Showing hands?

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all! How often do you show your winning hands/bluffs? Is there an advantage in doing so? I'm talking about tournament and cash game poker.

Interested in hearing your thoughts!
pretty often in tournaments i show all winning hands even bluffs or no calls but in cash games i dont. something about tournament play i pick up way more pots when showing hands cause when u do have it they push all in on ya its crazy well good luck to you!

R

recoveryagent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when i want to show i'm not bluffing i do.Not always though i'd say i'm 99 percent a no show

I

icandonkyou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not normally show hands. However, I have shown some bluffs before if I feel that it will put my opponent on tilt, thus making him/her give me extra chips.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But you cannot muck on pokerstars! If it goes to showdown you can see both hands. In a normal game if you call the other person has to show but you do not unless you have won the hand. And because you cannot fold if you make an initial bluff you may want to fold to conceal you hand but may end having to check it down.

bijan777

bijan777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never show your hand
Just taht time you want give the opponent rong information

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't show my hand it is an easy way of giving info. to anyone. GL at the tables!

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on your opponent .. there are opponents that affect them .. and begin to open their range .. or is a person who does not control their emotions .. what is true is that any human being can be affected by a bluff shown .. a 72os when they make a fold with AK or something like that can be painful .. psicologically you must have a great mental strength so that it does not affect you so much .. In my opinion i think that against me you do not want to show me letters .. because you would give some information .. i think that this movement is only suitable for real jaws.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is very rare that I show my hands. When I do it, it is to deceive others on my style of play or to facilitate my next bluff.

if you do not have a good reason to do it or have a good strategy behind it, it is generally recommended that you never show your cards.

This is the best way to avoid making mistakes and revealing information that good players can use to their advantage.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all! How often do you show your winning hands/bluffs? Is there an advantage in doing so? I'm talking about tournament and cash game poker.

Interested in hearing your thoughts!

I rarely show my hands.

Leave them guessing.

If I do show it is always a bluff just to try and get the opponent to make a mistake later.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never show my hands this is valuable information that you give to the adversary

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be very smart and cautious and know your opponents very well to show your cards. Usually there is a much greater advantage to not showing your hands. If you know what you're doing, however, you can create an image with the hands you choose to show that could potentially increase your chances of winning. That's why it's highly recommended to never show your hands but in the right situations it's very beneficial.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A common hand show I am now seeing us when someone shoves the big blind in late position and they fold to show a trash hand. It looks like a play to show I am folding just because I a am holding absolute trash and if I had better I would call to get the shover to back off. Not sure if this actually works, I prefer to just wait and call and hope win a monster.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I occasionally see people show one or two strong cards before folding them, just to show they're capable of folding good hands or weren't bluffing.
Personally I never show, I'd rather give no free information than attempt to misinform my opponents.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally I don't show my hand except when I had to. There are times when players use it to show that they will bet/raise on any hand, in the hopes of getting you to call when they have a real hand. From their perspective that may hold value. However it tends to insult the other players, and could display tendencies that some players could combine with a physical tell. If a player played a good hand, and is a good person, as best I can tell, I might show cards to let him know he was beat. The problem with that, of course, is by the rules you would have to show all the players, which will certainly work against you at some point.

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't show except a monster straight flush or Quads. So that means that I don't show much do I? LOL.

Last edited:
Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to do this sometimes only in tournaments to play with the mind of my opponents hehehe to show them I only play strong hands of course I show my strong hands and also kind of do this sometimes when you have a total bluff looking for a call in the future with a really good strong hands but only do this in MTTs on Cash games I never do this

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not see any advantage in showing, in some cases can even help the opponent indicating their movements.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never unless I purposely want to tilt them because I made everyone fold with a bad hand, in order to get big calls in the near future when I have good hands. That is a very specific situation and usually giving out the info for free of what you had in a hand is like, well, giving away money. I usually get enough action at microstakes that I don't need any more, so I don't show. I know that showing can work because I have gotten tilted and then called an all-in and lost thinking villain was bluffing again. But I'm a new player, I can't say that it works that well for every game.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Want see what I have? Pay me! (Or No) And caution when showing the bluff, many end up getting "much involved" in this "strategy" Turning into something "personal"

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I occasionally see people show one or two strong cards before folding them, just to show they're capable of folding good hands or weren't bluffing.
Personally I never show, I'd rather give no free information than attempt to misinform my opponents.

I found this strategy particular dangerous and possibly the worst kind of show as you are indicating that you can be pushed/bluffed out of strong hands. A better use although I would not do it is loose players flashing strong hands when they get another player to fold. Obviously most of their hands are trash if they are playing every other hand but they flash some to try and show they are playing strong hands. However this is so obvious when it is done I do not see the point.

johnbartel12

johnbartel12

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
show??

i like to show my hands a few times in the begging of tournys especially winning hands then tighten up after a few times and not show anyone then i can losen the game and play wider variety of hands

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hardly ever show and if I did it would be to get tight player to open up and play outside their comfort zone

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands