Shortstack in $5.5 MTT

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion hand 1 was an okay call, many hands could re-push and A9 is a great hand to make a gamble-move here, also you covered him but still both of you were kinda shortie so its a call. I could suggest here with a bigger raise 2.25-2.5 maybe to not to face up with pre-all-ins many time.
I think you put hand 2 here cause you saw what you missed. Hand 3 a very great fold, UTG 3bb bet is screaming for a spectacular hand.
I would definitely call the 4th hand. We are really short and picked up a wannabe hand with a perfect spot to have 1v1. We don't have now anything to defend only and only this perfect situation's position and great hand. You could call here with so many suited hands: almost all of them, every pocket, every Ax etc. Your calling is pretty huge from this position, but BB has way limited one, its not rare to see a fold from him.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1
A9o is a call, when you opened from BTN. Seeing that he rejammed something as bad as K5o makes it even more of a call.

Hand 2 and 3
Standard folds, since you are not yet involved in the action and facing early position jams.

Hand 4
This is close, but I lean towards a call, because you are very short now, and you can take advantage of the fact, MP1 has given you fold equity against BB, which you would not have on your own. This time BB woke up with a monster, but most of the time he will fold facing two jams ahead of him, and then you are paying 1.741 to win a pot of 5.281.

So its one of those spots, where we call, not because we think, we are ahead, but because we are getting great pot odds. We can basically ignore ICM here and run a pure chip EV calculation in a program like Equilab. If MP1 is jamming any pair, any suited ace, any suited broadway, A9+ and KJ+, then you have 37,3% equity, and you only need 33% to break even. This is enough edge to make up for the times, where BB actually call, as he did here.

And even if the call was slightly negative EV, I would probably still make it, because there is just not a lot of upside in hanging around in an MTT with less than 3 bigs. Winning this hand will give you back some fold equity, where maybe you can pick up a few rounds of blinds and antes uncontested, and now suddenly you are back in the game. So in a sense it can be argued, that chips won when this short are actually worth more and not less than the ones, you had already.