Is pretending you are a dumb player a strategy in poker?

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Everyone knows that poker is a game of information. Is pretending to be a bad player and deliberately missing a few moves a good strategy against your opponents in poker?

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Everyone knows that poker is a game of information. Is pretending to be a bad player and deliberately missing a few moves a good strategy against your opponents in poker?
Well if you would look to cardchat games for example then some geniuses dont even pretend that :unsure:

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think that any missed chance, no matter how small, is a disadvantage, sometimes fatal for your stack, especially when it comes to paid places.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When they are talking about building your image at the table, I don't think they had your plan in mind.

Saul2025

Saul2025

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
If you think about creating your image on table... yeah, sure.
How long you are able to pretend? Which way?
Is investment worth to do that?

How exactly you would like to pretend?
3 street beting with marginal hands to showdown?
Or other way?

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it is a bad idea. I can always determine whether a player is truly a professional or whether he is playing loosely, this takes time. In live poker, sometimes you had to play several evenings at the same table with a person to understand how he plays. If a player uses a poker technique such as BlockBet or other techniques, then it becomes immediately clear that this player is not playing poker for the first time. In general, if you are a professional, then you will not be able to pretend to be a loose player, anyway, sooner or later you will start playing at full strength and then everything will become clear.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
be smart - play dumb
vice versa it doesn't work

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It depends on what situations and against which opponents, and this strategy does not always work out. But in some cases, when you play against a very aggressive player, you can play your strong cards passively. And vice versa, bet against careful players right away so that they don't catch their outs for free. Anyway, using this strategy, I can say that there may be a severe shortage of chips if the opponent doesn't start bluffing at you when you hide your hand strength.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Skipping moves against an aggressive player is fine, but against other players you will simply not collect chips and lose a lot because of this because you miss a turn and your opponent watches the next cards for free, then he can make a combination and you will lose so when you have a card, bet

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I often try to feign uncertainty/naivety with the nuts from the flop against aggressive players (or a very strong hand that is not 100%, but most likely the strongest in the hand) - bet 2bb into a pot of 70, think for a long time, etc. Speaking of thinking, if there is a mutipot planned preflop, and you have monsters - think for a very long time so that the opponents behind your back are not afraid of our snap call - maybe everyone already knows this, but I came to this myself after I snapped AA and after the end of the current hand people showed AK, JJ, etc. with glad they kept their chips :D:D

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely players will use this as a strategy. I tend to see it alot in rebuy tournaments.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
At a table it is not necessary to pretend, because the regular player is going to play 20 hands with you and will realize if you are a regular, or you are a recreational player, or you are an even worse fish.
For example, if you enter a table and instead of doing Open Raise which is what any regular player does, you limp for example with AA in UTG, the regular player is going to test you second, he will make you a ROLE at 5 BB and depending on your reaction he will see if you are a fish or if you are a tight or if you are a regular who pretends.
As my brother @A kiravio says, a strong or good hand, by wanting to pretend or act badly you can lose a lot of money or even an important tournament.
For example, this situation really happens a lot when a player hits a set on the flop, and depending on the flop he only calls or even checks until the river to see if he can catch you, he does not realize that the other player is getting the entire information that the turn or the river has, and that can even give you a better game than the set that the one who wants to catch you has.
In poker, every bad decision makes you lose money, always keep this in mind.
Greetings:):):)

robbieb

robbieb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Maybe in the early stages at low but no. Nothing stupid about playing AA, KK, QQ slow.

I

IrishinSpain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
At a table it is not necessary to pretend, because the regular player is going to play 20 hands with you and will realize if you are a regular, or you are a recreational player, or you are an even worse fish.
For example, if you enter a table and instead of doing Open Raise which is what any regular player does, you limp for example with AA in UTG, the regular player is going to test you second, he will make you a ROLE at 5 BB and depending on your reaction he will see if you are a fish or if you are a tight or if you are a regular who pretends.
As my brother @A kiravio says, a strong or good hand, by wanting to pretend or act badly you can lose a lot of money or even an important tournament.
For example, this situation really happens a lot when a player hits a set on the flop, and depending on the flop he only calls or even checks until the river to see if he can catch you, he does not realize that the other player is getting the entire information that the turn or the river has, and that can even give you a better game than the set that the one who wants to catch you has.
In poker, every bad decision makes you lose money, always keep this in mind.
And don't forget giving free turn and river cards can give the villain the cards that ultimately crush your AA for example villain ends up with 2 pair plus

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
And don't forget giving free turn and river cards can give the villain the cards that ultimately crush your AA for example villain ends up with 2 pair plus
That's why I make it clear brother.
Faking a situation so that the villain thinks you are a recreational player instead of a regular one is useless.
In my case in cash, when I started playing everyone gave me realies or went all in or paid me with nothing.
Today that I am playing in NL5 and in a short time, God willing, already playing in NL10, I can assure you that when I do Open Raise, many of those who previously played in one way against me, today they fold, or they play hands that they know that can beat me.
The study of the game, in my case with a coach and with hand study and videos about poker, is what totally differentiates the regular player from the recreational player.

ElScorcho008

ElScorcho008

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yea. You can really make people underestimate you, which is a huge advantage

C

crisbeas7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
i think this game has made for a realy lucky people and very good probability readers, but i play for hobbie and its fun

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Some regulars do it, but they know who they do it with, it is generally with recreational players, because the regulars who pay attention to the game usually identify well the strategies of the other regulars.

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
for sure its a good strategy. but it might not last long