The reasons for open limping in Holdem

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
Sometimes I am really surprised to face too many preflop openlimpers even on substantial limits and late stages.:hmmmm2:
What do yo think a key factor for openlimp in Holdem?

CowboyStomp

CowboyStomp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Family pots are the curse of micro stakes. The only reason I would limp would be to trap a maniac to my left

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
I think this is because of seeing the flop cheaply and the chance of a good shot, which is often the case in the early stages of tournaments where the blinds are still small. However, I am not a supporter of such a game.

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
Sometimes I am really surprised to face too many preflop openlimpers even on substantial limits and late stages.:hmmmm2:

It's all the fault of the micro-stakes, and not the experience of the players in these stakes.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Family pots are the curse of micro stakes. The only reason I would limp would be to trap a maniac to my left

Thanks for comment. A nice limp in your case, I think. I would rather add possible Button/HJ preflop limping in some cases.
But UTG-MP at full non moniac table? Late stage with 3-5 BBs or 50+ BBs? 55$ MTT?
Anyway its not bad:). Good luck.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is because of seeing the flop cheaply and the chance of a good shot, which is often the case in the early stages of tournaments where the blinds are still small. However, I am not a supporter of such a game.

So, the idea of what you said, without offending anyone, relying mainly on luck. Ok.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally i also do not see reason to limp but at the micro stakes it is quite common thing.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tourney when blinds are small, I think a limp in early position with a small pair is a good move. You then hope to have lots of limpers behind you and hit your set on the flop.

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m not a big enthusiast of limp but it could be a strategy depending on your cards and opps.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do it a lot and seams to work! It tells me a lot about the players! You figure out the rest!

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only limping with hands like small pairs and suited connector can give you great odds against multiple players because if you hit a set, straight or flush in most scenarios you can win a big stack without risking almost any of your stack preflop

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open limping leads to more players joining the pot. The more players in the pot the likelihood of winning gets lower. I am not a fan of limping. Giving the blinds free or cheap flops / cards can be disastrous. Less bad beats happening if you make the players pay to see a flop.

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give limp I always find a terrible idea, however, I have noticed in micro stakes tournaments that some people are entering limp with AA, KK and QQ. This is very atypical, because you leave the opponent at certain times, beat your hand with marginal cards. And for those who just want to see flop, you sure are playing if wrong way, and in the long run you will always be a loser.
Hello.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a tourney when blinds are small, I think a limp in early position with a small pair is a good move. You then hope to have lots of limpers behind you and hit your set on the flop.

Thank you for the post. I should think (and calculate) about early moves like this.
Good luck.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give limp I always find a terrible idea, however, I have noticed in micro stakes tournaments that some people are entering limp with AA, KK and QQ. This is very atypical, because you leave the opponent at certain times, beat your hand with marginal cards. And for those who just want to see flop, you sure are playing if wrong way, and in the long run you will always be a loser.

Сompletely agree.
But, AA slowplay scenes from movies are impressive, without a doubt.:icon_salu

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can only answer for myself. I do limp when my stack isn't big enough. The limp- call action allows you to control the pot when aggressive players are sitting after you. Imagine that you have good cards and you make 3 bets. Aggressive players raise even higher after you with any cards. So the pot on the preflop becomes too big for you. Sometimes I do a limp from the UTG position with AA. The opponents raise, and I put all in, trapping them on the preflop.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only answer for myself. I do limp when my stack isn't big enough. The limp- call action allows you to control the pot when aggressive players are sitting after you. Imagine that you have good cards and you make 3 bets. Aggressive players raise even higher after you with any cards. So the pot on the preflop becomes too big for you. Sometimes I do a limp from the UTG position with AA. The opponents raise, and I put all in, trapping them on the preflop.

Nice comment as for me. Thank you. I have faced as discribed preflop AA limp many times, it seems interesting (fortunately, I mostly make a weighted fold). Good luck.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would only be limping if I had low pocket pairs and I hoped to hit a set.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To get lucky at the flop.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are lots of viable limp strategies in hold em - but they are all circumstantial. Weak players tend to open limp and over limp -- such is part of the game, ISO the limpers and crush them post. Even some of the highest level players with mid game limp strategies arent limping very much - its just a bad play in general. The lower the stakes, the more we should avoid open limping. We can make more $$ by PFRs and ISO raising our villans.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are lots of viable limp strategies in hold em - but they are all circumstantial. Weak players tend to open limp and over limp -- such is part of the game, ISO the limpers and crush them post. Even some of the highest level players with mid game limp strategies arent limping very much - its just a bad play in general. The lower the stakes, the more we should avoid open limping. We can make more $$ by PFRs and ISO raising our villans.

Thank you for posting. Seems I need to learn more about " mid game limp strategies". GL.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules