One problem I have

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is that the strategy advice you see is based on the assumption that your opponent is making his best play. That simply isn’t true, particularly at low stakes.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
is that the strategy advice you see is based on the assumption that your opponent is making his best play. That simply isn’t true, particularly at low stakes.

Not sure I agree with you. Yes professional advise maybe based on this but one of the 1st things you will hear is its based on there correct play and you need to adjust your play to theirs and this is just a baseline. A lot of advice on the forums will not be based on perfect play but what people have learns while playing various levels. Trust me when i say this, my play is always changing based on the players at the table. I can be a nit when I need to be and a maniac as well.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure I agree with you. Yes professional advise maybe based on this but one of the 1st things you will hear is its based on there correct play and you need to adjust your play to theirs and this is just a baseline. A lot of advice on the forums will not be based on perfect play but what people have learns while playing various levels. Trust me when i say this, my play is always changing based on the players at the table. I can be a nit when I need to be and a maniac as well.

As an example, suppose villain goes all-in with 9-7o. An hour later he goes all-in with AA

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As an example, suppose villain goes all-in with 9-7o. An hour later he goes all-in with AA

I would need more info to say. What is the stack sizes? lose or tight and aggressive or passive. The 1st time could have just been a mis-click. Hell I have a friend who 3bet every time he has 69. Why, who knows some times

One thing I will say, dont always believe he is only pushing bad hands. His showing the 79o has everyone ready to call him lite but if only shove aces after that he may get paid. Some players show the bluff like that to set up the all in for a double up when they get a big hand if there lucky soon afterwards. Jonathan little ones said when he is 3bet by someone for the 1st time he will fold some pretty strong hands. If a hour later he does it again he will still respect him as it does not seem like he is pushing bad hands. A hour can be a long time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a very good point. There sure is benefits to knowing GTO strategies, and as you move up, you will need them more and more. But they are mostly a defensive measure against good opponents. If your opponents are bad, you want to figure out, what they do wrong and exploit them. This is the way to get a high winrate, which at the lower stakes you need to beat the rake and make it worth your time.

Not saying you have to go totally out of control, but you should certainly go for thinner value against the typical recreational player in the micros, who dont fold anything, and there is no point in trying to be balanced by "finding enough bluffs" and all that stuff. These opponents are playing for fun, and you dont need to prove to them, you can have bluffs in certain spots to make them call you down light later.

On the other side of the spectrum micro stakes games online also have many nitty and robotic regulars, who are usually playing a bunch of tables at the same time. In a lot of spots these guys just dont have any bluffs in their range, so there is no point in paying them off to "protect your range" or anything like that. Until they have proven, that they can 3-bet other hands than TT+ and AK, then just fold to their 3-bet, unless you also have one of those hands yourself, or maybe they make a sizing mistake and give you great odds to setmine.

The biggest mistake, people make in micro and low stakes games, is to use the same strategy against everyone. You will be facing wildly different types of opponents, and the way to get ahead is to use different strategies against them. This is why, its so important to either use a HUD or take notes and also simply pay attention to, whats going on at your tables.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In this case, I typically value bet more while also playing looser pre-flop if I am confident in my ability to outplay them post-flop. I want to see many flops with playable hands and apply decent pressure.

If the opponent is more prone to not playing optimally (or "correct"), then I usually give them more rope to make mistakes.

Unfortunately, this isn't special and I'm not the only one who tries this...I'm sure some players might even try this against me :D