Reasons to bet

I

ionrosu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
Hello guys! I'm struggling to understand the reasons to bet. I saw some youtube videos, where they talk about betting for value, protection or as a bluff, but I can't understand it. Can someone provide me a more detailed explanation about the reasons to bet? Maybe with some examples. Thanks a lot!🙏🙏

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In Poker, there are two reasons to bet:
  1. To make worse hands call, or
  2. Better hands fold.
Reason 1 mainly boils down to:
You (think you) have the best hand, so you bet for value. If you have a "weak" hand, that can easily be beat by several outs, you also bet for protection. (Example: You hold 88 on a 2 4 7 flop.)

Reason 2 mainly is a bluff. Good bluff candidates are hands where you have a good possibility to draw to a better hand, like a flush or straight draw.

hope that helps.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
maybe some one else say another opinion about this question. I want to know that too

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Betting preflop is also important to keep the limpers away who want to see a cheap flop while you are having a good preflop hand.
And like Andy said post-flop to protect your hand or to increase the pot while you are having the nuts (the best hand).

Betting can give you information about the strength of the opponent's hand.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. As a bluff to push off potentially stronger hands.
2. As a big bet when you think you are strong to win a lot of chips.
3. As a bet early in a street hoping to build the pot and win at the end.

I

ionrosu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
In Poker, there are two reasons to bet:
  1. To make worse hands call, or
  2. Better hands fold.
Reason 1 mainly boils down to:
You (think you) have the best hand, so you bet for value. If you have a "weak" hand, that can easily be beat by several outs, you also bet for protection. (Example: You hold 88 on a 2 4 7 flop.)

Reason 2 mainly is a bluff. Good bluff candidates are hands where you have a good possibility to draw to a better hand, like a flush or straight draw.

hope that helps.
Thanks for your response. So let me understand. If I'm thinking that my hand is the best, I will make a small bet in order that people with weaker hands to call, and this would be a value bet. Here would be a mistake to make a huge bet, right? Because I think people with weaker hands will fold instead of calling.

Here for protection still hard to process. In your example we didn't hit the flop but we have a pair, here by "several outs" do you mean that, the villain could have like 22, 44, 77, or like some straight draw A3, A5? And another question would be if we didn't have any pair but something like AQ or AK here we can't talk about protection anymore right? So betting for protection would be when somehow we hit the flop, but we don't have the nuts or we have a pair but also isn't that strong?

And here for protection would be good a bigger bet? Like 50% of the pot?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thanks for your response. So let me understand. If I'm thinking that my hand is the best, I will make a small bet in order that people with weaker hands to call, and this would be a value bet. Here would be a mistake to make a huge bet, right? Because I think people with weaker hands will fold instead of calling.

Here for protection still hard to process. In your example we didn't hit the flop but we have a pair, here by "several outs" do you mean that, the villain could have like 22, 44, 77, or like some straight draw A3, A5? And another question would be if we didn't have any pair but something like AQ or AK here we can't talk about protection anymore right? So betting for protection would be when somehow we hit the flop, but we don't have the nuts or we have a pair but also isn't that strong?

And here for protection would be good a bigger bet? Like 50% of the pot?
In general, your bet size should never reveal the type of your bet. So you should not always opt for small value bets and large protection bets but mix your strategy.

In the protection example, holding 88 on this flop is most likely the best hand but as you said, several straight draws are out there A3/A5, 56, etc. but also all the higher cards can still hit a higher pair.

And yes, if you completely missed the flop with Broadways, you can't bet for protection. So you can either check and fold to a bet or try to bluff.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you taken the free CC 30-day course? If not I will recommend it, since it answer a lot of questions like this. But as others have said, the reasons for betting can basically be boiled down to:

* Value - getting a worse hand to call
* Bluff - getting a better hand to fold
* equity denial / protection - getting a worse hand, which still has equity, to fold

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are many reasons to bet, the mainly is when you've got the better hand or disguise it as one (bluff) IF THE POT WORTH IT.
Best of luck:).

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
You can place a bet to knock out the opponent's hand stronger than yours, which will be a threat to you, so knock out this hand and the second option if you do not have a strong card and the opponent has a weak hand, just knock out the opponent's hand, that is, we bluff to show our opponent that we have a strong hand

I

ionrosu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
Have you taken the free CC 30-day course? If not I will recommend it, since it answer a lot of questions like this. But as others have said, the reasons for betting can basically be boiled down to:

* Value - getting a worse hand to call
* Bluff - getting a better hand to fold
* Equity denial / protection - getting a worse hand, which still has equity, to fold
I read the first 11 days of the CC 30-day but It made me more confused and with many many questions. But thank you for your time 🙏🏼

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I read the first 11 days of the CC 30-day but It made me more confused and with many many questions. But thank you for your time 🙏🏼
Did you also watch the YouTube videos each day? You can also ask any questions relating to the individual lessons in the respective forum thread.

The course is intended for beginners, if I'm not mistaken. :)

I

ionrosu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
These videos are more detailed? I thought is the same as the pdf. Yes the course is for the beginners, but I feel under the beginner level :)). Maybe it's hard for me because I have no one to talk to about poker, and I wouldn't want to make a new post for every question I have. It would be too much. Thank you very much. I will give the clips on Youtube a try.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You bet to do one of two things:
Get better hands to fold; or
Get worse hands to call.

This should NOT however simply translate into betting big to get people to fold and betting small to get them to call.
It is much more subtle than that.

But your hand is not static. You start with only two cards, get 3 cards added via the flop and another couple via turn and river.
At each street (pre-flop, flop, turn, river) your hand changes. More importantly, your hand strength changes too.

Pre-Flop, with a strong hand, you're first to act. You might:
- Fold. But why fold a stronmg hand when the pot has not yet been opened?
- Call. Open limpoing is generally not a strong strategy.
- Raise. With a strong opening hand (e.g. Premium hands, mid+ pairs, mid+ suited connectors).

Why raise here?
Raising builds the pot.
Raising informs others that your hand strength is sufficient to contest the pot.
Raising pushes out the hands that should not get to see a flop too cheaply.
Raising adds protection to your position by forcing villains to pay to see further streets. The odds you give your opponent should correspond (to a certain extent) with the pot value, taking into account the danger associated with draws.

So let's say at least one opponent calls...and we go to the flop.

The flop will either:
Make your strong hand stronger.
Make your strong hand weaker.
Do nothing to improve or worsen or improve the situation.

So why might I continue betting?

In this case, I'm eithe in position (IP) or Out of position (OOP).
If I am out of position:
If villain raised my open raise, he becomes the aggressor. So in most situations, I will check back to the aggressor out of position. So out of position, I generally do not want to bet. Let the aggressor give some intel away with his check or bet...and then, if you are strong/nutty, you can look at check-raising, particularly on dry boards.

If I was OOP and aggressor checks the flop, then I need to make a decision on whether I bet the next street. if I think I'm ahead, I might bet (mostly because I don;'t like people to get free cards when I'm strong). Some portion of the time, they'll check the flop even if they remain in the lead, but this is less common among non-trappy players in low stakes games.

If I was the aggressor OOP, then I'm almopst always C-Betting. I'm building a pot. Villain thinks I'm strong as open raise and flop raise indicate. I'm not going to talk about bet sizing here as it muddies the waters and doesn't anwser the WHY BET question. I will be careful however when betting against small stacks which are likely to shove.

If I'm the aggressor IN POSITION, then I'm also typically C-Betting. But it does depend on how many people are in the pot. If I'm heads up,, I'm C-Betting 80% of flops. If 2 villains at the flop, That comes down to 50-80%. With more people in the pot, I'm generally only betting for value. Things can go sideways quickly and the pot can build too quickly when too many people are in the pot and then it becomes very dangerous to fight for the pot.

This is one of the biggest issues with pre-flop limping. You don't really know where you are when the flop hits...and even if you hit the flop, there are huge risks for monsters coming out. You really want to bet pre-flop to thin the pack out. Flop Bluffs have very little utility against a family pot (unless they are unreasonably large)...

C-Betting in position forces your opponent to have to call your pre-flop raise and then a post flop raise. If they haven't hit at this point (as is expected most of the time), a small C-bet is often enought to get tight players to fold. If players are loose or fishy, I may make this a small bet as I know they're going to call the bet. Trouble is you cannot bluff a fish/call-station...so against a fish, you unfortunately are only betting for value...

Fopr turn and River betting, it largely depends on the betting history and intel. If I think I'm ahead, I'll keep betting to protect my hand. By protection, I mean, you're not giving the villain free cards to catch up and overtake ytour hand strength. So make them pay for the privilege. Force them out of the hand. Generally, when I see flush and straight draws on the board, I want to bet larger to protect against people hanging around chasing the draw. Sometimes though, I'll check the turn to see if the flush draw comes through for villain, but generally, I'm betting against them hitting.

Check raising

Against an aggressive, bluffy player and against a wet board, if I've hit well, I'll sometimes check the flop out of position, even if I was the aggressor. I'll sometimes induce the bluff. But generally I like to be the one determining what the bet will be. CHECK never makes anyone run scared.

River betting

here its your last chance to get build the pot and it is your last chance to steal the pot.

Nutty or strong hand? Bet for value.
Swing and a miss on all streets? Bet to force the fold.

Generally, if I've stuck in the pot to the river, it's because I have something, so I'm bgetting the river quite often here...but I do take note of relative stack sizes. If I want to induce a shove, I make sure the bet sizing is such that the player becomes pot committed.

LONG STORY SHORT

I bet against nits to make them fold.
I bet against fish/LAGs to build the pot.

If I want the nit to stay in the hand, the bet will be small (or I'll check).
If I want the fish/LAG to stay in the hand, I'll bet and it may be bigger as I know they'll just call anyway.

If I want the nit to fold, its a nit...a small bet will do.
If I want to fish/LAG to fold...too bad. Its not what they do...so I generally don't try to bluff a fish/LAG.

Have a good evening.
See you on the felt.

JT

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello guys! I'm struggling to understand the reasons to bet. I saw some youtube videos, where they talk about betting for value, protection or as a bluff, but I can't understand it. Can someone provide me a more detailed explanation about the reasons to bet? Maybe with some examples. Thanks a lot!🙏🙏
@Andyreas post says it all and he is right. There are many really skilled players on the forums who would be happy to help you. If you have a question, ask it. If you play a hand and wonder if you could have player, it better post it and ask questions. You have been here quite a awhile with few posts. Post and ask and we will help you/ Your lucky to have found a great forum and group of people here who love to improve their games and help others. Join in the fun.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
oh -- I can't believe I forgot one other reason to bet... pre-flop ... thinning the pack. We don't want a family pot when the flop comes, especially if we're out of position. Betting pre-flop doesn't necessarily get better hands to fold, but it gets rid of hands that might become better on further streets.