Risk Aversion

Q

Quads2017

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds to me like you are a good player with good results and a good approach.

BUT do you also enjoy it?

If I look at your THREADS you seem to be overly concerned with the pitt falls of poker rather than the fun parts like making a bluff work every once and a while.

"Latest Threads

Risk Aversion
The Elusive Royal Flush
Preflop betting a lottery?
Number at the table
Fastest bust out
Most annoying flush river
Longest run of bad luck?
Most annoying folded flops
Lower stakes for more fish"

M

mojorising

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I have summoned my courage and played 1 bluf yesterday and 1 bluff today.

It does go against my instincts but I have to remind myself that there is rational benefit in bluffing from a purely retruns perspectove.

And there is bonus benefit in that even getting caught is useful for picking up callers on later value bets.

I won both my bluffs (nothing major just 6 + 12 BBs). Everyone folded when raised on garbage.

In both cases I waited for a pair to come up on the turn/river.

I think it is a good bluff since the odds of anyone else having one of the 2 remaining outs are low plus trips is not the nuts so a medium range bluff bet is believable.

M

mojorising

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds to me like you are a good player with good results and a good approach.

BUT do you also enjoy it?

I enjoy it very much. Not for gambling (I am not really a gambler by nature) but for the mental exercise of calculating the outs/percentages/drawing odds/pot odds/opponent range possibilities/opponent range probabilities

Most of the fun is on the flop. Pre-flop betting to me feels like a lottery although I can make myself to go all in on a rare AA if an opponent forces me to.

Gulas

Gulas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm also a risk averse player, and lost a lot in zoom games.

I don't know, perhaps I did something wrong, wasn't patient enough to wait for the monster hands, and when it did, I scared people away, or lost.

Knowing your oponent is important, even when playing tight, I guess.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most poker players lose money, so I'll call you a good player for your stakes. You seem to know that you could be a better player.

And what are those stakes, genius? He never mentioned what kind of stakes he's playing.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And what are those stakes, genius? He never mentioned what kind of stakes he's playing.

:confused:

Why so hostile? Did I win your last dollar at some point?

I've never claimed to be a genius, and I never claimed to know what stakes he is playing.

My remark implies that the stakes he is playing are not high, since the higher you go, the more you need to use every available weapon, just to be profitable.

It's also more important to balance your ranges as you move up in stakes. Player pools are smaller and players are more observant. If you only bet when the odds are in your favor, players learn to never pay you off.

But being a consistent winner at any stakes is a genuine achievement.