Should You Ever Limp With Pockets

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I have done as of recent is try to balance my ranges more, min raising with QQ+ on the btn and even just checking on the bb or even just flatting on open raising while holding these hands cuz at the end of the day they are just one pair which is the second worse hand after high card. How ever taking into consideration the table and the diff reads I would pick up on the players at the table I would adjust my action to suit.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What I have done as of recent is try to balance my ranges more, min raising with QQ+ on the btn and even just checking on the bb or even just flatting on open raising while holding these hands cuz at the end of the day they are just one pair which is the second worse hand after high card. How ever taking into consideration the table and the diff reads I would pick up on the players at the table I would adjust my action to suit.

I suppose the BTN limp with QQ+ is okay, don't really like the checking QQ+ in the BB, I think sometimes we should be defending with a raise here. Don't like the flat against an OR with QQ+ let's 3bet for value here.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think this is driven by stack depth, for example at 1000 bbs deep you would not want to limp your aces, but @ 5bbs effective limping AA could be the most optimal way to win the most money.

Teodora Agardi

Teodora Agardi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always raise with 9-9 or higher pocket pair.

P

pietpikel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was in a home game and had an argument with two of the guys playing. I had pkt aces and i end up having them crack after i raised 5x the bb and forced another player all-in with AQ and he hit trips on the board. They proceeded to tell me you should limp with those hands sometimes but i disagree, my reason for raising with those types of hands is to get my opponents who are holding marginal hands to fold so i would be 5 handed with my aces and get them crack by a low two pair or a 7 high straight or something ridiculous.
What do you guys think?, should u ever limp with pockets (pocket queens and up)
How to play big pockets really depends on the state of the game.

UTG , with pocket AA do I really want to be raising in a wild game ? You are pretty sure that at least 1 person is going to throw in a raise, and you can come over the top with AA, KK. Two big advantages here;

1) You pick up the dead money.
2) Sometimes this looks like a move, and you land up getting a caller or two.

Are you deep or short stacked ? If you are deep stacked (and the callers too), the game really changes into an implied odds game. Players will call you with a marginal hand, hoping to hit the flop hard, or find a big draw. They know that 2 pair is probably gold, or a pair and a flush draw etc etc. They are then hoping to empty you, as you over commit with your top pair.

In a deep stacked game you have to raise with a range of hands, and keep your raises pretty constant. You don't want to raise to much with a big pocket pair, because you are probably telling observant players what you have. But if you raise similar for 66 all the way to AA and AK and AQ/AJ suited and maybe suited connectors in late position, it disguises your range. This enables you to be paid off when you hit it big !

I don't think limping with a big pocket pair is a crime. If you do it, and you don't get a chance to make a preflop reraise, then don't fall in love with it. You get big action after the flop, then let it go. If you can try and see the river as cheap as possible. If you can't , bail out !

Last edited:
Marcos mats

Marcos mats

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a way to defend strong hands, when we enter with strong or very strong limp hands we take more risks and weak hands (litter) can get very strong pos.

😎👊

We haven that increases and avoids as many preflop veils as possible.

C

C3H6S

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont limp QQ KK AA, its ridiculous...with 4-5 players? dont limp...because this players plays with marginal cards and get in post flop ultra hand ...raise your hand ever

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never limp with aces thats pure insanity any drawing hand can outdraw you.
I dont limp ANY cards, I always bet. It suits me better

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes if the pot size is correct, depending on the value