short stacked at the end of a tourney with low pp

C

cracksniper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last night played in tourney and had around 10x the bb which was 1-2000 now there is 30 players left i.e. 3 tables I'm under the gun and get dealt pp3, in nearly the exact same spot 2 months ago and I went AI got a caller and he showed pp8 and took me out. I asked about this to an experienced player and he said he would have folded because ' there is a long way to go round the table' holding only a small pp. Well last night I folded them but went out soon enough later I just went card dead and had trouble nursing the short stack. I don't know but would you lot shove with a small pp with 10bb or less? I did read somewhere that the odds of someone having a higher pp is about 3% per pair so that should make it 33% chance however I'm not sure if they meant heads up or not in that one. Again hopefully I've explained this one well.

As for the last ? on playing a set on a board showing all same suit cards thanks for all the answers, and I am never folding a set again I've had trouble living with myself and would rather go out than fold a set. Thanks guys...the sniper

E

edgie212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to look at it this way: With 30 players left you have some work to do. Right now your stack has enough fold equity to survive. An EP shove, despite your stack, looks strong to most. If you've got a big stack in the blinds, it's +EV for them to just flat call you. So, in this situation, take a look at the blind stack sizes, and your loose players...if the blinds have medium stacks, I'd shove here. Likewise, if everyone's stacks are similar, I'd shove. If one of the big stacks has been tight, I'd shove. However, if the big stack has been playing 35% or more of his starting hands, I'd wait.

SNG's are basically long $2 wagers where preserving AND utilizing your stack is vital. I advocate generally shoving somewhere in this orbit...you might have better luck in two or three hands with K6 or something else you might not think of. >10BB shoves are more about the opponent and less about the cards you are holding.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally it's a shove.
But as Edgie said it can depend on a lot of factors and the other players at the table.

If you are near the money bubble, a lot people maybe playing very tight so a shove can get you some needed chips.
If you have enough to at least see a flop, it can be advisable to limp in or make a small raise
as this can sometimes look stronger and less like a desperation move.

:cool: