Should we never say 'never' to a gutshot?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Drawing to a inside straight is a mistake many time but yes there are times to go for it. This article really tells the story of why you should if the time is right to do it. It may not be ofton but I have done this as well.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Defo going to read that. Good to try and look at some of these finer points and gutshots are not particularly infrequent.

Pre-reading though I would think going for a gutshot is better when the gutshot it is at the high end of the straight but would have thought the key thing is implied odds.

Ideally not against a very aggressive player as they will make price too high but if not too costly may be worth the shot.

Thanks for the article!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on bet size and implied odds.
Also it is preferable if there are no flush draws on the board.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In a live tourney, if a person has a tenth of the chips compared to me and I have a chance to take out a person to be in the money or knock out the person on the bubble, I will take the chance of going in on the gutshot straight.

If I am online and a person has 10 times the chips I do and they have a chance to take me out of the money, oh yes. They will get their inside straight. online poker is just that way.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To consider it I would have to have position so I've got more than one way to win. By just having to make the straight to win that makes me nervous and I would love to fold and live to fold again.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exploitative players allow us to exploit spots like gut shot draws in NL as we can get max value when we hit- it also contributes to our incorrect image of weakness that we want to cultivate --

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I enjoyed the article, despite not being a fan of gutshots, but as said, it depends on a multitude of factors such as stack size, SPR, implied probabilities, etc.

Here in brazil, we usually say:
'Broca boa é broca cara'

tranlation -> 'Good drill is expensive drill'
It means -> 'that to see your gutshot you will have to pay dearly'