Showing hands?

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't show hands- poker is about gaining as much information as possible so don't make it easier for your opponents .

W

wrapper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Certain situations, I might, rarely, show my hand. Early in a tournament, for example, when I want to establish a tight image, I'll show the nuts. One instance when I would never show my hand is when I make a big turn or river bet, and the other player tanks and folds. I want them to continue to question, "Did I make the right decision there?" I'm not going to confirm that, yes, it was a good fold, or no, you made a mistake that you have to fix. Let them wonder!

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I depend on the hand when they make me run from a very obvious hand sometimes I teach it is a way of misleading although many see it as a weakness I see it as a strategy:thefinger

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should always muck - unless you want to show a bluff for tilt factor.

Otherwise you are showing them your starting hand range. And, how you are playing preflop and postflop with that hand.

Good luck !

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely show my hands, no need to give opponents free information, although some site such as pokerstars let you see the hand if it goes to showdown. Some players like to flash their bluffs to tilt you, not very sportsman and just makes me put in more effort to knock them out!

C

ccmonrivah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i used to show my hand all the time,lol im honest person,felt bad,but now not to often,but feel bad,im also learning how to be a tad more aggressive,that will take time lol:eek:

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I never show my hands , unless I want to use my cards ( by showing them ) on my opponent to start making things personaly and to forget about playing poker , in this situation yes but this is rare . Best never show your hand

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why on earth would you possibly want to show your cards to your opponents. Why give them useful informstion for free, If they have mucked it's their bad luck and so should you. Equally if you have bluffed a player out of a pot, showing your cards is rubbing his nose in it and a bit demeaning for him.
Treat other players as you would like them to treat you.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As with anything poker related online, there are exceptions, but, showing hands is one of the most consistently reliable indicators of bad or inexperienced players I have yet to find.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lol at all of you....

Of cos I show SOME off my hands. It help solidify the image I'm trying to portray to the table. I show my large pocket when I shove and the table folds....why? because the next time I shove you know Ive got the big pocket pair,AK perhaps even AQ. Im not going to show you my K2o when you have AJ and have raised me and I fire with a massive raise for 3/4 of your stack ... lol bet you fold in that scenario.

Selectively showing hands helps mess with my opponents minds. (INSERT EVIL LAUGH HERE)

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free information is not the way to play. Sometimes this could put someone on tilt but there's other players at the table who can use that info. Don't show unless your have too

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As Rigor stated flashing bluffs is rubbing your nose it, I find it very unsportsmanlike if we call it a sport lol. But when you lose a big hand to someone making a complete bluff with 75 with nothing you have to try hard not to tilt. Still think its a stupid show as other players are then more likely to call the bluffer.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once read a book that explained how you can show your cards sometimes to manage your table image. I don't agree with that at all. Any hands shown are information you are giving your oponents for free. If you understand how the other players are perceiving you at the table, you can use that insight to your advantage without trying to deliberately manage your image.

Of course, if you are holding the Royal flush just go ahead and show everyone, that's a very rare occasion that you will want to brag about.

P

PeedroZack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes but it depends of your opponents, cause bad player won´t pay attention for this or just don´t believe that your hand are better and won´t fold hands like any aces and low pocket pairs

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker game information, so give your opponents extra information about your game is not worth it. In rare cases, it may make sense to get the opponent out of himself and take advantage of his further mistakes. But for the sake of his ego and self-esteem to do this is not worth it.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I seldom show my hands, because by doing so, other players may get the chance to make a read on you on the succeeding hands.
I only show my hands when i want the other players go on tilt..... hehehe

donny306

donny306

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i show my cards only when its time for the show down even if i got ace high !
i was at a table with my brother and he played tell the show down and he mucked his ace high and the other guy had a ace high as well , but my brother thought he was beat because he was first to act and he mucked his hand in a pot over 250.
he gave me that look of disappointment when he saw what the other guy turned over. i was ''Bro''

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So how do you feel that you can see hole cards on Pokerstars? Obviously only if it goes to showdown but the mucked persons cards are normally seen in the hand history.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't show my hand.
If others do, it is rarely usefull for them.
The effects I can think of:
+ tilt your opponent
+ create a wrong image of yourself
- you give information
- get focus on yourself
The first two are difficult, while the last two are nearly always very usefull for your opponents.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show my hands because of one simple reason, i use other
players interaction ingame to make notes of their playstyle.
Showing bluff hands when they fold
Showing value hands when they fold
Showing good hands in bb when all fold
Talking trash in chat
General talk in chat
All is a little part of a story bout their emotions and how they play, of course
combined with other things.

Thats why i never show my hands ;)

I like your comments; good points of view.
In a game based on limited information, I think you give a lot of perspective!

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't show my hand.
If others do, it is rarely usefull for them.
The effects I can think of:
+ tilt your opponent
+ create a wrong image of yourself
- you give information
- get focus on yourself
The first two are difficult, while the last two are nearly always very usefull for your opponents.

Your thoughts disclose a intellectual way to think about the game. There are exceptions to the general rule as your thoughts give acknowledgement to, but I think you give a good analysis. Every one is not a poker God, so someone should have a objective means to evaluate themselves before they endorse a policy of cuteness. The lower the stakes, the lesser the consequences as a general measure. This supports the idea that showing your hand, on average, is a less advantageous move.

Last edited:
J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's ridiculous.Why will you show cards?Except maybe if you find someone annoying and you want to play mental games with him.Or if you want to show to to others that you having a reason to raise which is pretty silly to.You are what you are no matter if you winning or loosing.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always have auto muck on - I might as well preserve an advantage in not giving my opponents more information than necessary.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can always show your bluffs at the final table, but quit bluffing right after! your opponents might start tilting because of your bluff. they might make a note on you that you're a bluffer...
remember how you played that bluffing hand and play the same style with a monster hand.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands