Set against Set

scottychase

scottychase

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please respond with input on playing a set. Last night I went all in with a set of fives and got crushed with a set of tens in a micro tourney with a buy in of five dollars. The board was not paired up we both had pocket pairs. So it was very difficult for me to put him on a set of tens.

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
move on reg to another one. part of the game we signed up for

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the sake of brevity, I would advise you to look up the cons of playing small pairs especially from early position for further advice to avoid certain situations in the future. But once you hit a set on a dry board then most people are prepared to play a big pot regardless and that's that. All you can do is slam the phone down and kick the booth in frustration like DeNiro did to that telephone booth if things don't go according to plan.

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please respond with input on playing a set. Last night I went all in with a set of fives and got crushed with a set of tens in a micro tourney with a buy in of five dollars. The board was not paired up we both had pocket pairs. So it was very difficult for me to put him on a set of tens.

One of the bigger mistakes I made when first starting to play online was over valuing small number sets. First of all pocket 5's post flop with air is not going to run well over time. A good general rule of thumb that I follow is if I can't see the flop for almost free then I am not going to look at it with small pairs.

Also this isn't even what I would call a bad suckout. A bad suckout is a river card that gives you the second nuts but gives your opponent the actual nuts when you both raised way too much into the pot before getting there now you're forced to go all in to realize any form of equity and hope the other guy missed his hand.

M

Master_nolios

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Without cards layout its hard. But most time a set with no flushor straight possibilities is going to felt someone. Two sets is a garentee since neither can fold.

You will never see a fold on a dry board. Even pros can get away. Makes you feel better its happens way more than it should online. Good luck

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
set to set is almost always a cooler, well, I would like to see the distribution then it would be possible to say more precisely

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to abstract from such distributions and look at them as an experience gained.

pokerace_1

pokerace_1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Happened to me last friday. I flopped top set, guy flopped bottom set. Guy with the overpaid turned top set. Guy with bottom set rivered quads and we all fall up. Stacks goin on river. 18k pot

blef121

blef121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, a set is a good combination if there is no risk of a flush and a straight, this risk can be understood from the cards, but in your situation it’s just worthy to lose because very very rare people will fold a set and very rarely if at all fold, otherwise it all depends on the tournament if for example there is left 100 people and you are already in the money it is better not to risk with small pairs, if you have doubts that he can have a set older than yours, do not go all in, I think that's all I can advise

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as they have mentioned it is very difficult to be able to escape from situations like this , set vs set on the flop it is almost impossible to escape and in a certain painful way the situation , maybe on a flop with all the same color you think about folding but otherwise not:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens quite a lot actually. And it's ok to lose in this situation.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Set over set. Aaaaaahh, the worst of the cooler scenarios. Yeah man, it's really just a terrible part of poker. There's not a lot you can do about it other than folding pre-flop.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For amateur players, folding a set is near on impossible on the flop. And quite frankly, you never should, especially against loose, aggressive players.

Conditions where I would fold a set.

1. You are against a tight/passive opponent who is giving you big action
2. The community cards allow for a lot of other nut hands (straights, flushes etc.)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There is little point in offering 'sage' advice on this as 90% of the time it will result in a beat.

If the board is wet and one can anticipate a straight or flush then any player with experience will know they could be beat. On a dry board, holding pocket sixes with a six on the flop for instance and facing a strong raise, the presumption is nearly always top pair or two pair. You do not fold and nor should you.

Over the long term playing a set is a winning strategy which can from time to time spectacularly back fire. But it remains a winning strategy.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
odds of set over set is 1%. There’s not much you can do in this spot, you just have to take the beat. If the board looks safe, you gotta assume you have the best hand. It does happen, but it’s very rare.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, set over set on a dry board (no flush or straight possible yet) is just a cooler, and everyone loses a big pot in that situation. But it is a common mistake for people to overvalue small pairs and play them to often, especially from early or mid position. If you play 22, you are always going to be on the bad end, when set over set happen, but if you play 77, you are at least sometimes going to be on the good end as well.

Setmining is often not as profitable, as people think, and one of the reasons for that is actually, that if the pot gets really big, assuming deep stacks like in a cash game or early in a tournament, then a small set is often not the best hand. So while everyone loves to talk about the fantastic implied odds they get from calling with 22, the truth is, that there is a fair amount of reverse implied odds as well.

And there are also situations, where we should not fold a small set, but we cant raise and play for stacks either. Lets say a tight opponent open UTG in a 9-handed game, and we are 100BB deep. We call on BTN with 33 and flop comes KT3 rainbow. If we start raising here and jam the river, what is a tight player calling us down with, that we beat? He dont open KT from UTG, or at most KTs, which is only 2 combos. He is probably also not stacking off AA or AK as just a single pair. So the answer is, if we fire really hard at this, we might only get called down, when he has exactly KK or TT. And therefore our best play is actually to just call him down to keep those one pair hands in his range, that we beat.

B

bj999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep that sucks

Yesser Bob sets on sets suck. Hit a few this week. Nothing is going to save you when it comes. Just think today your the bug and next time your the windshield. Good luck

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It was a cooler.

Happens in poker, it' part of the game. Very difficult to fold a set.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set over set is just a tough spot. Very hard to see. Unless the board is very draw heavy, you are not likely to get away from the hand.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situation.
When you are a set, feel that the enemy is also a set.

scottychase

scottychase

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesser Bob sets on sets suck. Hit a few this week. Nothing is going to save you when it comes. Just think today your the bug and next time your the windshield. Good luck
Lmao I really like this comment!

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean it happens right? really nothing you can do but call your trips
for all you know on a dry board he has AA KK QQ, Ax one pair or 2 pairs, you win some you lose some in those sports shrug it off and move on to the next game

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Play thousands of games and you'll learn to fold a weak full house against a good read on someone you can tell must have a better hand. I lost with a set of 8's vs 10's not five minutes ago but I didn't lose my bankroll because I knew how many hands could beat me. To collect on good hands mandates that you know their worth vs who you are against. If you can't get a read then you need to play the odds.:cool: