management)
2. How much should be my ITM % to be profitable at the end of the month
3. How much games should I play per day or week? (Volume)
4. How much hours should I study the strategies and hands?
5. What is the correct aproach and how can I test I'm making the right moves? (ICM can be tricky or very simple)

Well if you reach this line it mean you read all of it! Thank you for that. I hope you have enjoyed. You don't have to give me an answer to all 5 questions if you answer just one you're already helping me and Appreciate it a lot.

Have fun and good luck at the tables!

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Only you can solve your puzzle yourself, find the best solution for yourself, the main thing is experience and never give up, NEVER - remember it and repeat it like a mantra, even if you are not lucky 9 times, then 10 times lucky, the main thing is that you don't make mistakes and always play right, good luck

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, the free CC course "become a winning poker player in 30 days" give a great foundation for playing micro and low stakes SnGs and MTTs. So start by taking that. After that (and with a larger bankroll) I would recommend investing in two pieces of paid software: PokerTracker4 and ICMizer. The tracker is for storing all your hand histories and keep track (hence the name) of results as well as having a HUD on sites, that allow it. ICMizer is for getting better at push-fold spots, which are very important in SnGs. As for your questions:

1) No less that 50 buyins for 9-man SnGs so for 1$ SnGs you should start by depositing 50$ and not move to 2$ SnGs, before you have 100$. If you drop below 100$, back to 1$ games again and so on.
2) Depends on the rake but if 3 out of 9 get paid, then obviously more than 33%.
3) Unless you play at least 10 games per day, this is going to take forever. This however realistically require multitabling, so in the beginning its ok to play less. But as soon as you are consistently beating 1$ SnGs you really need to learn to play at least 2 tables at the same time and eventually also more.
4) I will go against the mainstream here and say, that when you are just starting out, the most important way to improve is practice. But maybe 10-20% of the time, you spend playing.
5) No simple answer to that. Take the course, start playing, and if you find some hands, where you are really unsure, if you made the right decisions, then share them to the forum. And try to avoid hands, that are just bad beats or setups. Yes it sucks, that you flopped top set and ended up losing to a runner-runner flush, or that you got JJ all-in preflop for 20 bigs and ended up losing to AK. But there is probably not anything, you could have done about either of these situations, and your opponents would also have gone broke, so it does not matter.

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi you All ! Thank you for stoping by hope you can help me and or this thread helps you :)

I want to start a SNG challenge and play as many as my work-life schedule allows me so I want to go with a good strategy good plan because I've tried this before but with no success.

First if you know a course/site/tutorials (free or paid) please you can share it here with me I would like to check it out if not keep reading and give me your opinion/advice on the next questions.

How I want to do it? (other terms wouldn't be so fun for me)
1. I would like to go from bottom to the top so I'm going to start with 1$ + SNGs honestly lower than that it makes me lose motivation
2. I want to play only 1 table SNGs 9 handed

5. What is the correct aproach and how can I test I'm making the right moves? (ICM can be tricky or very simple)

Well if you reach this line it mean you read all of it! Thank you for that. I hope you have enjoyed. You don't have to give me an answer to all 5 questions if you answer just one you're already helping me and Appreciate it a lot.

Have fun and good luck at the tables!
Im currently doing a 1000SNGs tournament challenge this month. I will fail but its another story (422 sng so far)
1. Since you want to start at $1 buy-in you need a budget, not a bankroll, if you are not planning to go down. 100buy-in its what most peoples will say but make sure you keep an eye on your bankroll because if you are multitabling a lot, you can be down 20buy-in in less then an hour.
2. Depend a lot where you are playing. On partypoker the competion is tought but you get cashback. never forget about cashback because at some point its gonna be the main income. The best ROI I saw on Partypoker (I sharkscope a lot) is around 8%. On chico I saw few players around 13-15%. But keep in mind with cashback/leaderboard reward the guy with 8% is probably making more money per hour then the guys on chico.
3. Yes you need volume like any poker form. I personally split my session in 3-4 hours. A sng last +/- 40 min so I stop register after 2 1/2 - 3 hours and I try to play 10 sessions per week.
4. This is the point I'm lacking a lot atm. If you are playing a lot, you need at least to revise your hand with ICMizer (https://www.cardschat.com/forum/pok...urnament-preflop-calculator-sng-coach-487609/)
Coupon code for cardchat member in the link.
Like me, you are probably throwing money every day because I dont revise my hands and make simple ajustement,
5. Same has 5.

Traning site :
Free
Youtube. Search for Collin Moshman SNG video and ICMizer. I don't link it because few videos on youtube are from site that don't exist anymore (cardrunners) and I don't think they are really allowed to be on youtube but they are still there.

Read Sit n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman or Secrets of Sit n Go by Phil Shaw.

Best $10 you can spend. for SNG (AND MTT) https://www.tournamentpokeredge.com/ with coupon code : wsop
You get the first month for $10 and you can unsubscribe any time. A lot of video from Collin Moshman available there on SNG and MTT

Last edited:
Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think, the free CC course "become a winning poker player in 30 days" give a great foundation for playing micro and low stakes SnGs and MTTs. So start by taking that. After that (and with a larger bankroll) I would recommend investing in two pieces of paid software: PokerTracker4 and ICMizer. The tracker is for storing all your hand histories and keep track (hence the name) of results as well as having a HUD on sites, that allow it. ICMizer is for getting better at push-fold spots, which are very important in SnGs. As for your questions:

1) No less that 50 buyins for 9-man SnGs so for 1$ SnGs you should start by depositing 50$ and not move to 2$ SnGs, before you have 100$. If you drop below 100$, back to 1$ games again and so on.
2) Depends on the rake but if 3 out of 9 get paid, then obviously more than 33%.
3) Unless you play at least 10 games per day, this is going to take forever. This however realistically require multitabling, so in the beginning its ok to play less. But as soon as you are consistently beating 1$ SnGs you really need to learn to play at least 2 tables at the same time and eventually also more.
4) I will go against the mainstream here and say, that when you are just starting out, the most important way to improve is practice. But maybe 10-20% of the time, you spend playing.
5) No simple answer to that. Take the course, start playing, and if you find some hands, where you are really unsure, if you made the right decisions, then share them to the forum. And try to avoid hands, that are just bad beats or setups. Yes it sucks, that you flopped top set and ended up losing to a runner-runner flush, or that you got JJ all-in preflop for 20 bigs and ended up losing to AK. But there is probably not anything, you could have done about either of these situations, and your opponents would also have gone broke, so it does not matter.

Im currently doing a 1000SNGs tournament challenge this month. I will fail but its another story (422 sng so far)
1. Since you want to start at $1 buy-in you need a budget, not a bankroll, if you are not planning to go down. 100buy-in its what most peoples will say but make sure you keep an eye on your bankroll because if you are multitabling a lot, you can be down 20buy-in in less then an hour.
2. Depend a lot where you are playing. On partypoker the competion is tought but you get cashback. never forget about cashback because at some point its gonna be the main income. The best ROI I saw on Partypoker (I sharkscope a lot) is around 8%. On chico I saw few players around 13-15%. But keep in mind with cashback/leaderboard reward the guy with 8% is probably making more money per hour then the guys on chico.
3. Yes you need volume like any poker form. I personally split my session in 3-4 hours. A sng last +/- 40 min so I stop register after 2 1/2 - 3 hours and I try to play 10 sessions per week.
4. This is the point I'm lacking a lot atm. If you are playing a lot, you need at least to revise your hand with ICMizer (https://www.cardschat.com/forum/pok...urnament-preflop-calculator-sng-coach-487609/)
Coupon code for cardchat member in the link.
Like me, you are probably throwing money every day because I dont revise my hands and make simple ajustement,
5. Same has 5.

Traning site :
Free
Youtube. Search for Collin Moshman SNG video and ICMizer. I don't link it because few videos on youtube are from site that don't exist anymore (cardrunners) and I don't think they are really allowed to be on youtube but they are still there.

Read Sit n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman or Secrets of Sit n Go by Phil Shaw.

Best $10 you can spend. for SNG (AND MTT) https://www.tournamentpokeredge.com/ with coupon code : WSOP
You get the first month for $10 and you can unsubscribe any time. A lot of video from Collin Moshman available there on SNG and MTT

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, I will be reading those recommendations starting today, I will try to play at least 5-6 games per day and then duplicate this number by playing two tables at the same time.

Sadly party poker it's not available on my country anymore, so my options right now are BOL (BetOnline), PokeStars, ACR or GGpoker. I will try to enter again on CC freerolls to build extra bankroll and practice MTT strategy, Right now My bankroll is 16$ on ACR hehe I'll try to make a deposit to GGpoker I've never played there, and I'm curious about it.

Maybe I'll start a new thread with the challenge

J

jday00m

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do some heads up practice with Slumbot. Thats what really gave me confidence in my game.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Excellent answers by fundiver and Arnakk. I just can subscribe to this. I started my SNG journey at 888, if you can play there, I just can recommend this, as they have a soft player field there, but the only problem is the traffic there, that could be more. And when you decide to play 6-max turbos, they offer them only for buy-ins up to $5 at least in my country. Around 2 years ago this was still different. Therefore, I switched meanwhile nearly completely to pokerstars.
And actually, I think Pokerstars has less rake than Partypoker in the SNGs. The biggest advantage at PokerStars you have the most traffic to be able to play enough games simultaneously.

Good luck with your games! :)

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello I'm happy to help !
If you want to make a deposit on GG poker you can get a nice bonus in ticket. Unfortunately its AoF ticket but its free.
Also this month you can get double points in 6 max Spin and Gold. To be honest I don't know if its worth it but its may be good to practice your push/fold strategy. I will probably play them a lot this month.
- Pokerstars I would save for later if you have not deposit yet to grind the bonus with a decent bankroll.
- BetOnline its a really good option and maybe the best option if you want/can start to grind the $1.50 Fast SNGs
1. The room is extremely fishy (and really is)
2. They don't offer SNGs at lower buy-in then $1.50 so its the lowest cost for extreme casual player.
3. I guess a large % of players do not have hud at this buy-in because you need to pay a hand catcher
The downside, no loyalty program at all and the 100% deposit bonus is a joke
- ACR why not I think the rake is lower and you get 27% rakeback

Youtube playlist

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hello I'm happy to help !
If you want to make a deposit on GG poker you can get a nice bonus in ticket. Unfortunately its AoF ticket but its free.
Also this month you can get double points in 6 max Spin and Gold. To be honest I don't know if its worth it but its may be good to practice your push/fold strategy. I will probably play them a lot this month.
- Pokerstars I would save for later if you have not deposit yet to grind the bonus with a decent bankroll.
- BetOnline its a really good option and maybe the best option if you want/can start to grind the $1.50 Fast SNGs
1. The room is extremely fishy (and really is)
2. They don't offer SNGs at lower buy-in then $1.50 so its the lowest cost for extreme casual player.
3. I guess a large % of players do not have hud at this buy-in because you need to pay a hand catcher
The downside, no loyalty program at all and the 100% deposit bonus is a joke
- ACR why not I think the rake is lower and you get 27% rakeback

Youtube playlist
Thank you once again I think I will start on BetOnline I got a comeback ticket. Played on an MTT and got very good luck getting 2nd place for $28 so I think I will use it to start the challenge this week, I will prepare to make a new thread with the challenge and make weekly updates.

Once again thank you all for your response

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips

Well for the first question, you have to have at least 100 BI, cause you wanna make volume and be confortable if you face a downswing and loosing 10-15 BI in a row.
Secondly I think you have to consider the ROI not the ITM%, the first place pays more than the 2nd, and the 2nd place is more than the 3rd. So the ROI tells you how much you gain when spending an X amount of $. if you have an ROI of 20-30% this is great, cause everytime you spend 100$ you have 20-30$ of profit.
For the volume IMO it's more than 20 games / day, if you play 5 days a week it's around 100 sng / week and around 400/month.
You should study the strategy enough to get an understanding of the sng dynamics, however just start playing a normal ABC poker, don't bluff, select your hands based upon the charts out there and make adjustment over the time.
For backtesting, after every session do a review of hands that you have won or lost and see if it was the correct play based on ICM. You'll get familar with certain spots and it will make your decision easy the next time you are in the same situation.
Good luck with your challenge and keep us updated about your progress.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Well for the first question, you have to have at least 100 BI, cause you wanna make volume and be confortable if you face a downswing and loosing 10-15 BI in a row.
Secondly I think you have to consider the ROI not the ITM%, the first place pays more than the 2nd, and the 2nd place is more than the 3rd. So the ROI tells you how much you gain when spending an X amount of $. if you have an ROI of 20-30% this is great, cause everytime you spend 100$ you have 20-30$ of profit.
For the volume IMO it's more than 20 games / day, if you play 5 days a week it's around 100 sng / week and around 400/month.
You should study the strategy enough to get an understanding of the sng dynamics, however just start playing a normal ABC poker, don't bluff, select your hands based upon the charts out there and make adjustment over the time.
For backtesting, after every session do a review of hands that you have won or lost and see if it was the correct play based on ICM. You'll get familar with certain spots and it will make your decision easy the next time you are in the same situation.
Good luck with your challenge and keep us updated about your progress.
Thank you, valuable advice and information, will take that into account to start my challenge